PDA

View Full Version : more cook county nonsense

vantec08
05-30-2011, 4:32 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/ct-met-cook-county-gun-club-20110529,0,3306756.story

Lean on em, hassle em, etc. etc.

ccmc
05-30-2011, 4:49 AM
They owned the land in the '60s, then they had to lease it from Cook County? What happened? Did they sell voluntarily or was eminent domain involved?

Wernher von Browning
05-30-2011, 6:24 AM
Hey, it's Crook County, whaddya expect?

Reading that, I remember there used to be a public skeet range near the Belmont beach, you could see the houses from Lake Shore Drive. Operated by the Chicaga Park District. That must be the North Shore Gun Club that one commenter mentions. That club has just about disappeared from public memory.

randian
05-30-2011, 3:18 PM
They owned the land in the '60s, then they had to lease it from Cook County? What happened? Did they sell voluntarily or was eminent domain involved?
They only own the clubhouse. The land next door, over which firing is done, is owned by the county because they took it (eminent domain) for highway construction but apparently never built a roadway on it. You stand on club land while firing over public land.

CharlesV
05-31-2011, 7:00 AM
Im from Chicago. I read the article and the poster didnt realize he struck some magic chords about changes occuring in the country, not just the gun club.

About the article itself, the supervisor gave a very lame excuse for closing the range and i disagree with him but the club doesnt appear to have much ability to fight.

This event is far different than the more permissive Chicagoan society that existed at the time the gun club was formed--that was Al Capone's era after all. But "mixed use" as a means to disband a club doesnt speak for the new conservatism that is attempting to sweep the country and Illinois, Obamas home state, is trying all sorts of things.

If Obama succeeds in banning lead, guns one by one like certain shotguns, closing clubs and ranges quietly, what will stop him from telling gun owners one day soon: Well youve got no ammo and no place to shoot ammo if you did have ammo, so what for you need a gun?

All of our lives we've taken for granted and leaned on the Constitution as our salvation and societal foundation. So much so that we wouldnt have a clue how to fight for these rights and liberties if we lost them. Its not a just small gun club in Chicago under attack as an isolated incident, its more.

Untamed1972
05-31-2011, 7:43 AM
Im from Chicago. I read the article and the poster didnt realize he struck some magic chords about changes occuring in the country, not just the gun club.

About the article itself, the supervisor gave a very lame excuse for closing the range and i disagree with him but the club doesnt appear to have much ability to fight.

This event is far different than the more permissive Chicagoan society that existed at the time the gun club was formed--that was Al Capone's era after all. But "mixed use" as a means to disband a club doesnt speak for the new conservatism that is attempting to sweep the country and Illinois, Obamas home state, is trying all sorts of things.

If Obama succeeds in banning lead, guns one by one like certain shotguns, closing clubs and ranges quietly, what will stop him from telling gun owners one day soon: Well youve got no ammo and no place to shoot ammo if you did have ammo, so what for you need a gun?

All of our lives we've taken for granted and leaned on the Constitution as our salvation and societal foundation. So much so that we wouldnt have a clue how to fight for these rights and liberties if we lost them. Its not a just small gun club in Chicago under attack as an isolated incident, its more.

I can think of one easy and simple answer to that question......"To overthrow your tyrannical Gov't Sir!"