PDA

View Full Version : Would you shoot this ammo through your AR

br317
05-30-2011, 1:35 AM
So i decided to finally purchase my first ar. An lmt 16" chrome lined 1:7 twist 5.56 barrel upper.
I've been looking into what ammo to run and read brass is best so I'll probably go with federal or pmc. Though I've also read some people don't have any problems running steel case ammo and found this ammo at centerfiresystems http://centerfiresystems.com/AM223111-P.aspx the homepage also says for memorial weekend free shipping for orders over $50.
or maybe even brown bear ammo?
For the price it's cheap but I know you get what you pay for. It says it's wolf and I know it runs pretty dirty and to not shoot brass afterwards unless cleaned out. Am thinking this would be great for cheap plinking ammo at the range.
So just wondering if anyones tried this ammo out and how were they?

JeffM
05-30-2011, 2:30 AM
Works fine for the range. The money you save will buy you a new gun before the ammo causes excess wear or damages anything (that's assuming you're starting with quality parts to begin with). Substandard parts guns, or tight precision guns, will choke on Wolf.

I wouldn't take it to a class with it or trust my life to it (in an AR that is, I would in an AK. Says more about the reliability of the AR platform than the quality of the ammo).

The War Wagon
05-30-2011, 2:50 AM
As bottom-of-the-barrel/last stand ammo? Yes. But ONLY then!

I have 600 rounds of the older laquered stuff, that I got in a deal a few yeras ago. It's on the bottom of one of my 40mm cans, but I have 12K+ of the brass-cased stuff to blow through FIRST. :43:

Steel cased ammo works GREAT... in your AK. Use it there with confidence! :thumbsup: AR's were designed with brass-cased ammo in mind - especially lower tier AR's without Wylde chambers, or even questionable 5.56 chambers <<<COUGH, COUGH... DPMS... COUGH, COUGH>>>, where you're quite likey to run into FTF/FTE issues. Steel case is also known to break extractors sooner, and while some people think breaking extractors is no big deal, I'd RATHER be shooting MY AR, than waiting on parts to arrive, and then wrenching on it. :o

I'm only an ammo snob by experience - caveat emptor. :oops:

Merc1138
05-30-2011, 2:53 AM
Unless you've done something silly with your AR, it should work fine. People run into problems with the cheap Russian ammo when they've played around with buffer springs and different weight buffers. Yes you should probably clean the chamber out before switching to brass. No I wouldn't rely on Russian ammo in my AR for a class or defense but for the range who cares. The one failure to extract I've had with it at the range doesn't bother me at all.

JeffM
05-30-2011, 3:21 AM
As bottom-of-the-barrel/last stand ammo? Yes. But ONLY then!

I have 600 rounds of the older laquered stuff, that I got in a deal a few yeras ago. It's on the bottom of one of my 40mm cans, but I have 12K+ of the brass-cased stuff to blow through FIRST. :43:

Steel cased ammo works GREAT... in your AK. Use it there with confidence! :thumbsup: AR's were designed with brass-cased ammo in mind - especially lower tier AR's without Wylde chambers, or even questionable 5.56 chambers <<<COUGH, COUGH... DPMS... COUGH, COUGH>>>, where you're quite likey to run into FTF/FTE issues. Steel case is also known to break extractors sooner, and while some people think breaking extractors is no big deal, I'd RATHER be shooting MY AR, than waiting on parts to arrive, and then wrenching on it. :o

I'm only an ammo snob by experience - caveat emptor. :oops:

If you shoot an AR, you should already have spare parts on-hand. They are prone to breakage regardless the ammo you use.

sonnyt650
05-30-2011, 6:17 AM
My advice is to buy in small quantities first and have other stuff to compare it against. If it works great you haven't commited to anything, and sales come along often enough that you'll only be out of luck if TEOTW happens in the next month or so. If you dropped some cash on a whole case with no experience with it, you might be back here complaining about the quality versus just buying more of the better-for-your purpose stuff.

r3dn3ck
05-30-2011, 6:25 AM
I got 3" groups with that wolf junk. I put in remington 55gn (in a 1:8 twist barrel) and got 1" groups. I put in my handloads and got <.5" groups. Wolf functions, that's about it.

PatriotnMore
05-30-2011, 6:30 AM
No problem, just clean your rifle well after shooting, ammo tends to run a bit on the dirty side.

paladin4415
05-30-2011, 6:46 AM
For less than $100.00 more you can get 1000rds of better ammo delivered to your door. $296.50 shipped!
http://palmettostatearmory.com/500.php

a1fabweld
05-30-2011, 6:58 AM
I make it a point to occasionally run steel cased ammo through all my AR's just to make sure they are not finicky.

DRM6000
05-30-2011, 8:08 AM
your LMT upper may not cycle wolf because it has a smaller gas port. mine would short stroke after a couple of rounds. i had no problems shooting pmc or m193 or other similar full power rounds.

i opened up the gas port and wolf ammo cycled fine. ymmv.

i've run though a couple thousand rounds of hornady's steel cased training ammo and did not experience any problems due to the case.

m35a2
05-30-2011, 8:20 AM
I bought a mess of Wolf just to see what happens what with all the negativity about steel case stuff it ARs. Yup, it's dirty. Had some failure to feeds, but those were mag issues, PMC did it too in the same mag. After 400 or so. had a stuck case. Popped it out and it was a tad on the black side. Ran a bore snake through it and it was gtg for another 400 or so. I saved the cases that were stuck and took things apart when I got home. The rims were peeled on the stuck cases, no damage to the extractor, bolt face is clean and there was no damage to the PMC brass I fired after the Wolf.

I'd say run it and have some fun.

r6raff
05-30-2011, 8:49 AM
I just went shooting yesterday, put about 300 rounds of Tula (not wolf I know) through my AR. At about 150 rounds I started getting FTF every 3rd of 4th round, lubed the bcg, no issues after that. When I cleaned my rifle it was pretty damn bad, I had never seen my weapon that dirty before, and I have put over 1k rounds of xm193 down the pipe in 1 sitting before, btw that day I have ZERO malfunctions. As a matter of fact yesterday was the first time I had a non magazine related malfunction. I was shooting a 8"x8" steel plate at 100meters, it went ping 99% of the time, but I am not sure how accurate it really is, could have been all over that plate as far as I know.

My conclusion, it works... albeit, you should make sure you have some lube of some sort because that russian stuff is very dirty and can make a difference. Had I followed my gut and put a drop on the bcg at about 100 rounds I probably wouldn't have experienced any issues. As for SHTF, I would use it, but I would really hate to depend on it, I much rather run xm193. I have put atleast 5k rounds through my BCM in the last several months without a single issue, also a couple thousand fiocchi .223 a thousand or so PCM Gold... Not until Yesterday did I have a hiccup.

The steel cased stuff is just really really really dirty.

Just buy XM193, shoot it, collect the brass, tumble it and then sell it on the forum... that brings your $300 per 1k down to $250 or so, minus the one time cost of the tumbler $50-$100 and then media (which is stupid cheap).

glock_this
05-30-2011, 9:06 AM
I wont fire Wolf or Bear or any steel ammo in my weapons.

AND, some indoor ranges will not even allow it. My main indoor range, no Wolf allowed - not that I would shoot it anyway.

NYY
05-30-2011, 9:11 AM
$200 for a thousand? ... never shot AR yet? Personally i wouldnt break it in with that.. Id use high quality ammo to break it in first, at least. But thats just my way of thinking.. maybe not 100% necessary

missiontrails
05-30-2011, 10:12 AM
For less than $100.00 more you can get 1000rds of better ammo delivered to your door. $296.50 shipped!
http://palmettostatearmory.com/500.php

I have been preaching that.... but it falls upon deaf ears.

Droppin Deuces
05-30-2011, 10:16 AM
I have been preaching that.... but it falls upon deaf ears.

Probably because $100 is a lot of money to some people.

r6raff
05-30-2011, 10:24 AM

Plus it adds up, if you only shoot 1k rounds a year that extra hundred is moot, but if you shot 5000 rounds a year thats an extra 500 buck you just spent on the same amout of trigger time... However Im with Missiontrails regarding the steel case, to me its worth the extra cost of decent brass cased vs the cheaper alternative... but to me it isnt really the money, its the reliability, the maintenance and accuracy... in that order.

Droppin Deuces
05-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Well, I primarily plink with a piston gun, and it has never had a failure of any sort with Russian ammo. I know that in missiontrails' eyes, that just means my gun is a cheap POS, and that's all well and good. I shoot mostly brass and load my own, but I don't turn my nose up at steel ammo thinking that my shooting experience is somehow diminished because of it. But again, I haven't shot Wolf or any kind of lacquer coated ammo, so...

Erin
05-30-2011, 10:47 AM
the new polymer coating is just fine. the old laquer mucks up chambers over time

chesterthehero
05-30-2011, 10:59 AM
thats prettymuch the only ammo i run through my ARs... works like a dream

br317
05-30-2011, 1:12 PM
Thank you everyone for your input. I might buy 500 rounds to test it out and if it works then great I'll know my rifle has no problems with steel cased. I'll also be buying some Federal XM193F as well from the local shop to shoot first and then probably a case from palmettostatearmory since that's a great deal.

afro
05-30-2011, 1:52 PM
Some people don't like it because it dirties up their pretty barbie rifles. Other people don't care and shoot it for how cheap it is (more trigger time for same amount spent) and usually don't have many issues, if at all.

That said if I were a reloader I'd opt for brass just for the cases.

The War Wagon
05-30-2011, 2:04 PM
If you shoot an AR, you should already have spare parts on-hand. They are prone to breakage regardless the ammo you use.

Yep - especially since I own 5 AR's, and am close to starting a 6th. And I've replaced extractos before. Just don't care to do it any sooner than I have to. Brass-cased ammo is a small price to pay, in my book.

missiontrails
05-30-2011, 3:33 PM

I work to shoot:) lol

MUKAK
05-30-2011, 4:51 PM
i just ordered that ammo u talking bout for 199

ill let u know how they shoot

:D