PDA

View Full Version : Possible to store a gun elsewhere?

DavidCA916
05-30-2011, 1:00 AM
I live at home and want to build an AR15, but my parents said no guns in this household. Is there anywhere else I could keep it legally/easily/cheaply?

Spetsnazos
05-30-2011, 1:08 AM
Not entirely sure its legal if they own the place but you could always keep it disassembleD?

DavidCA916
05-30-2011, 1:13 AM
Not entirely sure its legal if they own the place but you could always keep it disassembleD?
Well I mean I don't wanna break my parents rules and have gun parts here...talking about like a friends or a gun storage place (if such exists), etc?

luckystrike
05-30-2011, 1:16 AM
no such thing as a gunstorage place, if it is left with a friend, it has to be a friend that you trust %100 to not F with it, be stupid or show it to friends and what not. Personally I would keep it hidden, breaking a little rule is better than risking something bad happening with it or it getting stolen.

PEBKAC
05-30-2011, 2:03 AM
No strictly speaking legal issues that I know of unless there are felons or felonious activity in the home you would be storing them. That would be a no-no.

Several of my friends have this problem. Hell strictly speaking I had this problem.

Several solutions were explored:
-Storage lockers. They can work, but are less than optimally secure (unless you find one with lockers inside a warehouse that locks up after a certain time) and are expensive (can run over $50 a month easily). Also may have policies against storing guns...typically the less of a chain it is the more likely this will work. Can be semi affordable if enough people pitch in, also provides a place for assorted crap that you don't want to keep in the house for whatever reason. Heck you might be able to get the parents to pitch in if they can store some of their crap in there.
-Hiding them. Easy way to tick off the parents...if they find them. Nobody actually went with this per se, though there was a period of time where "the trunk" of a friends car was the "gunsafe". Yeah that didn't work brilliantly as he had to park off campus for the last 4 months of high school.
-Friends with gun safes. This was the solution ultimately settled upon by them as they trust the person with it. Only real downside is that retrieving them can be nothing short of a travesty of poor planning and "wait, you aren't up yet?".
-Convince parents there really isn't anything to be worried about as an unloaded or disassembled gun is about as dangerous as a coat hanger. This was what ended up working for me. Obviously if small children have a propensity to be shamble around the house looking for something to break this argument is less likely to work.

slomofo
05-30-2011, 2:19 AM
Live in you parents house, follow their rules, don't even worry about buying a gun. Wait til you move out on your own and then do what you want.

Spetsnazos
05-30-2011, 2:19 AM
I would rather hide it in my parents house than leave it with a random friend...

joe84780
05-30-2011, 6:20 AM
Live in you parents house, follow their rules, don't even worry about buying a gun. Wait til you move out on your own and then do what you want.

+1

If the reason you're still at home is financial, then the last thing you should be doing is spending cash on an AR. Save your $$$ and move out. Then no worries about the rules.

If the reason you're still at home is something other than $$$, then you can store at my house in my safe. I will only asses you a small storage fee of 200 rounds of .223 per month. :)

dotalchemy
05-30-2011, 6:24 AM
My wife said I couldn't have guns in the house too.

Now she lives in Virginia and I have guns.

There's always a solution, my friend.

paratroop
05-30-2011, 7:56 AM
just get the gun. the man with the gun makes the rules. then you can make the parent figures move into the garage, and you can call them "roommates"

CSACANNONEER
05-30-2011, 8:01 AM
no such thing as a gunstorage place,
:confused::confused: Really? I know of many indoor ranges that rent lockes for people to store firearms in. Also, I am aware of more than a few out of state places that have made a fortune off Californians who have legally stored their unregistered AWs there since the whole CA AW thing began. So, there are plenty of gun storage places around.

romeo26
05-30-2011, 9:08 AM
dude...i was in the same situation as you. My bro in-law and i got into shooting, we were hitting the range soo much with the rental money we could of bought our own guns. I talked to my parents about using there firearms, but they declined, 5 guns sitting in a safe...soo sad. worse is my mom said no guns in the house. I bought my first handgun, and found some place to hide it securely in its case and to shoot i would put the case in my backpack. now since i got a scar17 for graduation, i got a locker put in my room. I told my parents that i needed a place for my laptops and photo equipment. I keep it locked all the time and have the scar in a locked case in the locker.

thats what i did!

drifter001
05-30-2011, 9:15 AM
dude...i was in the same situation as you. My bro in-law and i got into shooting, we were hitting the range soo much with the rental money we could of bought our own guns. I talked to my parents about using there firearms, but they declined, 5 guns sitting in a safe...soo sad. worse is my mom said no guns in the house. I bought my first handgun, and found some place to hide it securely in its case and to shoot i would put the case in my backpack. now since i got a scar17 for graduation, i got a locker put in my room. I told my parents that i needed a place for my laptops and photo equipment. I keep it locked all the time and have the scar in a locked case in the locker.

thats what i did!

this is brilliant lol

coy80176
05-30-2011, 9:16 AM
and get a safe, because your first won't be your last:)

romeo26
05-30-2011, 9:26 AM
this is brilliant lol

it works!

and get a safe, because your first won't be your last:)

aint that the truth.

metalliman545
05-30-2011, 9:44 AM
Get a lock on your closet. When I lived at home(thank god I moved out at 18) my parents knew I had one gun in the locked closet I had a key for. Yea they knew about one gun ;p lol.

CK_32
05-30-2011, 9:55 AM
My parents were and are the same way. I bought mine and hid it for 3 months before they found it. They still hate it and complain just about everytime they see it. My parents are almost anti gun as it gets until for 3 months we had one care stolen right from our driveway one trunk yestrunk only stolen from a car and we had an altercation with them (uncle was ex kick boxer/ju jutsu trainer) that went well haha really it did but then we had some cholos a week later scoping my cars and I pulled out my AR while we watched they and my parents heart sank but they knew if they came in they would need this. So they scoped the house after the cars and I went out side no gun and asked if we could help them after the cops were called they left and the cops did nothing but have them on their way.

Ever since that night my parents now understand why I have these fire arms in this house for that exact reason. I'm not sayin you have to do what I did but learn all you can and when they yell about having a fire arm in the house I argue back please tell me what u know about it and just shut them up. They will still be bitter about it but the more they understand you know what your doing the more they come around to listening and learnering it's not that bad after all. Again took 6 months.

And a huge argument after you fact their asses out this one seemed to stick with my parents about me explaining how I could have the fire arm and it couldn't kill a person and threatened to bring it out and nothing would ever happen because it is unloaded and it is nothing more than a piece of metal with out the ammo I have stored. So the knife in the kitchen has more killing power than my rifle will. And e plain all the safety rules and procautions I know.

So good luck.

dieselpower
05-30-2011, 10:11 AM
Parents with, "My house my rules" attitudes are sociopaths. As long as your kids are not breaking any laws, why do it?

Sit your parents down and talk to them like an adult. If they say, No discussion, No guns. Fine tell them you are going g to keep the firearm at a friends house.

Yes, you can be held responsible for what your friend does. Your decision to keep the gun at that persons house will be questioned. If you know of ANY reason why this person would not be trust worthy, and then they do in fact do something illegal or improper, that knowledge can be used to show you are just as responsible.

Case in point. New York, about 8 years ago. A guy left a handgun at a buddies house. The buddy was an alcoholic, and was known to be violent when drunk. He used the gun to shoot his neighbor. The owner was held liable by a civil jury since he knew his buddy was not capable of rational thinking when drunk and left a gun in his home.

You can ask Gun stores if they know of legal places to store firearms. You could even ask your parents if they know someone they trust, if you don't know anyone yourself.

That is also a good way to ease your parents into allowing you to keep the firearm at home. When they say, NO, ask them if they know of someone trust worthy to keep the firearm. When they ask why, explain that you are not comfortable leaving a firearm at any of your friends homes. Since THEY don't trust you or themselves around firearms, maybe they know of a person who is trust worthy?

Its kind of silly isnt it...your parents not trusting themselves with a firearm in the home...LOL like they are going to turn into some crack addict in the middle of the night and rob a store just because a firearm is in the house...LOL

chead
05-30-2011, 10:16 AM
Some ranges offer gun storage, but I doubt it's cheap.

frankm
05-30-2011, 10:21 AM
Ask them if you could keep it if it's disassembled and you never assemble it at home.

r6raff
05-30-2011, 10:23 AM
Its funny how people are so afraid of guns, a butcher knife is more dangerous sitting on the counter than an unloaded rifle. Fear is fear though, regardless of how unrational it may be.

I agree, talk with your parents like an adult, explain to them the reasons why you want a weapon and why you believe their fears are unfounded. Explain to them you will store it broken down, with a barrel lock and in a locked safe. However, if they are just anti because they are, then I guess you are SOL, and have 3 choices. Move out of the house, break the rules or wait to buy your firearm.

Personally, I would move out... if you can't afford it, then maybe you should save your money for a place instead of spending money on weapons they you arent allowed to have.

GoodLuck buddy

jim91505
05-30-2011, 10:44 AM
If you have to ask, then no, there is no place.

rareair
05-30-2011, 10:45 AM
..... I talked to my parents about using there firearms, but they declined, 5 guns sitting in a safe...soo sad. worse is my mom said no guns in the house.

This doesn't make any sense :confused:

r6raff
05-30-2011, 10:55 AM
..... I talked to my parents about using there firearms, but they declined, 5 guns sitting in a safe...soo sad. worse is my mom said no guns in the house.

I was thinking the same thing... Hypocritical parents much... Classic do as I say not as I do.

romeo26
05-30-2011, 10:59 AM

Tell me about it. I think my parents think we are not responsible enough to handle a firearm. My dad has a box of 45 in there room and a mag ready to go.

I can see were my mom is coming from. I guess she thinks they have enough guns for HD, and it would be a waist for having some for a hobby.

I did offer to take them to the range, to show them that i know proper gun safety. My mom said she would like to go, just to see why I go alot.

My dad on the other hand seems like he never had a comment about guns or me owning them, and is he doesn't see interested in going to the range.

CSACANNONEER
05-30-2011, 11:26 AM
Tell me about it. I think my parents think we are not responsible enough to handle a firearm. My dad has a box of 45 in there room and a mag ready to go.

I can see were my mom is coming from. I guess she thinks they have enough guns for HD, and it would be a waist for having some for a hobby.

I did offer to take them to the range, to show them that i know proper gun safety. My mom said she would like to go, just to see why I go alot.

My dad on the other hand seems like he never had a comment about guns or me owning them, and is he doesn't see interested in going to the range.

Wears Ohsmily win U needs im?

Seriously, reading this post hurts my head. I just hope your maturity level is a lot higher than your writing level is.:p BTW, I'm far from the best wrier in the world but, this post was either made by someone who never past the third grade or by someone who is just learning english as a second language.

Now, to get back on track. You guys all sound extremely young and, some sound too immature to own firearms. If you don't have enough respect to honor your parent's wishes, while living under their roof, MOVE OUT and grow up. Sneaking around and hiding anything they don't want in their home only goes to show that you do not respect them and are probably too immature to safely handle firearms. Maybe, they realize this and that is why they have made these rules. Instead of arguing with them about it, prove to them that you are mature and responsible enough to handle (and maybe even own) firearms by acting like an adult instead of a sneaky child trying to hide something from them.

Spetsnazos
05-30-2011, 12:06 PM
parents are irrational often. It is not really practical to move out in CA until you find a good career after college. One gun and ammo won't pay for rent anywhere so this whole thing of save until you move out mkes a billion sense.

HKROB
05-30-2011, 1:51 PM
You can always get a safe deposit box at a bank. Not sure how big they are but it might be worth looking into. Keep the upper at home and the rest in the box.

CSACANNONEER
05-30-2011, 2:23 PM
parents are irrational often.

I'm assuming that you are between 14 and 23 and now know everything. Yea, most parents are irrational as far as many in that age braket are concerned. Give it a few more years and MAYBE you'll gain enough sense to understand just how rational parents are in relation to their dumb, know-it-all, children.

BTW, I'm not a parent, just a big kid with a few extra years of wisdom and experience under my belt.

Spetsnazos
05-30-2011, 2:28 PM
I'm assuming that you are between 14 and 23 and now know everything. Yea, most parents are irrational as far as many in that age braket are concerned. Give it a few more years and MAYBE you'll gain enough sense to understand just how rational parents are in relation to their dumb, know-it-all, children.

BTW, I'm not a parent, just a big kid with a few extra years of wisdom and experience under my belt.

older =! wiser.