View Full Version : Quick question about 7.62x54R...

12-11-2006, 5:50 PM
If I am shooting it out of a 91/30, is light or heavy ball more accurate? Also, what is your guys favorite country for milsurp? and I know that the lacquered cases are not a good idea for semi autos, but will it really matter in a mosin? thanks for the help (only 8 more days till I get to pick mine up :D)

12-11-2006, 6:14 PM
as far as which is more accurate you will have to let your rifle tell you. some like light ball some like heavy ball.lacquered cases are fine in a bolt action. May cause some lacquer buildup in the chamber (easily cleaned with a brush some 0000 steel wool solvent and a drill). As far as country my favorite to shoot is czech silvertip (although it has sticky bolt syndrome from the lacquer) Albanian is good also it is brass cased but exhibits neck splits from time to time(not really a problem) and has some funky case dents in the shoulder(again not a problem) I have some hungarian heavy ball I have not had a chance to shoot yet.Wolf is good because you can skip the corrosive cleaning with water and put off cleaning your rifle but it is much more expensive than milsurp.

12-11-2006, 6:18 PM
Polish hands down. Just about everybody loves this stuff and its almost universal (as far as performance). Only problem is it dried up

12-11-2006, 6:35 PM
ok, well considering that it is about 15 dollars for 100 rounds, I think Ill get a little bit of everything.

M. Sage
12-11-2006, 8:15 PM
Mine seems to like heavier. 200 grain soft-point. Hungarian yellow tip. That kinda stuff.

I haven't had trouble with lacquered cases....

DON'T use steel wool to clean your chamber!!! Think about it... Steel wool is gonna remove material. Use a 20 gauge bronze or nylon brush instead.

12-11-2006, 8:38 PM
0000 steel wool should be fine. One of the recommended uses for it by a steel wool manufacturer is "Clean precision tools and instruments."

12-11-2006, 8:40 PM
Mine likes the Czech silvertip.

12-11-2006, 10:03 PM
I've used Czech silver tip and the Albanian. Albanian sticks more in my 91/30. Accuracy seems about the same.

12-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Make sure you have a place to shoot that allows steel core ammo if you get the silvertip.

12-11-2006, 10:17 PM
I shoot the silver/ blue box stuff (sorry, I'm illeterate about this ammo) and have had EXCELENT results with it in my rifle. But I modified mine a little so I suppose it might not help.

Mine had what looked like a sewer pipe for a barrel I I chopped it back to 17 inches with a hack saw (call me bubba), evened up the crown with a table grinder and dropped it in a synthetic stock with a turned down bolt and "scout" mount & NC Star scope. Ugly...you bet. Hell, I put it together for under $150. It shoots 1.5 or better at 100 yards with the blue/ silver box import stuff.

I used a home made electric bore cleaner on the barrel and was suprised at what rifling it had left.

Don't forget to clean it with windex afterwards to avoid more corrosion of the barrel.

12-12-2006, 12:25 AM
Make sure you have a place to shoot that allows steel core ammo if you get the silvertip.

ammo/gun restrictions at my range: you have to carry it in.

12-12-2006, 1:56 AM
I envy you...