PDA

View Full Version : M1 carbine

10fcp
05-29-2011, 7:14 PM
Where can you get one of these? Most all places on gun broker say no shipping to CA. I wasn't aware of anything about those that would make them illegal to have. I'd like a new one, Auto Ordinance doesn't show them on their web site anymore.

Pred@tor
05-29-2011, 7:15 PM
You might wanan try the C&R forum but you can get them almost anywhere. Hell I got one for free years ago.

Lathe
05-29-2011, 7:23 PM
I know Big 5 had a modern production of them in their ad last week for around $600. They are fun rifles just $$$ to shoot. If you do get one I would look online for ammo. That or reload your own stuff.

Lathe
05-29-2011, 7:27 PM
Here is the link to the Auto Ordnance one at Big 5 (http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.com/big5/Default.aspx?action=browsepagedetail&storeid=2503823&rapid=1172452&listingid=-2083839406&pretailerid=-98565)

SoCal Bob
05-29-2011, 7:27 PM
They show up on a regular basis in the Marketplace forum. There is a difference between a USGI version and a modern version. Some of the posts say that the Big 5 military versions are practically worn out so please spend some quality time learning about the M1 Carbine so you can get one that you will enjoy. Good luck.

tujungatoes
05-29-2011, 7:30 PM
I'd recommend you stay away from the new ones. Get yourself a good ol' USGI carbine. They're some of the most fun guns to shoot. I'd start by looking at your local gun shops and hitting up a gunshow. There's alyays a few floating around.

shooterdude
05-29-2011, 8:12 PM
This place usually has a few in stock: http://www.retting.com/ They are located at Washington & Sepulveda in Culver City.

.30 Carbines are very cool but I suspect the novelty wears off when you realize how expensive the ammo can become if you shoot it often and then what's the point of a gun that you hate to enjoy ;-)

deadcoyote
05-29-2011, 8:17 PM
For what it's worth I've heard good things about the modern Auto Ordnance carbines. I can say I once owned a non-gi Universal brand M1 carbine, total garbage!!

Scutler
05-29-2011, 8:53 PM
My Big 5 in San Ramon carries a USGI model. It retails for $999. The markings on it were "General Motors".

mls343
05-30-2011, 6:52 AM
My $0,02, stay with the USGI carbines over the new manufacturerd ones. There are still deals out there.

m35a2
05-30-2011, 8:34 AM
Watch the ones at Big5, they are beat up and mix masters. I have an early Universal, it's all GI except for the barrel and receiver and the trigger housing was aluminum and was secured with roll pins that needed to be driven out every time it was cleaned...I didn't like that. It is early enough that the stock is cut as the USGI ones were for the trigger group. I aquired a NOS complete trigger group and the pins and it slid right into place. If you can find an early Universal, pick it up. They are good toys. Yes the ammo is expensive.

Read here about the Universal guns,

http://www.maxicon.com/guns/universal_m1/universal_m1_carbine.htm

morrcarr67
05-30-2011, 9:27 AM
Where can you get one of these? Most all places on gun broker say no shipping to CA. I wasn't aware of anything about those that would make them illegal to have. I'd like a new one, Auto Ordinance doesn't show them on their web site anymore.

There are two reasons someone will not ship this to CA. Because he doesn't want to deal with the CFLEC program or because of the ultra hi cap 15 round magazine.

shansei arsenal
05-30-2011, 9:30 AM
US firearms in Sunnyvale has three on the shelf when I was there last week.
Ask for Eric, he's the owner and is very knowledgeable and a great guy to deal with.

Mail Clerk
05-30-2011, 12:47 PM

10fcp,

The last time I saw recently Big 5 had them in the new..... They are suppose to be true new productions using modern machinery from Kahrs factory. These are not parts guns/rifles!!!!

Mail Clerk

vincewarde
05-30-2011, 3:56 PM
I have an M1 Carbine, and several other semi-autos. My thoughts are:

As others have mentioned, .30 carbine is expensive - unless you reload. Reloading with jacketed costs about what .223 cost if you hunt the net for cheap bullets. If you cast your own bullets, they are downright cheap to shoot - and yes the do shoot cast just fine. IMHO this is the biggest advantage.

The M1 Carbine does have some disadvantages - the worst of which is the difficulty in mounting optics. Ejection is straight up - which makes even a side mounted scope problematical. After trying several other methods, I finally bought a forward mounting rail - I have both a 2x scope and a Red Dot set up for my carbine. They lack accuracy beyond 100 yards, but that may not be a problem for you. Many people would call the 30 carbine under powered, while other point out that it packs the same energy as a .357. The reality is that as a rifle, it is fairly low powered.

If I were shopping today, I would probably choose an SU-16CA instead. Ammo is much more available, brass is cheap and it uses AR mags. In addition optics mounting is as easy as using the provided rail. Also, .223 packs a lot more punch.

The main reason I have held onto mine is that I own pre-ban mags.

I hope this helps!

The Virus
05-30-2011, 7:02 PM
Oak Tree Gun Club proshop

GunDog
05-30-2011, 8:15 PM
Saw two very nice M1 Carbines with beautifully finished oiled stocks at Bolsa Gunsmithing in Westminster this past Friday; one was a Winchester and the other was a National Postal Meter.