PDA

View Full Version : Modesto area

1911_fanatic
12-11-2006, 3:46 PM
Hey everyone im new to this forum, i was wondering if anyone knew of a Blm area near modesto/Oakdale area for some target shooting? Thanks in advance

1911_fanatic
12-12-2006, 4:47 AM
:confused:

Mize
12-12-2006, 8:56 PM
I don't know of any, but would be interested too

BigMac
12-13-2006, 7:23 AM
I don't believe there is any "close". Panoche Hills is probably the closest.

You can check with the CA BLM website for locations to shoot.
http://www.blm.gov/ca/

1911_fanatic
12-13-2006, 1:31 PM
maybe in stanislaus national forrest

esbm308
12-15-2006, 10:00 AM
I'm new to this forum too. I live near Sonora and I don't know of any BLM land to target shoot. I belong to the local gun club and that is where I shoot.
If you decide to shoot in the Stanislaus National Forest bear in mind that most of the gates are closed this time of year, so you will be very limited as to where you can shoot in a safe manner. Remember don't shoot the trees, the forest service frowns on this.

brighamr
12-15-2006, 10:46 AM
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/stanislaus/maps/recmap/map_2x2.jpg

This is the closest place to Sonora, and/or modesto that I know of

1911_fanatic
12-16-2006, 5:48 PM
Went up there friday, talked to the rangers at the mi wok village station, bought a map for 6.50 and went out. i found a spot up past mi wok just a bit, a logging area, set up and shot a few hundred rounds. good times. made it down some trecherous terrain in my grand am lmao but i reccomend a 4x4, actullay i wouldnt reccomend going in the winter at all unless you are well prepared to spend a week out there in an emergency situation. the dirt roads are really muddy and it was raining off and on, and the weather is getting worse by the day.

My conclusion, yes you can shoot anywhere in the stanislaus national forrest that it is safe to do so, I STRONGLY reccomend a Forrest map, it is easy to get lost, in the winter if you go be very well prepared, i.e. food, blankets, extra gas, water, basic survival equipment, tire chains, a mess kit, shovel lol allways be prepared! be safe and have fun!

anothergunnut
12-17-2006, 3:49 PM
It's not BLM and it's not free, but the Manteca Sportsman's Club is a public range that is near Modesto.

brighamr
12-17-2006, 4:58 PM
Went up there friday, talked to the rangers at the mi wok village station, bought a map for 6.50 and went out. i found a spot up past mi wok just a bit, a logging area, set up and shot a few hundred rounds. good times. made it down some trecherous terrain in my grand am lmao but i reccomend a 4x4, actullay i wouldnt reccomend going in the winter at all unless you are well prepared to spend a week out there in an emergency situation. the dirt roads are really muddy and it was raining off and on, and the weather is getting worse by the day.

My conclusion, yes you can shoot anywhere in the stanislaus national forrest that it is safe to do so, I STRONGLY reccomend a Forrest map, it is easy to get lost, in the winter if you go be very well prepared, i.e. food, blankets, extra gas, water, basic survival equipment, tire chains, a mess kit, shovel lol allways be prepared! be safe and have fun!
Thanks for the info, haven't had a chance to make it up there yet.