PDA

View Full Version : Want a red dot for an AR

ap3572001
05-29-2011, 1:47 PM
Want a red dot sight for AR.

Any opinions ?

Just want something to have fun with. Don't mind to spend money for the good stuff.

Recommendations?

PS. I had used EOTECH at work. Don't know much about other brands.

I really just want a plain bright dot sight for target shooting .

vintagearms
05-29-2011, 1:49 PM
EOtech 511 or Primary Arms

I didnt recommend the Aimpoint PRO because I can read. :) otherwise would be suggesting that.

evidens83
05-29-2011, 1:49 PM
Aimpoint

/thread

NSR500
05-29-2011, 1:51 PM
Aimpoint Pro

/Thread

Droppin Deuces
05-29-2011, 1:52 PM
JFC when will it end?

/Thread

hotfire
05-29-2011, 1:52 PM
If money is not an option, go with an Aimpoint. One of the best red dots on the market. They have great battery life, nice looking red dot and overall build quality is great. If you want to have fun with a red dot and do not need the high end optics, try looking at Primary Arms red dots. They are aimpoint clones and wont break the bank in the process.

I just bought their base M3 Red dot with the high mount and it locks up solid on my upper and the red is ok outside on the highest setting.

http://primaryarms.com

drifter001
05-29-2011, 1:54 PM
aimpoint m3

nrvnqsrxk
05-29-2011, 1:55 PM
If you're willing to pay to play,

Aimpoint H-1, C3, M4, PRO, depending on your needs. But one of these will be good. Very simple red dot, not as busy as EOtech. I think the latter three have the option of a smaller dot (2 MOA) if you're planning on doing more precision shooting. But the H-1 does 93% of the full size ones at half the weight, if that matters to you.

ap3572001
05-29-2011, 2:11 PM
If you're willing to pay to play,

Aimpoint H-1, C3, M4, PRO, depending on your needs. But one of these will be good. Very simple red dot, not as busy as EOtech. I think the latter three have the option of a smaller dot (2 MOA) if you're planning on doing more precision shooting. But the H-1 does 93% of the full size ones at half the weight, if that matters to you.

I think I can get a good price on a pro. Which model would You recommend? My need are just having fun out to 100 yards.

dieselpower
05-29-2011, 2:24 PM
Primary arms for a hunting / fun RDS for 100 yards and less.

If you are planning a lot of 100 yard fun shooting and not much defensive shooting... Trijicon Accupoint 1-4X24. This is a fun and hardy scope. can not vomit out enough good things about this scope for the comon man.

You can pick one up used for like $500-$800 at AR15.com, they sell for like $1000 NIB. http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2.php?id=AccuPoint&mid=1-4x24

Cyc Wid It
05-29-2011, 2:45 PM
This is what Google says from Calguns. (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&biw=1557&bih=913&q=+site:calguns.net+calguns.net%2Bwhich%2Bred%2Bdo t#q=site:calguns.net+calguns.net%2Bwhich%2Bred%2Bd ot%2BAR&hl=en&safe=off&prmd=ivns&ei=R7ziTfrBL4rniAKp6cS-Bg&start=10&sa=N&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=a34f7f1872f21971&biw=1557&bih=913)

This is what ar15.com's FAQ thread says. (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=493308)

NorCalAthlete
05-29-2011, 3:39 PM
Forget Aimpoints. I can't stand them after having used one for several years in the military. ACOGs are the way to go. EO-Techs are nice too, better than Aimpoint imo for battery powered optics, but I have to recommend the ACOGs. Take a hell of a beating, much more so than the Aimpoints (I've had mounts, battery caps, all kinds of stuff break from minor impacts) vs my ACOG that's still in perfect working condition.

rareair
05-29-2011, 3:44 PM
Aimpoint Micro is tops! But EoTech 512 will get the job done for your intended purpose without blowing the bank

tomd1584
05-29-2011, 3:50 PM
Aimpoint M4. Put in a good lithium AA battery and i'll see you in 2020 when its still running on the same one.

/thread.

NorCalAthlete
05-29-2011, 4:30 PM
Aimpoint M4. Put in a good lithium AA battery and i'll see you in 2020 when its still running on the same one.

/thread.

:rofl: keep dreaming. My aimpoints never lasted more than a few patrols, if that. Had to carry around spare batteries all the time.

762.DEFENSE
05-29-2011, 4:39 PM
You're good to go with a Vortex Strikeforce Aimpoint clone as well.

vintagearms
05-29-2011, 4:42 PM
Forget Aimpoints. I can't stand them after having used one for several years in the military. ACOGs are the way to go. EO-Techs are nice too, better than Aimpoint imo for battery powered optics, but I have to recommend the ACOGs. Take a hell of a beating, much more so than the Aimpoints (I've had mounts, battery caps, all kinds of stuff break from minor impacts) vs my ACOG that's still in perfect working condition.

Sorry, but I cannt take anyone who touts EOtechs over Aimpoints as better seriously. Ever heard of the issues with battery connection? Heard of the issue with internal corrosion? Heard of the issue with stripped internals? Those are all issues with the earlier than XPS line of the EOtechs. You dont have those same issues with the Aimpoints.

While the ACOG's have been proven they are still a compromise. They as well have had some issues. Mainly the ACOG TA31's. They have had several that will not hold or retain a zero sent back to Trijicon.

loosewreck
05-29-2011, 4:56 PM
The Aimpoint Pro or the Eotech XPS-2.0 are good values. Just up to you which you prefer. Both have positives and negatives. If you're on a tighter budget there's the Vortex Strike Fire and Sparc. If you're on an even tighter budget there's Primary Arms.

JayBeeJay
05-29-2011, 5:10 PM
Aimpoint Micro H1/T1 with KAC or LaRue mounts or EOTech EXPS 2-0/3-0. You'll save a couple hundred bucks going with EOTech.

dieselpower
05-29-2011, 5:11 PM
C-More ATAC. $450 at Midway USA. Both Mil-spec BUIS and RDS in one unit. field replaceable Diodes from 2MOA to 16MOA batteries are small and cheap, 700 hour burn time on one battery isn't that bad.

The War Wagon
05-29-2011, 5:23 PM
You might as well play eeny-meeny-miney-mo with the cheap ones. They'll ALL break, and you'll miss the target nicely with each one! :thumbsup:

When you decide hitting the target matters, go Aimpoint. I have a T-1, Comp M2, and Aimpoint Pro on my CQB carbines. :43:

Hyper
05-29-2011, 5:43 PM
EOTech XPS or Aimpoint w/ 2 MOA dot

NorCalAthlete
05-29-2011, 6:06 PM
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4665/img0752s.jpg
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/8607/img0751wa.jpg
http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/9382/img0750vo.jpg
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/2668/img0749d.jpg

Edit - sorry, internet's acting up here. But these are pics of my used and abused ACOG that still holds zero and works perfectly despite being dropped, slammed, run over, etc. It's been shot in snow, 120 degree heat, fog, rain...I love it.

1lostinspace
05-29-2011, 6:11 PM
there is a reason you were using an Eotec at work.

ap3572001
05-29-2011, 7:03 PM
there is a reason you were using an Eotec at work.

Yeah.....At work its only eotech and 10 power Mark 4 on bolt guns. Always been that way
Booring.......But it seems to work. I just wat to try something different.

nrvnqsrxk
05-29-2011, 7:29 PM
He said it was going to be for 100 yards and in? In that case, personally I would look into a H-1 with a good mount. It's actually a 3.x MOA dot, just dim it when you want to take more precise shots. If you think you would prefer a full sized optic, then C3 or PRO. If you can get a good price on the PRO, by all means, go for it. ACOGs are super nice, too, but I don't think they'd work as well as an RDS for his application.

fullspeed1
05-29-2011, 8:24 PM
Aimpoint T1

tomd1584
05-29-2011, 8:33 PM
:rofl: keep dreaming. My aimpoints never lasted more than a few patrols, if that. Had to carry around spare batteries all the time.

Seriously? So you're saying that Aimpoint blatantly lies about battery life? That tens of thousands of users are lying about how they go YEARS without changing batteries (including myself)???? I somehow find this incredibly difficult to believe.

My H1 has been running for 1.5 years on the same battery so far. I just got my M4 a couple months ago, so thats just started on a fresh lithium.

Edit: I was not in the military- please educate me how long a normal/average patrol is?
Edit #2: Thank you for your service, btw.

Cheers

BOFH
05-29-2011, 8:52 PM
My AR is strictly a range toy and the Vortex Strikefire I have for it has been money well spent. It has not given me a bit of trouble and holds zero just fine. Nothing wrong with buying really great quality optics but IMO its a good idea to be realistic about your intended use and pick accordingly.

sammy
05-29-2011, 8:59 PM
Well if money is not a problem the ACOG is the way to go. I love mine but don't get to shoot it much due to the price of ammo. No steel case stuff in my AR's. Aimpoints are great in AK's but never tried one in an AR. EO-Tech sights are fun but not great for longer distance targets. It is on my M&P 22 just because that is where it gets used the most. When zombies start crawling out of their graves that might change.

dieselpower
05-29-2011, 9:04 PM
Seriously? So you're saying that Aimpoint blatantly lies about battery life? That tens of thousands of users are lying about how they go YEARS without changing batteries (including myself)???? I somehow find this incredibly difficult to believe.

My H1 has been running for 1.5 years on the same battery so far. I just got my M4 a couple months ago, so thats just started on a fresh lithium.

Edit: I was not in the military- please educate me how long a normal/average patrol is?

Cheers

two things...
1) T1 on sale at Midway USA $100 off
2) We changed our batteries weekly. If a guy tried to say his battery was good... he was kicked in the nuts. You change the battery at EVERY chance you get.

metalliman545
05-29-2011, 9:22 PM
Patrols are 10+ hours

NorCalAthlete
05-29-2011, 9:33 PM

Cheers

Not saying they're lying. Just that usage varies widely, and through my own personal experience, I don't like them. I had 3 different M68 Aimpoints throughout my years on active duty, each one for anywhere from 1-2 years. One patrol lasts anywhere from 6-14 hours. Generally, your red dot is on as soon as you roll out the gate, or at least mine was. Some people who were less likely to dismount (ie driver, TC) didn't always turn theirs on unless/until they were getting out of the truck...I just had mine on at all times just in case. Turned it off when I rolled back in the gate. Each one of those aimpoints got noticeably dimmer to the point where I'd start off with in at about 5/10 brightness on the first patrol, 7/10th or 8/10 on the second or third, and by the time I had to crank it to max power it would last maybe one or two more days and I'd have to change the battery because even though it was visible, it wasn't always visible against brighter colored objects. Not a lot of shade in the desert, so running it at higher power longer is obviously PART of the equation, but...yeah. Either way I still carried around extra batteries from my supply section just in case we got stuck out there longer (as often happened). Could have been the ****ty quality of the batteries we were getting issued, I don't know, but either way it turned me off to M68. Also, quoted from Wikipedia:

The CompM2 is often faulted for its short battery life when the dot visibility is set too high, which is necessary for bright environments. The On/Off/Visibility knob is also prone to turning unintentionally when the weapon is stowed or retrieved, such as when mounting and dismounting vehicles. Batteries often burn out due to unintentional engagement of the sight's power. Large rubber bands are sometimes used on the sight to keep the knob from turning accidentally.

This happened quite often, which was another reason I always kept extra batteries on me. With that rotational switch vs the recessed push button of an EoTech, you could pretty much count on your scope turning on every time you walked anywhere with it slung. Given that we had to carry our weapons everywhere, except when showering, that happened pretty often. So when your red dot is on nearly 24/7, often at max or near max power, battery life is nowhere near the claimed 50,000 hours. Think about it like this - you buy a laptop that says it has "up to 8 hours of continuous use battery life". Now take that laptop, go out into the sun with it, crank up the screen brightness to max, and try watching a movie. See if it lasts through the movie, or even anywhere near that 8 hour mark. My bet is it won't. Those "maximum hours" estimate/claims are often at reduced usage levels, akin to "hypermilers" eking out 50 mpg out of a pickup truck by coasting, shutting it off on long downhills, etc...stuff that normal users probably won't be doing. If your aimpoint has lasted you 1.5 years, I would venture a guess that the only times it's turned on is when you're at the range, and even then probably not continuously for the few hours you're there. I'm glad you like it, as to each their own and if it works for you great. Mine worked wonderfully when the batteries were fresh, and I could put 18 rounds into a 25m zero target with a dime sized shot group. But that unreliability really killed it for me. That and as I stated earlier, it didn't withstand the same abuse the ACOGs did.

2) We changed our batteries weekly. If a guy tried to say his battery was good... he was kicked in the nuts. You change the battery at EVERY chance you get.

This, pretty much. I made sure to not only carry extra batteries for myself but for my guys too. We changed/distributed batteries when we dispatched our trucks in the motor pool or as needed if more often. Dispatching was done once a week.

P.S. :thumbsup: for the woundedwarrior project. I raised almost $1,000 through donations for them when I did the Tough Mudder race.

5thgen4runner
05-29-2011, 9:36 PM
ima probly get flak for this but i put a vortex crossfire on my adams arms upper build i couldn't be more happy with it...never left zero or had any problems.

tomd1584
05-29-2011, 10:00 PM
Not saying they're lying. Just that usage varies widely, and through my own personal experience, I don't like them. I had 3 different M68 Aimpoints throughout my years on active duty, each one for anywhere from 1-2 years. One patrol lasts anywhere from 6-14 hours. Generally, your red dot is on as soon as you roll out the gate, or at least mine was. Some people who were less likely to dismount (ie driver, TC) didn't always turn theirs on unless/until they were getting out of the truck...I just had mine on at all times just in case. Turned it off when I rolled back in the gate. Each one of those aimpoints got noticeably dimmer to the point where I'd start off with in at about 5/10 brightness on the first patrol, 7/10th or 8/10 on the second or third, and by the time I had to crank it to max power it would last maybe one or two more days and I'd have to change the battery because even though it was visible, it wasn't always visible against brighter colored objects. Not a lot of shade in the desert, so running it at higher power longer is obviously PART of the equation, but...yeah. Either way I still carried around extra batteries from my supply section just in case we got stuck out there longer (as often happened). Could have been the ****ty quality of the batteries we were getting issued, I don't know, but either way it turned me off to M68. Also, quoted from Wikipedia:

This happened quite often, which was another reason I always kept extra batteries on me. With that rotational switch vs the recessed push button of an EoTech, you could pretty much count on your scope turning on every time you walked anywhere with it slung. Given that we had to carry our weapons everywhere, except when showering, that happened pretty often. So when your red dot is on nearly 24/7, often at max or near max power, battery life is nowhere near the claimed 50,000 hours. Think about it like this - you buy a laptop that says it has "up to 8 hours of continuous use battery life". Now take that laptop, go out into the sun with it, crank up the screen brightness to max, and try watching a movie. See if it lasts through the movie, or even anywhere near that 8 hour mark. My bet is it won't. Those "maximum hours" estimate/claims are often at reduced usage levels, akin to "hypermilers" eking out 50 mpg out of a pickup truck by coasting, shutting it off on long downhills, etc...stuff that normal users probably won't be doing. If your aimpoint has lasted you 1.5 years, I would venture a guess that the only times it's turned on is when you're at the range, and even then probably not continuously for the few hours you're there. I'm glad you like it, as to each their own and if it works for you great. Mine worked wonderfully when the batteries were fresh, and I could put 18 rounds into a 25m zero target with a dime sized shot group. But that unreliability really killed it for me. That and as I stated earlier, it didn't withstand the same abuse the ACOGs did.

This, pretty much. I made sure to not only carry extra batteries for myself but for my guys too. We changed/distributed batteries when we dispatched our trucks in the motor pool or as needed if more often. Dispatching was done once a week.

P.S. :thumbsup: for the woundedwarrior project. I raised almost $1,000 through donations for them when I did the Tough Mudder race.

Good info, thanks. I actually keep my Aimpoints on all the time, regardless of sitting in the safe or at the range. My H1 is on setting 8 out of 12, my M4 on setting 11 out of 16. Those levels keep a happy medium- usually too bright for nighttime, and not quite bright enough for a bright day. Its easy to adjust one or two clicks up/down.

It may just be that the newer ACET in the micro's and M4 have something to do with better battery life than that of the older M2's.

Cheers

WW2Buff
05-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Primary Arms if you're on a budget.

NorCalAthlete
05-29-2011, 10:47 PM
Good info, thanks. I actually keep my Aimpoints on all the time, regardless of sitting in the safe or at the range. My H1 is on setting 8 out of 12, my M4 on setting 11 out of 16. Those levels keep a happy medium- usually too bright for nighttime, and not quite bright enough for a bright day. Its easy to adjust one or two clicks up/down.

It may just be that the newer ACET in the micro's and M4 have something to do with better battery life than that of the older M2's.

Cheers

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/images/smilies/wtf.gif You leave your Aimpoint on 24/7 on 8/12? Interesting...maybe it's just that we were issued older ones or something? I dunno.

m1match
05-29-2011, 10:54 PM
I also leave two of my Aimpoints on all the time, one M3 and one T-1. This thread reminds me batteries have been in for over 2 years, the red dots are still the same brightness, but I should change the batteries just to be sure. The M3s, M4s, and T-1, H-1, and Pro have the Aimpoint ACET circuitry that has an insanely long battery life. In my view the ruggedness and the long battery life are the deciding factors in my choice of Aimpoints for all my carbine red dot optics. The only downside is they are expensive, but you get what you pay for.

pyro3k2
05-29-2011, 11:01 PM
:hide:

just wondering if all of these aimpoints are sitting ontop of BCM rifles/uppers

tomd1584
05-30-2011, 1:37 AM
:hide:

just wondering if all of these aimpoints are sitting ontop of BCM rifles/uppers

One is sitting on an LMT, the other on an MP-22. :D

tomd1584
05-30-2011, 1:38 AM
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/images/smilies/wtf.gif You leave your Aimpoint on 24/7 on 8/12? Interesting...maybe it's just that we were issued older ones or something? I dunno.

yep :D....well, 8/12 on the micro, 11/16 on the M4.