PDA

View Full Version : Truck driver tries to run motorcyclist off road

oldsmoboat
05-29-2011, 12:29 PM
Is this reckless driving vs assault with a deadly weapon?

You can:
Jump to 1:00 to see the initial pass.
Jump to 5:45 to see the confrontation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbTZkZTYkaM&feature=player_embedded

verapakill
05-29-2011, 12:33 PM
Well if that was in California he could be arrested for attempt murder but most likely the D.A. would drop it to reckless driving.

Cokebottle
05-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Is this reckless driving vs assault with a deadly weapon?
Reckless for all 3.

One count of ADW, and one brandishing for the truck driver... and a sharp DA would go for attempted murder based on the video evidence of the initial pass.

yzernie
05-29-2011, 1:10 PM
Wow, that was close. That mc was 2 inches from being off the edge of the road and eating it.

My observations...the motorcycle passed the truck over a double yellow. That however does not justify the pickup driver's attempt to run him off the road. If I was the following mc I would be more afraid of that quad or some other crap falling out of the back ot the truck while Buford was hauling azz down that road!!

I'd be curious to find out the end result and if Buford got arrested.

Us3rName
05-29-2011, 1:25 PM
holy crap someone would've died if this was in CA.

geeknow
05-29-2011, 1:26 PM
Pretty much why I got rid of my street moto. Regardless.of blame, the moto always loses that fight.
Too many jackwagons driving so cal roads, and they dont share well.
I stick to dirt, these days.

Cokebottle
05-29-2011, 2:21 PM
Pretty much why I got rid of my street moto. Regardless.of blame, the moto always loses that fight.
Too many jackwagons driving so cal roads, and they dont share well.
I stick to dirt, these days.
Meh....

The jackwagons on the road are the same Flatbillers, Quadtards, and Squids in the dirt.

Glamis, Ocotillo, Pismo... you name it. A quad and a 12-pack are just as deadly to others as an attitude on the road.

I ride both. I wear a beanie in California, or no helmet outside of California, to provide me with the best visibility in my peripherals and I ride extremely defensively.
I wear a full-face off road, but I avoid "popular" locations on busy weekends. 90% of the time, my buddy and me are the only people around for 5 miles.

daveinwoodland
05-29-2011, 2:26 PM
Meh....

The jackwagons on the road are the same Flatbillers, Quadtards, and Squids in the dirt.

Glamis, Ocotillo, Pismo... you name it. A quad and a 12-pack are just as deadly to others as an attitude on the road.

I ride both. I wear a beanie in California, or no helmet outside of California, to provide me with the best visibility in my peripherals and I ride extremely defensively.
I wear a full-face off road, but I avoid "popular" locations on busy weekends. 90% of the time, my buddy and me are the only people around for 5 miles.
I find it extremely funny that you wear a full face off road and a beanie or nothing on road. Wow is that just plain stupid, excuse me for saying so. Why?

Here's why. This was on road obviously

http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l489/daveinwoodland/swisherhelmet1.jpg

geeknow
05-29-2011, 2:29 PM
Cokebottle,
I dont ride there, either.

Cokebottle
05-29-2011, 2:44 PM
I find it extremely funny that you wear a full face off road and a beanie or nothing on road. Wow is that just plain stupid, excuse me for saying so. Why?
Off road, I expect to go down.

Can't count the times my chin guard has hit the bars.

On road? I tried a FF. Can't handle it. I have to take my eyes off of the road to check my speed and gauges (whoever thought it was a good idea to stick the cluster on top of the tank should be shot), and I can't check traffic in the next lane without rotating my head, taking my eyes fully off of the road ahead.

I still move my head for a shoulder check, but my nose rarely moves further to the side than my mirrors. I still have the road ahead in my peripheral.

For me, having the improved vision and hearing works better to prevent an accident. I've got a ton of miles on my bikes (including over 800 in one day, and quite a few 500-600 mile days), and I've had a lot of close calls.
Many of those close calls would have been accidents had it not been for what I saw in my peripherals.

ankyle62
05-29-2011, 3:10 PM
difference from those potential accidents and the one you may have is that you would probably be able to walk away from most accidents wearing a helmet than not wearing one at all. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

DarthLor
05-29-2011, 4:25 PM
Reckless for all 3.

One count of ADW, and one brandishing for the truck driver... and a sharp DA would go for attempted murder based on the video evidence of the initial pass.

Please elaborate how you come to this conclusion?

The first rider was making a legal pass according to KY law in regards to a vehicle impeding traffic. The 2nd rider never did anything but follow at a reasonable distance capturing footage.

Here's a link to enlighten the situation with a post from rider 2 http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?p=3554243#post3554243

And in regards to your helmet situation, more power to ya, my only hope is that you have a very good insurance policy. I for one don't want my tax dollars wasted on your medical bills or disability payments. With that type of thinking I imagine its safe to say along with that beanie you fail to wear full leathers.

However, I do find you excuses pretty weak. For one as experienced as you claim you shouldn't even have to look down to know what your speed is.
A defensive rider who practices the "Smith System" along with good situational awareness doesn't need more than a quick glance left or right for a lane check. And how do you hear so well with the wind noise above 45mph and the roar of your pipes?

Gryff
05-29-2011, 5:44 PM
This is what happens when douches are on the road together.

The truck driver is a moron for trying to cut off the cyclist and then chasing them.

The motorcyclists are ****ing *******s for riding that fast on a road where people live, and passing on a double-yellow line.

Looks like the all deserve each other.

The first rider was making a legal pass according to KY law in regards to a vehicle impeding traffic.

It's not impeding traffic just because someone who is excessively speeding wants to pass you. If you watch that clip as they come up on the truck, he's moving at a pretty good clip, but the riders are WAY beyond safe speeds for the environment.

No wonder the truck driver got pissed. But he handled it like a dumb ***.

Cokebottle
05-29-2011, 7:15 PM
difference from those potential accidents and the one you may have is that you would probably be able to walk away from most accidents wearing a helmet than not wearing one at all. Not worth the risk in my opinion.
Most fatalities and serious injuries are the result of blunt force trauma to the torso, and the #1 cause of fatalities among motorcyclists is a bleed-out as a result of a compound fracture of the femur.

I've lost two close friends to accidents and their helmets did not make a difference. Neither would full race leathers or anything short of a set of full-body hard armor.
Please elaborate how you come to this conclusion?

The first rider was making a legal pass according to KY law in regards to a vehicle impeding traffic. The 2nd rider never did anything but follow at a reasonable distance capturing footage.
Crossing the center line, excessive speed, etc...

Ya, the 2nd rider was capturing footage/evidence, but he's not a cop and it's not his job to gather evidence for them.

If they were over the speed limit, it was not a legal pass, regardless of what Kentucky allows as far as crossing the center line to pass.
I imagine its safe to say along with that beanie you fail to wear full leathers.
I don't dress out for a full motoGP, but you aren't going to find me on the road without at the minimum my boots, gloves, and a vest, and normally a heavy jacket under the vest and chaps.
BTW: It's Fox Creek leather... not the "Bikerup" crap that's no better than you can get at the mall.
And how do you hear so well with the wind noise above 45mph and the roar of your pipes?
My pipes are not that loud (Roadhouse Dooleys), and I have a full fairing. I can carry on a conversation with my back seater at 80.
Below 50, I could remove my eye protection and not tear up.

Cokebottle
05-29-2011, 7:17 PM
No wonder the truck driver got pissed. But he handled it like a dumb ***.
+1

When I'm in the cage (or even the cruiser) and a couple of squids roll up on me, I just give them room to go around and let them deal with the tickets or the guard rail.

battleship
05-29-2011, 7:30 PM
How fast do you think they were going when they gave chase.

Lucky a tractor didnt back out of one of those farm roads.

Jack L
05-29-2011, 7:52 PM
Most fatalities and serious injuries are the result of blunt force trauma to the torso, and the #1 cause of fatalities among motorcyclists is a bleed-out as a result of a compound fracture of the femur.

I've lost two close friends to accidents and their helmets did not make a difference. Neither would full race leathers or anything short of a set of full-body hard armor.

Crossing the center line, excessive speed, etc...

Ya, the 2nd rider was capturing footage/evidence, but he's not a cop and it's not his job to gather evidence for them.

If they were over the speed limit, it was not a legal pass, regardless of what Kentucky allows as far as crossing the center line to pass.

I don't dress out for a full motoGP, but you aren't going to find me on the road without at the minimum my boots, gloves, and a vest, and normally a heavy jacket under the vest and chaps.
BTW: It's Fox Creek leather... not the "Bikerup" crap that's no better than you can get at the mall.

My pipes are not that loud (Roadhouse Dooleys), and I have a full fairing. I can carry on a conversation with my back seater at 80.
Below 50, I could remove my eye protection and not tear up.

During my career as a paramedic, saw a lot of MC accidents. Leathers may not save you from death but they sure save you for extreme road rash. I remember many calls where the driver was wearing a lot of protection and the rider was not wearing any. Major difference in injuries.

Those half lids Harley guys wear are about useless. I had a bunch of those types with major head trauma. A full helmet may not keep you from dying, it sure helps keep you from major face and head trauma and a possible life long disability.

There are two types of motorcycle riders. Ones that have gone down, and ones that will be going down. But it sure is fun to ride.

Will Goes Boing
05-29-2011, 8:51 PM
Getting intentionally ran off the road by drivers was almost a normal occurrence for me when I use to ride. I would never understand why people in cars get SO pissed off at the fact that a motorcycle out accelerates them from a stop or when a motorcycle passes them. I use to have people floor it from a stop just so I can't get in front of them at stop lights. Up until this day I never understood why people do the things they did.... it's ridiculous.

Samuelx
05-29-2011, 9:13 PM
IMO, the MC riders were definitely the lesser of evils here... What a jackash...

retired
05-29-2011, 11:22 PM
IIRC, there was more than one instance of the motorcyclist almost getting hit by the truck, so that would be multiple counts of ADW and possibly an attempt murder on the second try.

The cyclist shouldn't have gone over the double line if that Kentucky law doesn't allow it, but as zyernie said, that's no excuse for what the the trucker did. Bubba needs to go to jail.

I came very close to being killed while splitting lanes on the 10 into L.A. from someone who didn't like the fact that he had to stop for traffic and I didn't. He intentionally came over into my lane and hit me when I was between him and a car in the #1 lane.

Thankfully I was wearing my leather jacket and gloves and had thermals, pants and a ski bib due to the cold. I had a 3/4 face helmet and it saved me also. It ended up cracked and I had a headache for two weeks, minor cuts and a large bruise on my thigh. My next helmet was a full face one and I never had a problem seeing what was going on.

greasemonkey
05-30-2011, 1:00 AM
Getting intentionally ran off the road by drivers was almost a normal occurrence for me when I use to ride. I would never understand why people in cars get SO pissed off at the fact that a motorcycle out accelerates them from a stop or when a motorcycle passes them. I use to have people floor it from a stop just so I can't get in front of them at stop lights. Up until this day I never understood why people do the things they did.... it's ridiculous.

That's why I enjoyed my SV-1000, people could try to be idiots and accelerate so I couldn't get in front of them but as long as I kept the front wheel down, no problem...it's not like the 600rr was slow or anything but that 1k twin would move along quite nicely.

Will Goes Boing
05-30-2011, 5:46 AM
That's why I enjoyed my SV-1000, people could try to be idiots and accelerate so I couldn't get in front of them but as long as I kept the front wheel down, no problem...it's not like the 600rr was slow or anything but that 1k twin would move along quite nicely.

The thing is, on a bike you're almost guaranteed to out accelerate a car even at partial throttle off the line. When I encountered one of those weirdos and I got in front of them, they would get up on my arse going full throttle and then switch lanes (almost nipping my rear wheel) and blow past me going 80mph on a 45mph zone. I would be toting along at the speed limit thinking :rolleyes: and would see them looking at me in their side mirror with a pissed off look.

So usually if I sense that they don't want me in front of them, I just accelerate extra slow and get behind them instead. There's no point in becoming roadkill because some douchebag has a small dick syndrome. A lot of drivers HATE motorcyclists, not sure exactly why.... but it's not an exaggeration when I say there are a lot of them out there who intentionally tries to kill us out on the road.

Samuelx
05-30-2011, 9:41 AM
A lot of drivers HATE motorcyclists, not sure exactly why....

For one thing, M/Cs can often make headway when cages are stuck in traffic... Dumbashes with ego problems gonna hate - kinda like how some dumbashes hate us LEOs too (for being able to have certain things they can't have or being able to do certain things they can't do)... :rolleyes:

IlDuche
05-30-2011, 1:19 PM
Are we talking Kentucky laws here or CA laws?

CA laws, cite MC for prima facie speed, hook truck driver on 245.

Anyone else like how they called "on each other"?? I thought that just happened in the hood! "Officer officer, he gots to GO"

yzernie
05-30-2011, 2:58 PM
For one thing, M/Cs can often make headway when cages are stuck in traffic...
This is a lot of the motivation for people acting like fools because they are jealous they are suck in traffic and we aren't. I ride a touring bike so the splitting traffice at 50mph or racing through the hills isn't for me. I have to be honest though and say I get tired of some of the folks riding the crotch rockets passing me in the corners on a twisty road. It isn't all of them but as usual, the few inconsiderate idiots give everyone the bad image.

Matt C
05-30-2011, 3:01 PM
It really it totally irrelevant what the law is on crossing the double yellow is, as well as how fast they were going. The driver of the truck tried to KILL the guy on the bike. I would have been much less calm and forgiving when we stopped.

oldsmoboat
05-30-2011, 3:12 PM
This is a lot of the motivation for people acting like fools because they are jealous they are suck in traffic and we aren't. I ride a touring bike so the splitting traffice at 50mph or racing through the hills isn't for me. I have to be honest though and say I get tired of some of the folks riding the crotch rockets passing me in the corners on a twisty road. It isn't all of them but as usual, the few inconsiderate idiots give everyone the bad image.
I ride a sport-tourer. I generally ride with traffic. But.... if there is some oblivious fool holding up traffic, I will split to get ahead of the pack.
As I ride by the fool I always glance over. 9/10 times they are texting.

oldsmoboat
05-30-2011, 3:17 PM
...brandishing for the truck driver......
Not arguing, just asking, brandishing for a tire iron?

yzernie
05-30-2011, 3:21 PM
It really it totally irrelevant what the law is on crossing the double yellow is, as well as how fast they were going.
I'm guessing here but if the guy on the bike never crossed the double yellow and passed the guy in the truck there probably would not have been any problems at all. Dunno, maybe Buford was just having a bad day.

DannyInSoCal
05-30-2011, 3:26 PM
We had a f@cktard actually pull into the far left side of his lane to block us from lane splitting.

Coincidently somehow the mirror on the other side of his car went missing.

Karma always rights things out...

retired
05-30-2011, 3:28 PM
It really it totally irrelevant what the law is on crossing the double yellow is, as well as how fast they were going. The driver of the truck tried to KILL the guy on the bike. I would have been much less calm and forgiving when we stopped.

Actually it is relevant in the whole scheme of things. If it was illegal to go over the double yellow in Kentucky and the mc rider had chosen not to do that, we wouldn't be even discussing this since the incident would have never occurred. If it is legal to do that, then I would agree.

That said, I did post even if it was illegal there, there was no excuse for what the trucker did and as I said, Bubba should go to jail for exactly what you said he tried to do; kill the guy on the bike.

Matt C
05-30-2011, 3:32 PM
Actually it is relevant in the whole scheme of things. If it was illegal to go over the double yellow in Kentucky and the mc rider had chosen not to do that, we wouldn't be even discussing this since the incident would have never occurred. If it is legal to do that, then I would agree.

I'm guessing here but if the guy on the bike never crossed the double yellow and passed the guy in the truck there probably would not have been any problems at all. Dunno, maybe Buford was just having a bad day.

NO. The cause of the ADW was ONE person's decision, period. the motorcyclists deciding to ride, to pass, speed of travel, what road they took, a butterfly flapping its wings in China, all IRRELEVANT. One person decided to try to kill another with no justification. End of story.

Cokebottle
05-30-2011, 3:40 PM
Not arguing, just asking, brandishing for a tire iron?
Under California law, yes.
Under Kentucky law, it may not be illegal.

But brandishing would just be an add-on charge along with attempted murder... his attorney would probably bargain it down to assault with a deadly weapon, but if you start with AWD, it gets bargained down to misdemeanor reckless and the next time he sees a biker he'll make sure there's no witnesses.

yzernie
05-30-2011, 4:13 PM
NO. The cause of the ADW was ONE person's decision, period. the motorcyclists deciding to ride, to pass, speed of travel, what road they took, a butterfly flapping its wings in China, all IRRELEVANT. One person decided to try to kill another with no justification. End of story.
I'm not arguing, by any means, the fact that the jackass in the truck is justified in what he did because he is not. His actions were 100% wrong, period.

What I am simply saying is if they guy on the bike had not passed over the double yellow, right or wrong, would this incident have even occurred?...I'm saying, probably not.

Unbeliever
05-30-2011, 5:57 PM
On road? I tried a FF. Can't handle it. I have to take my eyes off of the road to check my speed and gauges (whoever thought it was a good idea to stick the cluster on top of the tank should be shot), and I can't check traffic in the next lane without rotating my head, taking my eyes fully off of the road ahead.

As a fellow motorcyclist, I say you've picked a too-small helmet. If I can see the edge of the helmet in my peripheral in a full face, I pick another helmet.

I just measured my current and previous helmets, and you need 200 degree and 190 degree field of view to see the sides in your periphery while looking straight ahead.

--Carlos V.

uxo2
05-30-2011, 6:49 PM
Reckless for all 3.

Winner

TurboChrisB
05-30-2011, 6:52 PM
I find the behavior displayed in that video so offensive ... that gentleman doesn't deserve to live. Anyone so ignorant as to perpetrate an action like that, that is designed to inflict great injury or death...if I was the judge when he gets to court....he wouldn't see the light of day till he was on social security.

RedFord150
05-30-2011, 6:54 PM
...I wear a beanie in California, or no helmet outside of California, to provide me with the best visibility in my peripherals and I ride extremely defensively...

THe 'Beanie' is a waste of time. If you don't like the FF, at least wear a good quality 3/4 helmet.
I currently wear the Modular helmet (also called a Flip Face). This gives me the best of all worlds. Only complaint is the weight. They are on the heavy side.
Ride as defensively as you want, a minor mistake at low speed and your head hits the ground. This leaves you in 'Veggie Land' until your heart stops beating.
30 plus years on the road and I have been to a couple of biker funerals.

w55
05-30-2011, 9:41 PM

Thats the truth. I have had drivers go nuts cause I passed them or did something that upset them for whatever reason.

w55
05-30-2011, 9:44 PM
As for beanie type helmets. I used to ride without for years....then helmet law, hated it. At first swore the fullface limited my view ect...after i awhile it was no issue and can see just as good imo. Plus after 2 friends went down and they showed me their ground down helmets were their faces would have been that helped decide looking cool wasnt that great.

Andy Taylor
05-31-2011, 9:28 AM
Guy in the truck needs to go to jail. Attempted murder, ADW, brandishing. Depending on KY laws, #1 biker may need a traffic ticket. #2 biker did perfect, got video evidence. :cool:

As to the can't see out of a FF, well you got the wrong FF to fit you. There are many styles and shapes of helmets, because there are many styles and shapes of heads.
Years ago when I started riding, I fell for that line. My first helmet was a DOT 1/2 helmet. As I learned more I went to a FF, then to a 3/4. Went back and forth between FF and 3/4 for a long time. Then I discovered modulars. Best of both worlds.

BTW: A properly fitting modular, FF or 3/4 will be much more comfortable than any beanie or DOT 1/2.

1911su16b870
05-31-2011, 10:34 AM
Anyone know how this situation ended? (What did the PD do when they finally arrived on scene?)

masameet
05-31-2011, 1:39 PM
From what I've gathered looking at a few Kentucky moto forums:

No LEOs showed up. It was a hot Sunday (May 22, I'm guessing) and first the pickup driver left. The riders waited a bit longer and then finally gave up and left.

After initially posting with frustration over the potential of the local SO not doing anything, the rider with the video camera later posted that the local SO had viewed the video and that charges were being considered against the driver but not the riders. They want to get the POS off the road, he wrote.

Interestingly the rider with the video camera is a CCW holder and decided before the ride not to carry. He also wrote that the driver came out of the pickup (BTW not his) with a tire iron. He, the rider, said he knew the guy was not going to use it, in spite of the driver claiming to be in the military and used to killing people. He wanted to beat the driver up. But now as a guy in his 40s, with a job, family and possessions, and the fact that other people were nearby and watching, he opted to call the police and be a good witness.

retired
05-31-2011, 3:40 PM
I'm not arguing, by any means, the fact that the jackass in the truck is justified in what he did because he is not. His actions were 100% wrong, period.

What I am simply saying is if they guy on the bike had not passed over the double yellow, right or wrong, would this incident have even occurred?...I'm saying, probably not.

This^^ This is the point we were both trying to make BWOPS; for some reason you are ignoring the fact that we both agree with you regarding the actions of the truck driver. The fact remains, if the mc had not crossed the line this discussion would not be taking place, so it is relevant; you, for some reason just cannot see it. Like yzernie, I am not arguing.

I guess we can politely agree to disagree.

masameet
05-31-2011, 5:58 PM
Darthlor posted the link to one of the forums that the video camera rider is on.

Here's what the rider wrote:

#10 The pass didn't set this guy off.He "hates sportbikes and wants to take HIS roads back""we (sportbikes) ran his mom off the road" This *****monkey was going to attempt something if we passed or not.I'm 100%sure of it.

Matt C
05-31-2011, 9:17 PM
This^^ This is the point we were both trying to make BWOPS; for some reason you are ignoring the fact that we both agree with you regarding the actions of the truck driver. The fact remains, if the mc had not crossed the line this discussion would not be taking place, so it is relevant; you, for some reason just cannot see it. Like yzernie, I am not arguing.

I guess we can politely agree to disagree.

That's cool, The point I was trying to make is that while the event may not have happened with that biker had he not passed, so what? If the biker had decided to take another road that day it would not have happened either, so what? If motorcycles were slower than trucks, etc etc. What is the point? Hell, if the biker had been a little bit less experienced or skilled, he would be DEAD.

The biker had no reasonable way of knowing how that nut case driver would react. He was not the cause of the act, he was the victim. I'm not ignoring the fact that the incident would not have taken place under different circumstances, but what I am saying is all that matters is what actually happened, which is that a nut job tried to kill somebody and probably got away with it.

The reason is bugs me so much, is it happens all the time. I'm not saying every time I ride, but at least once every few months something just like in the video happens to me (without the chase after). I've lost friends and even a family member to these "incidents". Most of the time there is no way of knowing if it's just an idiot not paying attention or attempted murder. But I do know some people try and kill bikers, and the video makes it obvious this was one of those guys.

evil tyler durden
05-31-2011, 11:52 PM
Proof that inbreeding makes retards.

retired
06-01-2011, 2:31 PM
That's cool, The point I was trying to make is that while the event may not have happened with that biker had he not passed, so what? If the biker had decided to take another road that day it would not have happened either, so what? If motorcycles were slower than trucks, etc etc. What is the point? Hell, if the biker had been a little bit less experienced or skilled, he would be DEAD.

The biker had no reasonable way of knowing how that nut case driver would react. He was not the cause of the act, he was the victim. I'm not ignoring the fact that the incident would not have taken place under different circumstances, but what I am saying is all that matters is what actually happened, which is that a nut job tried to kill somebody and probably got away with it.

The reason is bugs me so much, is it happens all the time. I'm not saying every time I ride, but at least once every few months something just like in the video happens to me (without the chase after). I've lost friends and even a family member to these "incidents". Most of the time there is no way of knowing if it's just an idiot not paying attention or attempted murder. But I do know some people try and kill bikers, and the video makes it obvious this was one of those guys.

I have had one of those incidents and have mentioned it before.

Splitting lanes on the W/B 10 around New Ave. enroute to work at the old Hall of Justice. The guy in the #2 lane knew I was there since I was initially behind him and could see his eyes in his mirror looking at me. He watched me go between him and the car in the #1 lane.

I was actually in the #1 lane. When I was at the mid point of both vehicles, the suspect crossed over the "Botts Dots" that marked the lanes and hit my motorcycle. He took off and no one got his plate. I went down and if wasn't for the equipment I was wearing, I'd be dead.

The CHP only wrote a felony hit and run and if I hadn't been in so much pain I would have thought to request Temple Sheriff Station to respond to write an attempt 187; which is what is was.