PDA

View Full Version : AR 15 misfire

mightymike
12-11-2006, 4:11 PM
I've been having some trouble with my AR misfiring. Its a Stag lower and DPMS upper. I've been shooting Radway ammo. I've stripped it down and cleaned the heck out of the bolt and firing pin. The buffer spring seems to working smoothly also. It will fire a few rounds and then misfire. The misfired round cycles out ok. The primer is dented on all the misfired rounds. I really want to shoot my rifle again. Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Mike

blkA4alb
12-11-2006, 4:15 PM
So its denting the primer but not firing the round? If thats the case what LPK did you use? It may have weak springs.

If the rounds are firing but its not picking up a new round it could be due to the ammo you are using. Radway is known to be underpowered and may not be cycling the bolt.

koiloco
12-11-2006, 4:28 PM
go buy a box of blackhill and try it out. If everything works good, then it's the ammo.

kap
12-11-2006, 4:33 PM
Sounds like bad primers on the rounds. Have you tried to refire the misfired rounds. Often with old ammo the primer can go bad, but the round usually fires the second or third time you try.

You should try shooting some different and reliable ammo to check the function of the gun first before messing with new parts. If is shoots fine you know it is the ammo and not your rifle. If you have the same symptom then start messing with the gun.

Gringo Bandito
12-11-2006, 4:59 PM
You may also want to make sure the the hammer spring is installed correctly. My buddy had his in backwards and was experiencing something similar.

Good luck.

mightymike
12-11-2006, 6:42 PM
I've tried some Mihwall ammo and that did the same thing. I built this thing 8 months ago and havn't had any troubles until now. I guess I could try some new high quality stuff. I'm gonna be pretty p.o.'d if all that Radway shoots this bad.

creampuff
12-12-2006, 12:53 AM
If your LPK is from Stag, be careful, sometimes it comes preinstalled with the hammer spring backwards.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j36/creampuff464/springs.jpg

Matt C
12-12-2006, 1:04 AM
I would not say BAD ammo, radway is milsurp, military primers are generally harder than commercial stuff, they are made for milspec guns.

mightymike
12-12-2006, 6:45 AM
I got the LPK from DPMS. I'm thinking the ammo is ok too. My brother shot 30-40 rds of my ammo through his gun and had no problem. I guess I could call DPMS and pick their brains.

PIRATE14
12-12-2006, 7:45 AM
What does the firing pin look like??

Could be a easy fix......

sthornwall
12-12-2006, 9:50 AM
If your LPK is from Stag, be careful, sometimes it comes preinstalled with the hammer spring backwards.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j36/creampuff464/springs.jpg

This happend to me on my first build!! What a freakin nightmare. I found out to check for this on AR15.com. I was misfiring AE 223 and I knew it wasn't the ammo. This would be the first and easiest thing to check. Good luck....

mightymike
12-13-2006, 2:59 PM
Silly me. I had the hammer spring installed backwards. I haven't got a chance to fire it yet, but I'm sure this will help.

Thanks fellas!

Mike