PDA

View Full Version : 2 Uppers or Switch Optics?

Randee
05-29-2011, 10:54 AM
Hey everyone!

Hope you all are enjoying your Memorial day weekend! So I wanted to get some opinions as the type of shooting I have been doing has been switching back and forth these past few months! So my question for my fellow calgunners is this:

Do I get another purpose dedicated upper for my AR15 or just switch optics back and forth?

My current setup is a DMR style AR15 with a bipod and a magnified optic. But lately I have been wanting to go and shoot more carbine and "dynamic" style. I would love to take my AR15 to a carbine class but I am conflicted as to change my setup or just swap optics back and forth. Being a student in a tight financial situation, I would love to buy another upper but I reasonably believe that I can pull this off simply swapping optics.

The plan would be to run ADM mounts with quick releases so swapping back and forth I am not too far off zero wise.

Please let me know what you would do, and what you think is the most economical situation would be.

Thanks everyone,
-Randy

Don29palms
05-29-2011, 11:16 AM
I myself have different guns for different shooting situations. The problem is there is nothing that will do everything great. I know this is no help. Good luck with your decision.

docsmileyface
05-29-2011, 11:18 AM
I'm pretty anal - all of my weapons have a dedicated optic specifically for what I intend to use that firearm for.

Gts408
05-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Having another gun is always a plus. Gives me a reasons to buy another one. But it never stops. I'm hooked too.

SuperSet
05-29-2011, 11:40 AM
You should take ur DMR to class and put a 1-4x scope on it.

Striker
05-29-2011, 11:50 AM
I agree with the others above. Different rifle for different applications. You can buy an upper than a lower or something like a DDXV rifle isn't all that expensive if you look around. I've seen them for right around $1000.00. Nice rifle for not a lot of money. Also, you can buy something like a basic upper from Rifle Gear for about $600.00 or so. It's their house brand, but last I heard, they were using Daniel Defense parts, so they should be GTG.