PDA

View Full Version : Ideal spot for red dot

Mumbles3049
05-29-2011, 9:41 AM
I just got a used Aimpoint M2 comp and I am wondering where is the ideal placement of the red dot using standard front sights on a Ar. I am new to the whole red dot system I am use to traditional scope or using just plain old iron sights. The Aimpoint has a standard scope ring that I am guessing comes standard. If anyone can post pics of the mount set up and where the dot should sit on the front post sight I would geatly appreciate it

tomd1584
05-29-2011, 10:30 AM
it really is personal preference. Perhaps you can look through the 100+ page picture thread to see how others have them set up. You should try searching first, as this is a pretty easy question to find answers for.

We also have an optics section, BTW.

However, i would advise against mounting it on your handguard.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=26726

OHW
05-29-2011, 10:43 AM
More to the rear will help with pinpoint shots at range. More to the front will help with two eyes open quick target acquiring.
Then there is "everyones eyes are different" thing. I cannot see those damn mall posters. Others can.

My preference is as forward as my cantalever riser rail allows. Not much , maybe one inch forwarWd.
The purpose of my RD is CQB, offhand speed.

CK_32
05-29-2011, 10:53 AM
That pretty much^

Everyone is differant.. Some people mount red dots on the side for 3 gun. What ever works for you works... Simple as that. And no one says you get one chance.. Make sure your rifle is clear no mag and pointed in a safe direction and mount it close and bring it up and see how it feels.. Then move it around and keep doin the same until you find what feels good for you.