PDA

View Full Version : OLL build ...Moly Grease/CLP

CA SHOOTER
12-11-2006, 2:49 PM
So today I picked up my CMMG OLL :D . Time to build it up .

So I don't have any CLP as its in transit with a cleaning kit . I had read on the assembly page at AR15.com to use moly grease on a couple pins,FCG , trigger parts .

All I can find here at home is Maxima waterproof (lithium stock), Maxi lube Red industrial , and Red-I industrial grease .
Will any of these be OK ? I know it will only be a tiny amount but don't want to screw anything up as this is my 1st OLL .

Also I'm putting in an RRA 2 stage trigger should I put that in first or just follow the istructions in order from AR15.com ?

Thanks guys .

blkA4alb
12-11-2006, 2:55 PM
Or you could wait until the CLP comes ;) .

proraptor
12-11-2006, 2:59 PM
I used tetra gun grease

CA SHOOTER
12-11-2006, 3:05 PM
Or you could wait until the CLP comes ;) .

Fed-Ex sucks :mad: .

megavolt121
12-11-2006, 4:06 PM
Install the Trigger the same time the AR15 instructions tell you to.

I didn't use any lube while building mine up and I haven't had any issues with my gun. Is there a reason you are using it?

Satex
12-11-2006, 4:10 PM
I used Milcom grease, but any brand should be ok. I suggest you go ahead and install the 2 stage trigger and not install the original and then swap out. Once you do it, you will see its pretty easy.
My only suggestions are:
Get a wooden surface, or place a towel on your work surface so you don't scratch the receiver.
Make sure you have the right tools (punch and small hammer).
Take your time! If you do it slow, it will take you no more than 45 minutes including reading the instructions. After the first time, you will be able to do it very quickly.
Read the instructions!

high_revs
12-11-2006, 4:11 PM
i'm curious too as to why you need lube myself. i got everything except for the OLL, which got delayed becuase the shop's pc was done (no biggie, at least they support OLL). from what I read, i've not heard of lube being needed. is this a maintenance thing that can be done later? (am asking before I actually sit down and assemble it all together). i'm sooo stoked right now.

blkA4alb
12-11-2006, 4:15 PM
i'm curious too as to why you need lube myself.
Hehe, watch what you say ;) :p .

CA SHOOTER
12-11-2006, 4:27 PM
I didn't use any lube while building mine up and I haven't had any issues with my gun. Is there a reason you are using it?

Just what I read on the AR15.com thread "Assemble your own lower"
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782
Building a complete lower receiver from a stripped receiver, step by step: (continued)

Common Q&A:

Q1. do any of the lower receiver parts need to lubed?

A1. CLP is all you *need* for any part on the AR15/M16 rifle.... and at a minum should wipe down the FCG, safety, and pins, with CLP. That being said, on initial assembly, I like to use a little moly-grease on the sear engagement surfaces on the trigger and hammer, and inside the trigger and hammer pin holes. I place a dab of grease on the new pins, and work them in and out to lube the inside of the new fire control group. I also add a dab of grease to the safety selector, and takedown/pivot pins.

JWC6
12-11-2006, 5:40 PM
I would use moly lubricant on the receiver extension (buffer tube) threads. It makes it easier to remove later on. Otherwise, I really don't think lubricant was necessary for assembly. Just watch it when you drift the trigger guard and bolt catch pin and you'll be fine.

Prc329
12-11-2006, 6:09 PM
Can you substitute CLP for moly grease on the barrel nut threads when installing a free float?

krim
12-11-2006, 6:13 PM
i dont see why you couldn't install the trigger now if you want to. i have one lower w/ just the trigger and hammer (leftover) now, waiting for the rest of the parts (no $$).

Just take it slow and easy the first time, and dont put a bunch of scratches around the pinholes like my buddy did.

adamsreeftank
12-13-2006, 1:10 AM
You only need grease for places where you are threading steel and aluminum, like the receiver extension and the barrel nut. Moly grease is very sticky, but I would think the lithium grease would be fine. The rest of the lower you can assemble without lube and just spray some clp on the bolt and carrier when you are going to shoot.

xenophobe
12-13-2006, 1:38 AM
Do not grease the hammer or trigger at the sear contact. Let those break in dry.

The SoCal Gunner
12-13-2006, 2:31 AM
I just put together my second lower a few hours ago. Still have 2 more sitting around waiting for parts. I can't believe how much trouble I had again with the pivot pin spring. I also made something simple into something hard when trying to put the trigger pin through.

CA SHOOTER
12-13-2006, 7:38 AM
I just put together my second lower a few hours ago. Still have 2 more sitting around waiting for parts. I can't believe how much trouble I had again with the pivot pin spring. I also made something simple into something hard when trying to put the trigger pin through.

I bought the pivot pin tool ($5.00) and it went super easy .

kap
12-13-2006, 8:46 AM
A pivot pin tool! That's cheating. :D The first thing any new AR15 lower should fire is that pivot pin across the room.

I used good old break-free for my build. I lubed up all the parts, wiped them and and put it together. Same thing I do when I strip my handguns. Don't know of any good reason to treat this rifle differently.

762cavalier
12-13-2006, 10:04 AM
I bought the pivot pin tool ($5.00) and it went super easy .

I went even cheaper and used a 1/4 in clevis pin from Lowes. didn't shoot anything across the room. cleaned and lubed the upper with CLP and went out and shot the darn thing at the range. Went flawlessly:D