PDA

View Full Version : Any Geissele S3G trigger users?

norcal-ar
05-29-2011, 9:39 AM
was wondering if its as awesome as all the propaganda says?

Droppin Deuces
05-29-2011, 10:04 AM
I've only used one once, and I felt it was far too sensitive for general range use. Coming from a 2 stage SSA, my first few shots with the S3G were...unintentional. I suppose if you can get used to something that sensitive, it's a great trigger.

sleepur606
05-29-2011, 10:15 AM
I haven't run the S3G, but I do like my SSA. When it came time to purchase, I couldn't justify the extra cost.

If I was a sponsored 3 Gun shooter, maybe.

THT
05-29-2011, 10:34 AM
I have an S3G in my demo SBR. 2500 rounds later, I'm a convert. Until now, I've shot SSAs and like two stage triggers because I can prep my first shot. However, for a CQ trigger, the S3G is phenomenal especially when doing rapid follow-up shots. The reset is shorter, it breaks easier and crisper. I like it enough that my HD rifle has one in it now.

stevie
05-29-2011, 10:49 AM
S3G is a great trigger just be aware of the short reset and light pull. The SSA or SSA-E are also great 2 stage triggers.

JoeGSX
05-29-2011, 11:29 PM
I have a ssa-e and love it they make great triggers

Zzzake
05-30-2011, 12:08 AM
I now have the S-3gun trigger in my ar. It is almost scary light for me when I first got it. I honestly dont consider it to be a 2stage trigger like advertised. However, after getting use to it, I really like it on my SPR. Still would not have it on my regular general purpose rifle, would prefer the SD-C over it.

So I think it comes down to what kinda of AR are you putting installing it in and if you have the chance, try it before getting it.

I actually prefer the SD-C over the SD-E or the SSA-E. Feel more solid but this is very personal based.

Mute
05-30-2011, 12:52 AM
If quick follow up shots are important to you, I don't think there's a better trigger. I like it a great deal, but it would not be my first choice for a precision rifle, again because of the short and quick reset.

THT
05-30-2011, 4:03 AM
If quick follow up shots are important to you, I don't think there's a better trigger. I like it a great deal, but it would not be my first choice for a precision rifle, again because of the short and quick reset.

The S3G can be used in a precision role provided you drop your finger to the bottom of the trigger and be certain to trap the trigger past the recoil impulse so the rifle stops moving before you start to let it reset. This last bit is pretty important because due to the short reset and 3.5 lb break, it's pretty easy to bumpfire

pacrimguru
05-30-2011, 8:20 AM
i have a 3SG and i love it. it's great for accurate follow up shots.

RugerNo1
05-30-2011, 8:47 AM
...be certain to trap the trigger past the recoil impulse so the rifle stops moving before you start to let it reset.

Follow through is very important no matter the discipline. Especially if accuracy is being pursued.

Mute
05-30-2011, 9:31 AM
The S3G can be used in a precision role provided you drop your finger to the bottom of the trigger and be certain to trap the trigger past the recoil impulse so the rifle stops moving before you start to let it reset. This last bit is pretty important because due to the short reset and 3.5 lb break, it's pretty easy to bumpfire

That probably works well on a 5.56, which is what I have it installed on now. I tried with a .308 and it was fairly easy to bumpfire because of the heavier recoil. This seemed to happen mostly from prone or from the bench. Wasn't an issue from other positions. In fact, now that I think about it, the only times I had that issue was when I used a bipod.

RaceDay
05-30-2011, 12:32 PM

Yes it is. I own one a sd3g well as a sd-e.

Doctawho
08-03-2011, 5:08 AM
Anymore awesomeness reports?

negolien
08-03-2011, 6:51 AM
I've run about 250 rounds thru my AR since I put in my SD3G and love it. Remember the purpose of the 3g and SD3G are rapid resets for fast accurate follow ups and multiples. There are several types of SD triggers take a look at em from the point of view of purpose and you'll love em. They are expensive so not really for people that aren't gonna put them to use if ya follow me.
stats are

3.5 lb pull
Flat trigger bow gives enhanced control and lighter perceived weight
Hybrid pull in-between single and two-stage
Short total pull length
Short reset
Full-power hammer spring
Tool steel construction

http://geissele.com/pdfs/TriggerSummarySheet.pdf

MTG Firearms
08-03-2011, 8:18 AM
I really want one of these triggers now

JoeGSX
08-03-2011, 8:27 AM
SSA-E and love it!

SigFan228
08-03-2011, 8:56 AM
Definitely the next planned purchase for my AR.

mlevans66
08-03-2011, 10:19 AM
I've only used one once, and I felt it was far too sensitive for general range use. Coming from a 2 stage SSA, my first few shots with the S3G were...unintentional. I suppose if you can get used to something that sensitive, it's a great trigger.

Thats because you're a wussy! :D No I have one and love it. It's not as sensitive as they make it out to be.

$P-Ritch$
08-03-2011, 10:31 AM
I currently have a S3G on my 3-gun rifle and love it. As others have stated it is great for really fast controlled pairs. Also, it is not as super delicate/lightweight pull as some others have hinted at. It is much lighter than your typical milspec, but nowhere near one of those benchrest triggers. It just takes a little getting used to.

problemchild
08-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Had my high speed match set too light and did a mag dump from the bench via bump fire. Got everyones attention real quick. Had to explain to the RO what happened.

KK762
08-04-2011, 1:45 AM
I'm getting the Super Dynamic version of S3G trigger. Haven't tested it out yet, but I like my triggers to be as light as possible.

IPSICK
08-04-2011, 8:07 AM
Does anyone have an experienced comparison between the reset on the S3G and the SSA-E? Is the S3G reset shorter than the SSA-E?

THT
08-04-2011, 8:32 AM
S3G reset is MUCH shorter than the SSA-E.

IPSICK
08-04-2011, 8:34 AM
S3G reset is MUCH shorter than the SSA-E.

Bummer.

Thank you for responding. I guess I'll just have to run the S3G more through its paces before I decide I really don't like it.

Nathan Krynn
08-04-2011, 10:33 AM
I have a S3G, a SSA, a SSA-E, and a high speed (lightest one)

I build rifles for specific purposes and the trigger reflect that.

The High speed I have is on my prairie dog gun and that SOB is set so light most people don't know it is a 2 stage, probably not a great idea but really I only let others dry fire it. However it is my least favorite.

The SSA is on my SPR and I love this trigger for its use.

The SSA-E is on one of my 6.8's and it is a lighter SSA. But I actually like the SSA better but that's just me as most people I show them too like this one better, to each their own.

The S3G is on my SBR and my 3 gun rifle. This trigger is the shortest reset I have ever felt and still a safe trigger. I have the fastest follow up on this trigger then any other and love it all most as much as my 300z or my wife (J/K if your reading this honey)

So for a carbine that you need a great trigger for fast follow ups this is for you. The others are really for precision longer range shots. I actually had my SSA on my 3 gun rifle previous to the S3G coming out though and it worked fine but no where as good.

IPSICK
08-04-2011, 12:29 PM
I'm getting the Super Dynamic version of S3G trigger. Haven't tested it out yet, but I like my triggers to be as light as possible.

You would have loved the AR Gold.

motorwerks
08-04-2011, 8:18 PM
You would have loved the AR Gold.

I really wanted the AR gold but I couldn't justify the extra expense, I just tonight bought an SSA-E and it feels like butter! My local Fun (gun) store that the National Match and the S3G. They had the SSA-E and S3G in a little fake lower thingy so you can feel the pull and I really liked the way the SSA-E felt over the S3G and I dont really need all of the extra crap (I call it crap but it was full of good features) the National Match had over the SSA-E so it was really easy for me seeing as it was even cheaper.

motorwerks
08-04-2011, 8:22 PM
I have the fastest follow up on this trigger then any other and love it all most as much as my 300z or my wife (J/K if your reading this honey)

I'm totally going to Email her a copy of this unless you meet my demands.... I would like a New TM XXL T-Shirt in a small unmarked package sent to my address (that you should have on file.) :D

MTG Firearms
08-11-2011, 2:16 PM
Any users of the S3G that have used the Timney 3.5 lb that would care to compare the two for me.

IPSICK
08-11-2011, 3:23 PM
I really wanted the AR gold but I couldn't justify the extra expense, I just tonight bought an SSA-E and it feels like butter! My local Fun (gun) store that the National Match and the S3G. They had the SSA-E and S3G in a little fake lower thingy so you can feel the pull and I really liked the way the SSA-E felt over the S3G and I dont really need all of the extra crap (I call it crap but it was full of good features) the National Match had over the SSA-E so it was really easy for me seeing as it was even cheaper.

I could see the adjustability of the National Match being superfluous when compared to the SSA-E if you don't use that feature, but you would see what I mean about the AR Gold if you ever got a chance to try it. I wish I had gotten a JP lower with installed JP trigger instead of the S3G.

motorwerks
08-12-2011, 9:57 AM
I could see the adjustability of the National Match being superfluous when compared to the SSA-E if you don't use that feature, but you would see what I mean about the AR Gold if you ever got a chance to try it. I wish I had gotten a JP lower with installed JP trigger instead of the S3G.

I have a JP trigger too! I like it a lot, but I use that gun for a totally different things then the one I'm running the SSA-E in.

I want the AR-Gold Trigger BAD with a TiN BCG and a wood stock set AR15, or .308 in the worst way!

Fiiyablade
08-12-2011, 9:03 PM
Its the best trigger i've used and trust me it's not "too light". I feel it fits me just right, i especially love the flat trigger

nagorb
08-12-2011, 10:49 PM
I don't have experience with the S3G but I'm not too impressed by their SSA

nimoZ
08-13-2011, 1:03 AM

Awesome imho!
- Have the SD-3G in both a 5.56 and 7.62, both replacing RRA NM's with improved groupings.
No bump-fire off bench nor prone w bipod. Others shooting my guns have not had that issue either. My 7.62 has an adjustable gas-block and JP comp, which makes it pretty tame in recoil.

Trigger pull is just right for me.
- I have not tried other AR triggers than RRA, RRA NM and SD-3G.