PDA

View Full Version : Legal Transfer Question

mikeahe
05-29-2011, 7:52 AM
Can I transfer an AR15 that I built to my oldest son?
And if so, what is the procedure for doing that? Thank you!

Mike

paul0660
05-29-2011, 7:55 AM
If it a legally configured rifle, you just hand it to him.

louscamaro91
05-29-2011, 8:16 AM
You can legally "give" your son a gun, as long as he is legally capable of possessing one.

dieselpower
05-29-2011, 8:19 AM
+1, for your son its hand it to him (rifle). Handgun he fills out the VolReg DoJ form after he gets it.

morrcarr67
05-29-2011, 8:23 AM
+1, for your son its hand it to him (rifle). Handgun he fills out the VolReg DoJ form after he gets it.

Wrong on the handgun. The person receiving a handgun as a gift from a parent/grandparent/child has to fill out the Operation of Law or Intrafamilial Handgun Transaction Report (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf) form. The VolReg form is the wrong form for this kind of transfer.

dieselpower
05-29-2011, 8:28 AM
Wrong on the handgun. The person receiving a handgun as a gift from a parent/grandparent/child has to fill out the Operation of Law or Intrafamilial Handgun Transaction Report (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf) form. The VolReg form is the wrong form for this kind of transfer.

Thank you.

CSACANNONEER
05-29-2011, 8:33 AM
As long as he is your son and not stepson, just give it to him. He can also just give it or any other (non AW) long gun back to you without any paperwork at all.

Mssr. Eleganté
05-29-2011, 10:42 AM
It should also be mentioned that Federal law requires that you and your son both be residents of the same State for this kind of paperless transfer to be legal.

RugerFanRyan
05-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Reading through this thread, I'm not to clear on everything. My dad currently has all the rifles that I use and a shotgun. I'm 19. So he can just give them to me? They would still be in his name so wouldn't I need to fill out something as well? I always thought I'd have to go to a place like Turners and pay them for a PPT. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Mssr. Eleganté
05-29-2011, 11:33 AM
Reading through this thread, I'm not to clear on everything. My dad currently has all the rifles that I use and a shotgun. I'm 19. So he can just give them to me? They would still be in his name so wouldn't I need to fill out something as well? I always thought I'd have to go to a place like Turners and pay them for a PPT. Can anyone clear this up for me?

Long guns aren't in anyone's name in California, so you don't need to worry about putting them in your name.

Transfers from parent to child are exempted from California's PPT requirements, so you don't have to transfer them at a gun shop. They can be transfered without any paperwork at all as long as both parties are California residents.

The minimum age for the child to receive long guns this way is 1 second old. If a father tries to do the transfer before then the doctor will kick him out of the delivery room. It is best to wait until the infant comes home from the hospital because most hospitals have strict "no firearms" policies.

RugerFanRyan
05-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Long guns aren't in anyone's name in California, so you don't need to worry about putting them in your name.

Transfers from parent to child are exempted from California's PPT requirements, so you don't have to transfer them at a gun shop. They can be transfered without any paperwork at all as long as both parties are California residents.

The minimum age for the child to receive long guns this way is 1 second old. If a father tries to do the transfer before then the doctor will kick him out of the delivery room.

Oh ok thanks. My dad always thought they were under his name because he bought them.

Also that last part made me laugh really hard thanks! haha.

Cyc Wid It
05-29-2011, 1:52 PM
It was touched on briefly, but the key here is it cannot be a RAW.

morrcarr67
05-29-2011, 3:59 PM
Thank you.

No problem. With all the damned froms and regulations it's easy to mix them up.