PDA

View Full Version : Magpul MOE ????

MrKojack1
05-29-2011, 1:10 AM
Went to my local gun shop and they had a whole section of Magpul products. Im looking for a hand guard and want to know what type of experiences y'all have had with this product. Its pretty cheap and light weight so let me know if you've had any bad incidents. How does this handguard compare with higher priced ones?

THT
05-29-2011, 1:13 AM
It's an excellent drop-in replacement. You can add rail sections as needed which means you don't have to spend money on rail covers. Good lock-up and robust enough for hard use. I've run a few sets on demo rifles in carbine classes without issue.

kozumasbullitt
05-29-2011, 1:15 AM
The MOE handguards are nice for the money, I don't think regular handguards get to pricey. If you are looking at the MOE vs a quad rail then you are talking about a big price difference.

motorwerks
05-29-2011, 1:16 AM
love them. I just bought a new one the other day for my A2 clone

seronian
05-29-2011, 1:22 AM
never had a high price one but i got one to keep my weapon light and add a AFG like it alot.

tacticalcity
05-29-2011, 1:27 AM
Good quality product. Train with SWAT guys that run them. They love them. Sell a ton of them as well.

rattlesnake_nm
05-29-2011, 6:45 AM
Love them.

KandyRedCoi
05-29-2011, 7:15 AM
MAGPUL ftw! im such a fanboy :)

rattlesnake_nm
05-29-2011, 7:21 AM
MAGPUL ftw! im such a fanboy :)

Nothing wrong with being a fan of great products. I love the handguards, and grips. Great price for great products.

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l541/rattlesnake505/DSCN1714.jpg

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l541/rattlesnake505/545x39.jpg

KandyRedCoi
05-29-2011, 7:46 AM
although i agree 100% some people have a different idea lol

rattlesnake_nm
05-29-2011, 7:52 AM
Oh well haters gonna hate. They can kick rocks while I save weight and money. :0

RaceDay
05-29-2011, 8:06 AM
MOE is great basic handguard replacement. I'm running them on 2 out of 4 uppers now. Used to be 3 but changed the carbine length to something else. Add on rails are inexpensive as are the MVGs if you want a vertical grip.

Heiko
05-29-2011, 8:22 AM
I haven't tried the MOE handguard but have some of the MOE grips, trigger guards, and stocks. They are awesome products for a great price. My favorite grips are the Magpuls and while I have the more expensive MIAD grip, the don't make sense compared to the MOE. The MIAD just leaves you with a bag full of parts to clutter up your junk drawer. My next build will likely be all MOE furniture.

stevie
05-29-2011, 9:31 AM
MOE's are great Non-FF hand guards

desertmedic
05-29-2011, 9:32 AM
I like mine. I have added the Magpul rail and attached a light. I have just the slightest wiggle on mine though. No biggy, just couldnt mount a laser if i chose to do so since the point of impact would not be constant.

http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac326/sq51ad/AR-15/DSCF0518.jpg

c483125117
05-29-2011, 12:07 PM
I love mine - best handguard for the money, hands down. I actually used mine to replace a big name rail system to cut down on weight.

Baconator
05-29-2011, 12:10 PM
I have a moe gun; handguards, forward grip, enhanced trigger guard, pistol grip and stock. I like their stuff. You can also add their illumination kit if you need some rails.

Droppin Deuces
05-29-2011, 1:35 PM
Everything is good except the crap-*** stock. Get the CTR if you like that sort of thing, but the MOE stock is garbage.

loosewreck
05-29-2011, 1:51 PM
IMO best handguard for the money. They're all I personally need.

In regard to the picture bellow, do all the carbine MOE handgaurds no longer come with a flat top? I'm asking because, I prefer the triangular top feel of my rifle length over the flat top of my carbines.

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l541/rattlesnake505/DSCN1714.jpg

Sacramento Black Rifle
05-29-2011, 1:54 PM
Nothing that Magpul makes is garbage! IMO

Droppin Deuces
05-29-2011, 1:56 PM
Nothing that Magpul makes is garbage! IMO

Except the MOE stock. If I wanted something that rattles that much on my gun I'd buy a tactical maraca:p

gil671
05-29-2011, 2:01 PM
I have the MOE rifle lenght handguards and it looks great. Light but durable.

vintagearms
05-29-2011, 2:05 PM
Except the MOE stock. If I wanted something that rattles that much on my gun I'd buy a tactical maraca:p

You wont notice the slight to non existant wiggle when your off the bench. :p

Alot of LE guys like the MOE because it is cheaper and works well.

hotfire
05-29-2011, 2:07 PM
As everyone else has mentioned, I love mine! They are comfortable and putting the rail slots on it opens it up to mount all kinds of goodies.

Droppin Deuces
05-29-2011, 2:09 PM
You wont notice the slight to non existant wiggle when your off the bench. :p

Alot of LE guys like the MOE because it is cheaper and works well.

It wasn't until I bought a basic LMT Gen2 stock that I suddenly realized what a POS the MOE is. If you want something from Magpul that locks up the way a good stock should, you have to pay $85 or whatever. It's like buying a car from GM. They don't just build quality in. You pay extra for that.

Rebellious
05-29-2011, 2:11 PM
Great handguards for the money. My pictures are a little outdated since I have now added a magpul illumination kit with the pressure switch. Works great. Won't be replacing these handguards anyytime soon. BTW the Magpul MVG MOE Vertical Grip works great as a handstop. Especially after you cut it down.
You can tell I don't like Magpul at all.;)
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad230/Rebellious_AMG/Noveske1.jpg
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad230/Rebellious_AMG/Noveske3.jpg

rattlesnake_nm
05-29-2011, 7:17 PM
In regard to the picture bellow, do all the carbine MOE handgaurds no longer come with a flat top? I'm asking because, I prefer the triangular top feel of my rifle length over the flat top of my carbines.

To be honest I didn't even realize til You mentioned. I am guessing the newer version is like the one's pictured with the 10.5 upper. I just got that set this Feb, and had the flat ones for a couple years.

emc002
05-29-2011, 7:21 PM
I put them on my wife and son's ARs because of weight and the fact they won't see a difference in shooting benefit between a drop in and free floated.
Their ARs are both very light and the MOE components are some of the lightest ones without spending big $$$.

Dreaded Claymore
05-29-2011, 7:24 PM
I wish there was a free-floating version of the MOE rifle-length handguard, because I think free-floating barrels are cool.

justin15w
05-29-2011, 7:37 PM
I wish there was a free-floating version of the MOE rifle-length handguard, because I think free-floating barrels are cool.

I wish the AFG came as a direct-mount option to the MOE handguards.

rattlesnake_nm
05-29-2011, 7:40 PM
I wish the AFG came as a direct-mount option to the MOE handguards.

Or came with a rail section like the rvg.

loosewreck
05-29-2011, 7:44 PM
To be honest I didn't even realize til You mentioned. I am guessing the newer version is like the one's pictured with the 10.5 upper. I just got that set this Feb, and had the flat ones for a couple years.

Yeah, it jumped right out at me, guess because I've been hoping that they would change the carbine to be like the rest of the line since I got my rifle length. The triangular top just feels nicer to my hand.

It's been done. I don't have the link, but there's a company that sells a free float adapter that uses standard handguards as covers. I think you can find references and links to it over at M4carbine.com "BCM dissipator- Yes or No" thread.

rattlesnake_nm
05-29-2011, 7:49 PM
Yeah, it jumped right out at me, guess because I've been hoping that they would change the carbine to be like the rest of the line since I got my rifle length. The triangular top just feels nicer to my hand.

Lol, it is clear as day looking at the pics side by side. I have never shot them both side by side. I just got the 10.5. I ordered it from aim, and it came with the moe handguards. Magpul should advertise them as gen 2 so You know what You are getting when You order.

andrewj
05-29-2011, 7:57 PM
I was curious about the MOE handguards so I gave it a try on my carbine. After awhile though, I just went back to normal carbine handguards. I wasn't too fond of the palm swell on the MOE. They are nice though, locked up tight, removable rails, lightweight.

I have the MOE handguard for sale, BTW. See sig line :-P

loosewreck
05-29-2011, 8:00 PM
Lol, it is clear as day looking at the pics side by side. I have never shot them both side by side. I just got the 10.5. I ordered it from aim, and it came with the moe handguards. Magpul should advertise them as gen 2 so You know what You are getting when You order.

They really should. I believe the difference between the flat topped vs. the triangular hanguards is that the latter can also be used with piston gas systems. I'd like to find a set of the newer ones in foliage green, hope someone knows who sells them.

wash
05-29-2011, 8:03 PM
Several places make something that I think they call a "DCM freefloat tube".

It's like a barrel nut with a tube attached and a hand guard cap attached on the muzzle end. They are usually used with standard M16 style handguards for military style iron sight match rifles but MOE handguard probably would fit.

After a long wait I put MOE handguards on my 16" midlength AR and I like them. It's slimmer than the CAR style oval handguards, but with some shape that gives you grip and the mounting options. Even the wings at the front are good keeping you from burning your hand on the gas block.

I like them a lot.

rattlesnake_nm
05-29-2011, 8:07 PM
They really should. I believe the difference between the flat topped vs. the triangular hanguards is that the latter can also be used with piston gas systems. I'd like to find a set of the newer ones in foliage green, hope someone knows who sells them.

The flat set pictured is covering an osprey ops-416 gas piston. I had to dremel some of the heat shield to accommodate the gas piton. If You look closely at the pic You can see part of the heat shield missing. The heat shields inside look very similar if not identical, so I cannot say if they will work or not. Maybe tomorrow I will take some pics for a better comparison.

SR-71 BLACKBIRD
05-29-2011, 8:23 PM
MrKojack1, can't go wrong with the Magpul MOE hand guard. I absolutely love my middy hand guard.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff320/planetstation/IMG_7242.jpg

45DAVID1
05-30-2011, 11:19 AM
I like magpul products too.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm106/hardkore909/001-5.jpg

rattlesnake_nm
05-31-2011, 1:36 PM
Ok so I didn't take pics, but the heat shields are identical. I put the triangular hand guards on the upper with the gas piston, and it fits, but the heat shields will interfere with operation. It is very simple to just remove a little of the heat shields to accommodate the movement of the piston.

Luieburger
05-31-2011, 2:57 PM
If you want something versatile, light, and don't want to go with the free-float stuff, the Magpul MOE hand guards are great. I love them on my rifle-length AR.

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/226909_10100404788806888_10724677_56384696_3453801 _n.jpg

I know I'm breaking the rules by putting a collapsible stock on a rifle-length AR, but I like it. :D

It's a very versatile hand guard. You can see I have a cheap UTG bi-pod attached to it via a 5 slot rail. I also have an IWC sling swivel on the left side of the hand guard. IWC has a ton of great attachment systems for the Magpul MOE hand guards. I just placed an order for one of their flashlight mounting systems the other day.

http://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/