PDA

View Full Version : How about Calguns Campus Chapters?

santacruzstefan
05-28-2011, 11:22 PM
When I transfer next semester, I thought it might be a good idea to start a 2A club on campus. It can bring folks together, teach newcomers about the sport, and work to influence policy/ hand out fliers for pieces of legislation/ do various marksmanship activities.

Then I thought, "What if this could be officially associated with CGN/CGF?" Not only would the established forum here allow for an online meeting/ coordinating place for the groups, but the Foundation could also guide policy issues to focus on, and provide some oversight or something. I thought the name "Calguns on Campus" or "Calguns Campus Chapters" sounded pretty good in an alliterative sort of way. It would make for a nice banner for tabling in the quad/ open space areas on various universities.

Perhaps this has been proposed before, or even already happened. I wanted input from folks on here whether this was possible, or even desirable. I would be happy to get the Berkeley group going when I arrive in the fall, and I'm sure other members at different schools might be interested. After all, approaching and exposing the younger generation to sane, rational, laid back, and non-partisan 2A proponents could be something that goes really far in terms of future support for the cause. What do you think?

Falconis
05-28-2011, 11:27 PM
Sounds like a good idea, but being a Berkeley thing, I would probably look into getting some support from the Berkeley Republican Club on campus there and maybe the ROTC unit so you have some built in numbers before you start recruiting.

Last I remember, most educational institutes appear (to me anyways) hostile to firearms and the City of Berkeley probably won't be an exception either.

santacruzstefan
05-28-2011, 11:59 PM
Sounds like a good idea, but being a Berkeley thing, I would probably look into getting some support from the Berkeley Republican Club on campus there and maybe the ROTC unit so you have some built in numbers before you start recruiting.

Last I remember, most educational institutes appear (to me anyways) hostile to firearms and the City of Berkeley probably won't be an exception either.

Sure, but I'm thinking it would be bigger than just at Cal. If other student Calgunners wanted to get involved, and start them at their schools, then we could grow from there.

As far as how the University and community view us, I doubt they would shut us down; that would be a big 1A violation... its not like we'll be armed on UC/ CSU property. And I agree, recruiting from other like-minded clubs is a good idea, but one important aspect of how I imagine this is that it be non-partisan, since the Second Amendment shouldn't be a partisan issue; we don't want to alienate half of out potential members from the get go.

tombinghamthegreat
05-29-2011, 12:27 AM
might be easier to join other groups and recruit people from those groups. From my school I was part of the Republican club and got people more interested in firearms and calguns. If you manage to get a lot of people to join then by all means start a official or unofficial group.

nicki
05-29-2011, 12:32 AM
You could do Calguns.campus, but I would also consider aligning up with other organizations.

You may want to align with students for concealed campus, might as well go all out. Besides, they are the force to get college students back their self defense rights.

Since you are going to be going to Berkeley, why not consider starting a "Pink Pistol Campus Organization". Gay leaders have been advocating setting up GSAs(Gay Straight Alliances) in schools to deal with hate.

A GSA with gun groups is a pretty potent alliance.:D

This would be epic.

Nicki

santacruzstefan
05-29-2011, 2:53 AM
might be easier to join other groups and recruit people from those groups. From my school I was part of the Republican club and got people more interested in firearms and calguns. If you manage to get a lot of people to join then by all means start a official or unofficial group.

You could do Calguns.campus, but I would also consider aligning up with other organizations.

You may want to align with students for concealed campus, might as well go all out. Besides, they are the force to get college students back their self defense rights.

Since you are going to be going to Berkeley, why not consider starting a "Pink Pistol Campus Organization". Gay leaders have been advocating setting up GSAs(Gay Straight Alliances) in schools to deal with hate.

This would be epic.

Nicki

This is exactly what I mean. By starting Calguns on Campus, then we reach out to other groups like GSAs, Young Republicans, Democrat and Libertarian organizations, various ethnicity- based groups. The way these clubs work is, they set up tables in certain areas, pass out info, and people join. Then they hold meetings and plan activities, events, and outreach. But this idea is separate from any other group; it would be made of members from all groups, but also be its own thing. From there, we would reach out to perhaps coordinate joint demonstrations or what have you, as well as going solo on certain things. But I need to reiterate, splitting this from partisan politics is important for success. Sure, many members might be conservative or libertarian, but the groups can't be controlled by those ideologies.

Southwest Chuck
05-29-2011, 11:17 AM
I would recommend you check out these resources. I don't see any reason you can't incorporate Calguns into your program. I don't know if CGF has considered a Grant Program, but it wouldn't hurt to ask them.

The Collegiate Shooting Sports Initiative (http://nssf.org/cssi/)

Watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheNSSF#p/u/0/WYytNesZVYA

Apply for a Grant start your Club :
http://www.nssf.org/CSSI/grants/

mag360
05-29-2011, 11:45 AM
should be as simple as going to whatever group does the clubs at your college and saying "i'd like to start a club", it's called the "2nd amendment society" or "shooting sports club" or whatever. You probably need a professor to be your sponsor, I did when I was at Sac State and started a club, it wasn't guns though.

Lostsheep
05-29-2011, 11:51 AM
I like this idea:

any other sjsu students on here?

RKV
05-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Friends, Firearms, Facilities, Funds, Facebook and maybe Faculty are what it takes to have a college gun club. Did it at UCSB for 7 years. Started with two phone calls and one email. Message me if you want details. Photos here at http://www.wcgc.org/ - see Collegiate Shooters link at left. College Republicans and ROTC are two good contacts also. NRA grants help with funds - we got over $14K. Specifically you need to locate a range which will help you out, then find some of the old timers who know how to train. You want the students to have a good safe time, so plan on training for range safety. I can send a number of documents which will help (training plans for instance).

On our biggest day we had over 40 students up. Great counter programming to the typical anti-gun crap that gets served up in college. DO IT. I've gotten too busy professionally to keep my hand in the game, but I can certainly lay out how to do this for you. Been there, done that. Made the anti-gunners in the PRK lose big time. Trained several HUNDRED new shooters over my 7 year run. WCGC membership up as a result and the average age of members has dropped. That's a message to all the Fuds out there - plan on reproducing yourselves or go the way of the dodo.

Hell, I never thought I'd lecture at my alma mater (UCSB) but I did three times - on marksmanship and gun safety. Heh. Turn-about is fair play, and I pulled Alinsky rules on the hoplophobes. FTW!

santacruzstefan
05-29-2011, 1:00 PM
I would recommend you check out these resources. I don't see any reason you can't incorporate Calguns into your program. I don't know if CGF has considered a Grant Program, but it wouldn't hurt to ask them.

The Collegiate Shooting Sports Initiative (http://nssf.org/cssi/)

Watch this video:
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheNSSF#p/u/0/WYytNesZVYA

Apply for a Grant start your Club :
http://www.nssf.org/CSSI/grants/

Thats a good idea, but it seems its geared to starting a competitive team, and with many CA universities cutting established sports, this might be a tough sell. I wounder what sort of insurance they would need though, and how much it costs altogether to get going in the NCAA shooting sports.

should be as simple as going to whatever group does the clubs at your college and saying "i'd like to start a club", it's called the "2nd amendment society" or "shooting sports club" or whatever. You probably need a professor to be your sponsor, I did when I was at Sac State and started a club, it wasn't guns though.

Yeah, I was looking at some of the requirements for Cal. I figured I would form a club regardless, but I thought it would be stronger if it were officially associated with Calguns, both the forum and the Foundation.

I like this idea:

Thats the best part! Not only will you connect with other students who are current members, but we'll gain new members from spreading the word on various campuses, and exposing new folks to the sport, as well as associated activism. I've brought many new shooters to the range; their face after they shoot the AR is classic. When I explain tings like the bullet button in the right way, they begin to see how stupid the laws are.

I have never failed to make an ally amongst open-minded people I've introduced guns too; this could just be on a larger scale, but amongst a vocal and socially active age group. I would say young people are the most important, since they will impact politics for decades. Better to teach them now than let them form poorly shaped opinions that will ruin things for the rest of us.

Kestryll
05-29-2011, 1:25 PM
An interesting idea and one I suspect I'd be interested in supporting.

Perhaps a conversation with the C3 Regional Directors and Chapter Leaders might be in order to see what level of overlap there might be and what kind of logistics would be involved.

Lostsheep
05-29-2011, 1:40 PM
I don't know if I can be the ring leader for sjsu, but I will participate. I definitely feel like sitting in a booth on club day would be akin to going into the lions den but oh well; it wouldn't be the first time I've engaged opposing viewpoints on campus.

I'm really hoping some more Spartans will chime in here.

ETA:
http://www.sjsu.edu/getinvolved/soal/org_recognition/starting/

here we go

FastFinger
05-29-2011, 1:40 PM
Get in contact with CGN member Pullnshoot25 - I believe he helped set up a gun org at UCSD.

Funtimes
05-29-2011, 2:28 PM
I think Kestryll banned him a while ago :/

schneiderguy
05-29-2011, 3:15 PM
I like this idea:

I'll be starting there in the fall and I'd be happy to help you out.

Lead-Thrower
05-29-2011, 4:07 PM
I am a student at Sacramento State, and would be interested in this...

oni.dori
05-29-2011, 4:15 PM
I think this is a great idea, and a key part of our gun rights future. However, I would like to point out that most universities tend to be very anti-gun by nature. I had a friend that was going to CSUCI, and tried to start a "gun club", and had to jump through rediculous amounts of hoops to make it happen. In the end, it had to be a "firearms safety" club to get any kind of school funding; and quite ironicly, the school wouldn't even let him spend any money on any shooting SAFETY EQUIPMENT (read: eye/ear protection) for the club with school funds. I am not trying to discourage anyone from trying, just want people to be aware of the hassle it will be to get to the point we want it to be; but then again, that really is nothing new here in CA for us to begin with.

Falconis
05-29-2011, 4:29 PM
I don't think extending a hand to any other clubs will alienate anyone else if done right. The club would still be under calguns (if thats the way it goes). Just talk to the leadership at the various clubs and have them understand you are trying to steer clear of politics for the time being and just get people involved. I can't imagine the republican club would be opposed to that idea and I think they would understand and assist without pushing their goals on you.

I understand this would be a club that would go to other campuses as well. I only mentioned berkeley and their clubs since I think you eluded to the fact you would start there. I also mentioned the republican club there because I heard it's one of the bigger republican clubs on campus and the liklihood they would help you out is greater than most other clubs.

But in the end, I do understand and agree with trying to keep other politics out of a gun club for the moment. I would start it and keep it as a gun club but by all means welcome anyone that is friendly. Scouting other clubs for membership isn't a bad idea and initially approaching other club leaders is a benefit I think. Established clubs to consider are the Republican club, any 1A clubs, and other civil rights clubs in that order. Reason being is the numbers in members they have already and the likelihood they will assist independently of their clubs for the time being.

Good luck with this though if you decide to follow through. In fact good luck to all students who decide to push forward with this venture. I think this is an idea that will pay many dividends down the road.

mag360
05-29-2011, 5:03 PM
I am a student at Sacramento State, and would be interested in this...

start getting some friends together! DO IT! hit up the guy in this thread that got it started at UCSB. I got a business group started when I was at CSUS and once you get the groundwork laid the members start rolling in. Sacramento State has a good variety of students, I know a lot would be interested in shooting. They have a HUGE criminal justice program, I'd start recruiting kids there, and in the fraternities since they are very concentrated.

santacruzstefan
05-29-2011, 5:30 PM
The biggest part of the group (that I imagine, anyway) will be activism: handing out leaflets, manning tables in the social areas on campus, and mobilizing people for legislative action. Shooting will be a separate part of it, but an important part nonetheless of showing kids who are otherwise gun-naive that they can be a lot of fun. But this, in my mind, is about demystifying firearms, so even if they don't become active in the shooting sports community, they will at least not support anti-gun legislation in the future.

I don't imagine getting the school to support a marksmanship club or team would be easy. But a 2A activism group that also goes shooting together on the weekends... they couldn't hold this group back anymore than they could the Chicano Student Union or the Chess Club.

I'm still trying tpo figure out how this might work. When I finish with finals this week, I'll put together an outline as to how I think this could work. Then, I'll post in on here and PM it to Kestryll and some members of the Foundation. From this outline, folks at other schools could copy it if they wished, and make changes as their unique situations require. This could grow not only membership here on the forum, but support for gun rights across the state. It could be really big.

mag360
05-29-2011, 8:12 PM
I think a fraternity model could work really well. Each chapter has experienced advisors that help oversee and give input and maybe bring them to larger events as well. Once one group is going you can have the members work with a nearby school. It also gives a feeling of unity and commitment if you have to put in some work to be a member.

mag360
05-29-2011, 8:16 PM
it will help a great deal to have a larger national organization like the NRA that your part of. Now that I'm thinking of this I can't believe the NRA doesn't already do it. Sac state has an ROTC program they'd all be interested, and sacramento in general tends to have a large amount of GI bill military folks as well. "Sac State Black Rifle Club" haha.

wash
05-29-2011, 8:46 PM
I support the idea but I think it would best be done with a separate club than a calguns affiliation.

I fear that an affiliation might allow the antis to paint calguns as "those people who want guns in schools". They already want to create gun shop free zones around colleges...

An independent organization says "we are students, we own guns and we are interested in protecting our gun rights".

If you have some legal hassles, I'm sure CGF will lend their support where appropriate.

A good affiliation might be with other campus carry organizations.

uyoga
05-29-2011, 10:17 PM
Great idea, SC Stefan, looks like you already have at least three interested and willing "founding members". Don't give it up. There may be obstacles to overcome at first, but you already knew that. Good luck!

santacruzstefan
05-29-2011, 10:29 PM
I support the idea but I think it would best be done with a separate club than a calguns affiliation.

I fear that an affiliation might allow the antis to paint calguns as "those people who want guns in schools". They already want to create gun shop free zones around colleges...

An independent organization says "we are students, we own guns and we are interested in protecting our gun rights".

If you have some legal hassles, I'm sure CGF will lend their support where appropriate.

A good affiliation might be with other campus carry organizations.

Oh, no, I'm afraid you misunderstand. Campus carry might be something to work towards in the future, but I haven't even considered it as being an issue to tackle right now, especially in CA. That wouldn't be the main focus of the groups, it would be general 2A advocacy. Campus carry would, in my mind, be too much, too divisive and perhaps even radical in the eyes of the moderates we'd be trying to woo over. This would be more about teaching people about guns, the law, why the law in CA is nonsensical when it comes to firearms, and what they can do to effect positive change.

Maybe the working title "Calguns on Campus" is bad because it can lead to this confusion; it sounds too much like the focus is on campus carry. Perhaps something like "Calguns Campus Alliance" with the sub-title of "(school name) Branch/ Division/ Group/ Chapter".

I guess this affiliation also depends on the willingness of the Foundation and forum/ Paul to allow the use of their logos etc on banners and whatnot. After I make an outline of what I'm envisioning, we can go from there.

pitchbaby
05-29-2011, 10:56 PM

This would be epic.

Nicki

Do this with the LDS (Mormon) Institute on the campus (Berkley does have one) aligned with 2A rights and it would be absolutely classic! Hating each other on Prop 8 marches and locked arm in arm on pink pistol marches... LOL!

Falconis
05-30-2011, 12:22 AM
Do this with the LDS (Mormon) Institute on the campus (Berkley does have one) aligned with 2A rights and it would be absolutely classic! Hating each other on Prop 8 marches and locked arm in arm on pink pistol marches... LOL!

AWKWARD!

Let's let him get calguns on campus (or whatever it will be) off the ground first. I think that's a monumental enough challenge without bogging him down to start other clubs and organizations in his spare time. and the first meeting being a royal rumble .... yeah let's try to avoid that.

greasemonkey
05-30-2011, 3:12 AM
I'm definitely in favor of getting some campus groups going. That was discussed heavily by myself and a couple of the other C3 Leaders last year but the direction was set that we NEEDED to focus on gun shows...but gun shows, at least here in the Valley, draw some pretty shady folks out of the woodwork that frankly, aren't terribly interested in complying with the law...so you start talking CA laws and actions we're taking to change the laws and they just look at you funny and give you the 'from my cold dead hands' response.

I've had some Fresno State students show interest in forming a campus club. We'd need to figure out how to structure the clubs, would they be individual clubs or (more likely) a campus chapter member of a charter.

Friends, Firearms, Facilities, Funds, Facebook and maybe Faculty are what it takes to have a college gun club. Did it at UCSB for 7 years. Started with two phone calls and one email. Message me if you want details. Photos here at http://www.wcgc.org/ - see Collegiate Shooters link at left. College Republicans and ROTC are two good contacts also. NRA grants help with funds - we got over $14K. Specifically you need to locate a range which will help you out, then find some of the old timers who know how to train. You want the students to have a good safe time, so plan on training for range safety. I can send a number of documents which will help (training plans for instance).

On our biggest day we had over 40 students up. Great counter programming to the typical anti-gun crap that gets served up in college. DO IT. I've gotten too busy professionally to keep my hand in the game, but I can certainly lay out how to do this for you. Been there, done that. Made the anti-gunners in the PRK lose big time. Trained several HUNDRED new shooters over my 7 year run. WCGC membership up as a result and the average age of members has dropped. That's a message to all the Fuds out there - plan on reproducing yourselves or go the way of the dodo.

Hell, I never thought I'd lecture at my alma mater (UCSB) but I did three times - on marksmanship and gun safety. Heh. Turn-about is fair play, and I pulled Alinsky rules on the hoplophobes. FTW!
Thank you for posting/volunteering info from your experience.

Ergo the Qualmed
05-30-2011, 4:04 AM
Hey,

I semi-recently started a marksmanship club at UC Davis, just renewed for this up coming year.

I'd be interested in this, please update this thread!

Hell, for that matter, i'd be interested in determining how to make the club bigger, with such limitations as #s of firearms and range space haha.

In any case, you can add me to your network of people interested in this idea!!! Good publicity is always great, and I feel that campus firearms-related orgs could be a good counter-fud at the grassroots level. It's just a question of how to diplomatically go about it, perhaps.

RKV
05-30-2011, 7:38 AM
Introduction
My name is RKV, and I am a information technology consultant/project manager living in Santa Barbara, California. Private message me here if you need more. The following is a short summary of my experiences in organizing and leading collegiate marksmanship activities at Winchester Canyon Gun Club (WCGC). Here's a writeup of what we did originally published in the UCSB student newspaper the Daily Nexus - http://www.friendsofnra.org/State.aspx?sid=5&cid=189

Background
I got really tired of what was happening here in my home state of California (too many BAD gun laws, and the prospect of WORSE ones on the horizon). I wanted to affect the political equation and didn’t know how. Writing my congresscriter was hopeless. What I did know was that people who shoot (or least have a basic knowledge and a positive appreciation for the sport) wouldn’t vote for gun grabbers. So, how to proceed, how to change the equation?
Getting others interested in the sport, growing the sport, was going to be needed if we were to hold ground, much less turn things around here. Well, I live in a town where there are a LOT of college students. And that is our opportunity to turn things around over time, if we were willing to take advantage of it, and use our strengths.

Concept
What we do here at WCGC is have one primary event per quarter aimed at introducing college students to shooting sports, with one each of the primary shooting disciplines featured per academic quarter – rifle, pistol and shotgun. We also sponsor (with the help of our NRA grant) other collegiate group events, which are less formal, smaller in numbers attending, more frequent and ad hoc. Our goals are both to provide basic instruction, and to introduce college students with similar interests to each other. I modeled the program after how I learned how to scuba dive – I took a resort course where you could get basic instruction and try a beach dive. The goal was to deliver a quick, inexpensive, painless intro to a complex technical sport - one that would get kids interested inexpensively (on both sides).
NRA course manuals are a great place to get instructional material and a curriculum. I am a decent shot and have formal NRA training only as a rangemaster, I have delivered quite a bit of professional training over the years, so I know how to teach. You only need to read up a bit to get an outline and get started. Remember, getting the kids safe, happy and started with few/no glaring bad habits is the goal. Going to the Olympics or Camp Perry comes later.

Contacts
So how to line up students? What I did was to contact the college Republican organization at my alma mater (University of California Santa Barbara) and find some kids who were interested in learning basic marksmanship. I cold called (emailed) and made them an offer, and they said “Yes.” The ROTC battalion at UCSB has been a great contact also. Our network has expanded with students at Westmont and our local city college (SBCC). We’re thinking about expanding even further by making contacts with students at other nearby institutions – Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo and Cal Lutheran in Thousand Oaks. That’s a long range plan.
Our primary communication medium is Facebook (a social networking website). Email or Yahoo Groups would work too. And they are free! Our UCSB gun club is informal; however, the students at Westmont managed to get approved as an on-campus club – so either model works. Pick yours for best effect. We’ve been running for five years now and are self-sustaining in terms of leadership.

Facilities
Then I scheduled range time and got some help from my friends in the gun club to provide instruction. The biggest group we have seen so far is 40. Having a youth program is part of our board of directors’ game plan, so having them get behind us has been vital. We are fortunate since Winchester Canyon Gun Club has a nice set of ranges with good capacity even though it is a bit of a drive out of town to get there. Generally the students buddy up to drive together – and that usually provokes dinner and beers afterwards. Which is an added benefit since the gun club becomes a social club as well. Note: we have a separate youth program for Jr. High and High Schools students as well, affiliated with Civilian Marksmanship Program.

Guns and Money (No Lawyers)
At first I paid for the ammo and used guns from my collection (the kids pay range fees themselves). Now our gun club has shotguns, rifles and pistols for us to use (courtesy of NRA Foundation grants), and I only occasionally bring out my own (typically in smaller groups). Pistol and shotgun seem to be the most popular events, by the way. We also have a BBQ at the shotgun range and often cook up burgers while we are shooting. Smaller groups events happen spontaneously - particularly since we have older kids who own their own guns. They are usually glad to see me (especially since I usually bring free [NRA grant paid] ammo), hats and other marketing collateral that the local gun shops provide gratis to me. Writing the grants is not hard. See here for details - http://www.nrafoundation.org/grants/

Support
Without the support of club members this group would be a fraction of the size it is, or wouldn’t exist at all. That’s why I titled this essay “How WE Did It.” So - thanks to Phil, Jerry, Kevin, John and Arion. WCGC has a collegiate marksmanship program that is safe, effective and cost efficient. And it doesn’t take a big investment of time on a monthly basis.
Having instructors who will help hand-hold new shooters is critical, particularly as the group size increases. When we train on pistols we have one instructor per pistol at the firing line. By the end of the day this isn’t necessary, but is a must at first. A rough ratio for shotgun is one instructor per 4-8 students. The critical factor is how many of your students have basic experience with firearms. Brand new guys take more. And so on.

Miscellaneous
A couple of other points ..
Always start with the four fundamental gun safety rules. And I always end with them too.
One quarter to one third of the group will be women. They learn differently (they do it like you tell them usually, which the guys don’t always do).
One quarter will never have fired a gun before. Make it easy for them and be reassuring. Can do attitude on your part will result in success for them. Start with smaller calibers and work up. Having multiple instructors is really helpful – dedicate one to work with newbies.
Pistol shooting is the favorite event, followed by shotgun.
Watch out for folks with eye dominance problems (5% or so). Learn to have them check themselves for cross-dominance. It will save you (and them) grief. Learn to block one of their eyes (I usually use a business card tucked into their shooting glasses to block the strong eye). It is my experience that using the weak eye and strong hand is preferable to the opposite.
Teach BRASS (breath, relax, aim, slack, squeeze) and teach natural point of aim and teach them early. Good mechanics will make for good shooting - they already have the advantage of young eyes and steady hands. They have no bad habits – make sure it stays that way, teach them right and don’t hold back worrying about complexity. College students will pick it up quickly. They didn’t get into school by being slow. Turn on the firehose with first quality marksmanship instruction and they will pick it up.
Invite the kids to join the gun club - we have student rates and have increased our membership this way. Here’s a link to our gun club - look for Collegiate Shooter link on the left for photos. http://www.wcgc.org/
Lookout for naturals – when you find the kid who shoots 23 out of 25 the first time out at trap, don’t be depressed. Kids like that need to be told that there is an Olympic team and that they need to consider their options. I’ve met one or two over the years.
Oh yeah, and don’t forget to have a good time with this - the kids will know if you’re having fun. I tell them that this is my contribution to the “alumni association.” A cold beer afterward with the “over 21s” is always a pleasure and certainly enlightening about life, the universe and everything. There are really some great young people out there. I consider this my opportunity to make a positive difference in their lives.
One of the best events we ever had was to celebrate the return of one of our former members from Iraq for R&R. It was the “practically perfect day” if can quote the young First Lieutenant. We had a BBQ, the weather was gorgeous, and of course Brett got to see a bunch of his old friends from school after a long separation. Look for opportunities to make things memorable.

The Quick Checklist – What you need to succeed
1) Facilities - including management buy-in
2) Funding - ammo, targets, range fees (NRA Foundation grant or help from the gun club)
3) Firearms
4) Friends - you need a cadre who will be there to help
5) Facebook

What student leadership does for our group...
a) help keep timing straight so we don't schedule into finals week
b) come up with ideas for events
c) sign in students and take the money when we have an event and
d) help arrange rides to the event - carpool.

Summary
When I do the math, it can seem like a slow process. Maybe it is, but I consider that I work with 30-50 different kids a year. Some of whom have their heads screwed on right in the first place, but plenty of whom do not. My guess is that its 20-25%, so 10 votes changed per year is worth my time. I’ve been at this for 5 years, and if I have my way it’ll be doing this for another 25 before I get too old and crotchety to pull it off. AND we certainly shore up the ones who are on the borderline. These kids have memories of college which include shooting sports, presented in a positive light, and done with their friends. That’s a good thing for our future. By getting involved in youth marksmanship programs you can make a difference. It won’t break the bank and you’ll be glad you did.

Update – 14 February 2009
The NRA Foundation grant arrived today. Budgeted for 200 students total this year. Likely to require 6+ events (on every other month or so) as attendance has been growing. No problem making the numbers.

Update - today
I'm out of the day to day BUT the facebook group lives on and the students are self organizing. [that's a VERY satisfiying knowledge btw] Not as busy as when I was active, but UCSB shooters know how to contact each other now.

wash
05-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Oh, no, I'm afraid you misunderstand. Campus carry might be something to work towards in the future, but I haven't even considered it as being an issue to tackle right now, especially in CA. That wouldn't be the main focus of the groups, it would be general 2A advocacy. Campus carry would, in my mind, be too much, too divisive and perhaps even radical in the eyes of the moderates we'd be trying to woo over. This would be more about teaching people about guns, the law, why the law in CA is nonsensical when it comes to firearms, and what they can do to effect positive change.

Maybe the working title "Calguns on Campus" is bad because it can lead to this confusion; it sounds too much like the focus is on campus carry. Perhaps something like "Calguns Campus Alliance" with the sub-title of "(school name) Branch/ Division/ Group/ Chapter".

I guess this affiliation also depends on the willingness of the Foundation and forum/ Paul to allow the use of their logos etc on banners and whatnot. After I make an outline of what I'm envisioning, we can go from there.
I'm not saying you have to be a campus carry organization, it's like how calguns and the pink pistols are affiliated but calguns isn't a gay group.

From a practical standpoint, it is impressive when the California gun rights grass roots can list off a dozen or more separate gun rights groups that collaborate and work together. The antis only have a few groups nationwide and are always making up new fake groups to replace the ones that have failed or been discredited.

An affiliation with calguns seems natural but an affiliation with campus carry groups (without being a campus carry group) would say "we are part of a national student gun rights movement that is organized and run by students".

The naming is important and I think there should be a distinction between the calguns.net forum and your campus group.

Distinction is important. The antis lump us all together as a group of old fat white guys. Multiple groups with varying demographics is powerful for us but letting them lump our areas of diversity in to their stereotype does not help.

More than just a name, real affiliation with other campus groups will give you credibility much more than being the calguns campus chapter or something.

Finally, calguns is mostly an Internet organization, a campus group has the tremendous advantage that everyone is close together, meetings should be face to face which is different than how things work with calguns (for the most part).

As a gun rights organization, you have to look at how you can be effective. What you call yourselves and who you associate with are things that determine how effective you can be.

One last thing, if you reach out to the republican groups, reach out to the democrats, libertarians and everyone else. We need to be inclusive, we don't want to teach kids that gun rights are a republican thing or any other false impression.

greasemonkey
05-30-2011, 1:31 PM
Well said, wash.

Santacruzstefan, don't forget about the CRPA, too. Between the NRA, CRPA, Calguns and already established college clubs/organizers, I'd say you have your work cut out for you!

Again, RKV, a HUUGE thanks for the time you took to share your experience.

santacruzstefan
05-30-2011, 2:12 PM
I'm not saying you have to be a campus carry organization, it's like how calguns and the pink pistols are affiliated but calguns isn't a gay group.

From a practical standpoint, it is impressive when the California gun rights grass roots can list off a dozen or more separate gun rights groups that collaborate and work together. The antis only have a few groups nationwide and are always making up new fake groups to replace the ones that have failed or been discredited.

An affiliation with calguns seems natural but an affiliation with campus carry groups (without being a campus carry group) would say "we are part of a national student gun rights movement that is organized and run by students".

The naming is important and I think there should be a distinction between the calguns.net forum and your campus group.

Distinction is important. The antis lump us all together as a group of old fat white guys. Multiple groups with varying demographics is powerful for us but letting them lump our areas of diversity in to their stereotype does not help.

More than just a name, real affiliation with other campus groups will give you credibility much more than being the calguns campus chapter or something.

Finally, calguns is mostly an Internet organization, a campus group has the tremendous advantage that everyone is close together, meetings should be face to face which is different than how things work with calguns (for the most part).

As a gun rights organization, you have to look at how you can be effective. What you call yourselves and who you associate with are things that determine how effective you can be.

One last thing, if you reach out to the republican groups, reach out to the democrats, libertarians and everyone else. We need to be inclusive, we don't want to teach kids that gun rights are a republican thing or any other false impression.

Well said, wash.

Santacruzstefan, don't forget about the CRPA, too. Between the NRA, CRPA, Calguns and already established college clubs/organizers, I'd say you have your work cut out for you!

Again, RKV, a HUUGE thanks for the time you took to share your experience.

These are good points. Perhaps we can be our own group, but have lose affiliations with many established 2A groups. I just thought a tie-in with Calguns would be mutually beneficial, plus it could lead to a subforum on here that could be an online meeting/ coordinating place.

Also, greasemonkey, perhaps this group could absorb all established CA university-based 2A/ shooting groups (pending their ratification of a charter, or however that will work), which is why having "Alliance" in the title would be pretty good, since thats essentially what we would be.

wash
05-30-2011, 2:29 PM
I agree that using calguns.net for organization is a good idea. Make sure you do facebook and twitter if possible.

I just think you need a different name and you should look at what other campus groups are doing instead of shaping your campus group with an Internet forum model.

With a few exceptions, no one here knows how to run a campus gun rights group, affiliating yourself with some successful campus groups will help you with some details that we know nothing about.

Super Spy
05-30-2011, 2:53 PM
I like this idea a lot. This fall I'll be a full time student at CSUEB and I'd love to kick off something like this at CSU East Bay....I already know several students that are into guns and several more that are interested in going shooting sometime....and this is just casual conversations with a few classmates in one class. I love the idea of presenting other students with reality based facts instead of the fear mongering tactics the anti's prefer. From the contacts I've had so far the majority of the group would not be white or male....Let's shift those demographics around a bit.

RKV
05-30-2011, 4:25 PM
So Spy, let me give you a hint about the demographics - at least with respect to gender. In an era when colleges have flipped from being majority male to majority female, the female of the species who is looking to get some male attention is going to have to exert herself just a tiny bit. In fact, should she find a way to get in a situation where the historical gender ratios apply, she might well return to the mode where she has the pick of the litter, so to speak. Note to the distaff side, that doesn't happen sitting in your dorm room or sorority. On the other hand, shooting events are quite often male dominated and should the resourceful young lady interested in meeting some nice hetero men make time to go to the college gun club event might be well worth her while. Supply and demand wise that is. ;>) I certainly saw this dynamic at work - regularly. And the ladies enjoyed the sport for its own sake as well.

pennys dad
05-30-2011, 6:02 PM
I think we have an opportunity here santacruzstefan and we should get a conference call scheduled to discuss some idea's. Please send me a PM with contact information.

These are good points. Perhaps we can be our own group, but have lose affiliations with many established 2A groups. I just thought a tie-in with Calguns would be mutually beneficial, plus it could lead to a subforum on here that could be an online meeting/ coordinating place.

Also, greasemonkey, perhaps this group could absorb all established CA university-based 2A/ shooting groups (pending their ratification of a charter, or however that will work), which is why having "Alliance" in the title would be pretty good, since thats essentially what we would be.