PDA

View Full Version : Advantage to co-witness?

lincoln6echo
05-28-2011, 9:49 PM
I just sold my XPS2-0 to fund a micro T1 for a first build and was wondering what the benefits of co-witness are. I was planning on using the same troy sights I had on my Ruger SR-556 which I was able to absolute co-witness with my xps. I was looking at the larue QD mount as it seemed to get the dot up a bit making target acquisition a bit easier for someone coming from an xps but I haven't ruled out the absolute co-witness mount.

Any feedback from users of either? My intentions are range/plinking and perhaps some 3 gun down the road but I would also want something functional for an off chance of SHTF as this will be my go-to rifle. Any feedback would be appreciated.

chead
05-28-2011, 9:51 PM
If you lose power to your dot or it's damaged, you can flip your sights up and keep shooting.

supertrooper
05-28-2011, 10:09 PM
i like 1/3 over absolute because the sights dont block the dot as much but i have a fixed front sight. if both of your sights fold down i would go adsolute and leave the buis down so the optic sits a little lower.

MrPlink
05-28-2011, 10:22 PM
I run 100% with sights deployed if applicable.
No transition time if something goes down. Its also like having 3 points of reference when you are taking a precision shot

Rukus
05-28-2011, 10:48 PM
Flip up irons= Absolute cowitness.
Fixed irons= 1/3 cowitness.

Just my opinion. How many of us really will be in a situation where we can't take a second to flip up BUIS into position IF needed.

MrPlink
05-28-2011, 11:42 PM
Just my opinion. How many of us really will be in a situation where we can't take a second to flip up BUIS into position IF needed.

and by keeping sights deployed I guarantee Im never in that situation.

I cant risk missing a shot on zombie paper targets, if I do people might think Im a noob!

dieselpower
05-29-2011, 8:25 AM
The advantage to a 1/3 is more glass as the dot is centered on a proper cheek weld. Your target is not partly obscured by your BUIS system. On flip-ups it doesn't really matter as much.

heres a visual aid I made.

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu272/Wiringguy/cowitnessdiagrams-1.jpg

norcal-ar
05-29-2011, 8:33 AM
The advantage to a 1/3 is more glass as the dot is centered on a proper cheek weld. Your target is not partly obscured by your BUIS system. On flip-ups it doesn't really matter as much.

great post.

lincoln6echo
05-30-2011, 12:14 AM

Very helpful, thank you! Seems that since it's not as critical with flip ups it more boils down to personal preference on what height I want the dot at.

MrPlink
05-30-2011, 3:11 AM
if you shoot with both eyes open it wont matter if you have "more glass" from a lower 1/3rd cowitness