PDA

View Full Version : Any Rock River .458 SOCOM off list?

thefitter
05-28-2011, 8:52 PM
Somehow hopeful, but doubtful.

The list:

Rock River Arms, Inc.
Standard A-2
Car A2
Standard A-4 Flattop
Car A4 Flattop
NM A2 - DCM Legal
LE Tactical Carbine

The Rock River designations for their .458 SOCOM line:

LAR-458 CAR A4
LAR-458 Mid-Length A4
LAR-458 CAR A4 Operator
LAR-458 Mid-Length A4 Operator

Thanks

curtisfong
05-28-2011, 9:19 PM
I assume you already read appendix B from http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf?

Rock River Arms, Inc.: Car A2
Rock River Arms, Inc.: Car A4 Flattop
Rock River Arms, Inc.: LE Tactical Carbine
Rock River Arms, Inc.: NM A2 - DCM Legal
Rock River Arms, Inc.: Standard A-2
Rock River Arms, Inc.: Standard A-4 Flattop

wash
05-28-2011, 9:58 PM
If you are really worried about it, buy an upper and put it on a off list lower.

On the other hand, look at the bolt lug and barrel extension issues that some people have had.

Any way I went with Teppon Jutsu.

advocatusdiaboli
05-28-2011, 10:17 PM
On the other hand, look at the bolt lug and barrel extension issues that some people have had.

Any way I went with Teppon Jutsu.

Interesting, I am in the market for an upper for an OLL. Not worried about a barrel extension (not interested) but why you went with Teppon Jutsu is of interest.

drangel
05-28-2011, 11:33 PM
I used a Spikes upper and lower receiver, and a Teppo Jutsu barrel and bolt. Sent the upper out to Paladin Machine Shop to have the ejection port opened up a bit. Now if I could just get someone to build me some 10 round mags for the thing--although it is my hog gun I suppose I can live with 3 rounds in the mag and 1 in the pipe. Marty from Teppo has moved on to another assignment but you should be able to get barrels in the near future from SBR. Picked up a Vortex FS for it directly from Smith Industries. Used a Troy low profile .936 gas block as well.

tenpercentfirearms
05-29-2011, 7:32 AM
Use anyone else's lower and it is off list.

Now if I could just get someone to build me some 10 round mags for the thing--although it is my hog gun I suppose I can live with 3 rounds in the mag and 1 in the pipe.

I thought it used standard AR15 magazines? If that is the case, I have some 7 and 10 round magazines for it. They might be stamped .223, but they are still 7 and 10 round magazines for .458 SOCOM.

shadowofnight
05-29-2011, 9:27 AM
I used an Aero Precision lower on mine, the caliber designation says " MULTI " instead of 223.

bwiese
05-29-2011, 10:03 AM
I used an Aero Precision lower on mine, the caliber designation says " MULTI " instead of 223.

Separate caliber marking is irrelevant (except perhaps if marked 50BMG, but that's not an issue here.)

jtmkinsd
05-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Use anyone else's lower and it is off list.

I thought it used standard AR15 magazines? If that is the case, I have some 7 and 10 round magazines for it. They might be stamped .223, but they are still 7 and 10 round magazines for .458 SOCOM.

I use 20 round .223 mags for my socom...but you have to hog out the metal in front of the follower or you'll get feed issues because the .458 round gets caught on the magazine.

drangel
05-29-2011, 1:49 PM
It does use standard AR mags--but a 10 round 5.56 mag only loads up 3 rounds of 458. I guess I will have to find some 20 round mags and convert them for 458 Socom--and Yes you do need to grind out a portion on the leading edge to make them function properly. I will check out Ten Percent.

jamesob
05-29-2011, 4:26 PM
all 223 rra lowers are marked lar-15 and are off list.

wash
05-29-2011, 4:37 PM
Interesting, I am in the market for an upper for an OLL. Not worried about a barrel extension (not interested) but why you went with Teppon Jutsu is of interest.
An AR15 isn't going to work very well without a barrel extension. That is the part that the bolt locks in to. When they start to crack and take the bolt lugs with them, I start to look for other manufacturers.

That's why I went with Teppon Jutsu.

tenpercentfirearms
05-30-2011, 9:30 AM
all 223 rra lowers are marked lar-15 and are off list.

Unless they are built up into one of the configurations that are listed. You might be right and you might be wrong. Do you have the money to test your case in court? If not, don't risk it.

rjf
05-30-2011, 9:48 AM
If you use magpul no tilt followers it will feed fine, no grinding required. Buy the P-mag, jam a piece of cheap ballpoint pen body into the recess at the bottom front of the follower. Load up the mag body with 10 rounds, insert the follower, cut the pen body to length. This will prevent that 11th round from fitting. Pmags need flat or round nosed bullets due to OAL of the cartridge. Most people run 300 gr RN Remington bullets and they work excellent. I run 405g FP Oregon trail cast in my pmags with no feeding problems.

jtmkinsd
05-30-2011, 11:42 AM
If you use magpul no tilt followers it will feed fine, no grinding required. Buy the P-mag, jam a piece of cheap ballpoint pen body into the recess at the bottom front of the follower. Load up the mag body with 10 rounds, insert the follower, cut the pen body to length. This will prevent that 11th round from fitting. Pmags need flat or round nosed bullets due to OAL of the cartridge. Most people run 300 gr RN Remington bullets and they work excellent. I run 405g FP Oregon trail cast in my pmags with no feeding problems.

To each his own...but why would I want to go through all that when I can just grind a notch in a .223 mag in 1 minute and it's good to go...forever...no MacGyver parts to wear out or jam or anything.

rjf
05-30-2011, 4:54 PM
^^

The reason for the no tilt follower is because the heavy bullets (300 to 600 grains) tend to cause the standard follower to nosedive into the front of the mag. A band aid is to grind a notch. The pen body is to limit the mag to 10 rounds. All 30 rd AR mags I have tried will fit 11. Magpul followers work best and easiest for me. Did not know Magpul = McGyver.

jamesob
05-30-2011, 5:34 PM
Unless they are built up into one of the configurations that are listed. You might be right and you might be wrong. Do you have the money to test your case in court? If not, don't risk it.

i do have a rra lar-15 lower, but it doesn't have a rra upper on it.

NotEnufGarage
05-30-2011, 8:53 PM
Doesn't anybody make .458 SOCOM specific followers that could be put into a 30 round mag body and limit it to 10? That, together with a floorplate marked .458 SOCOM - 10 Rounds would be a money maker, I'd think.