PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone use this?

Don29palms
05-28-2011, 6:09 PM
http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/175893.jpg

r6raff
05-28-2011, 6:12 PM
Ohh, That is rad. I would buy one, but everyone round here is packin

Cyc Wid It
05-28-2011, 6:13 PM
It also says, break into my house while I'm gone and you can get some guns instead of old TV's.

rattlesnake_nm
05-28-2011, 6:15 PM
Lol. It should say "come steal my guns".

Don29palms
05-28-2011, 6:16 PM
It's not my house. I just saw the picture. My house has 8 mobile 4 legged anti theft devices with teeth!

r6raff
05-28-2011, 6:36 PM
Lol. It should say "come steal my guns".

I'd give any thief mad props for having the nuts to break into a home where they know without a shadow of a doubt there are weapons. I guess its a good way to thin out the criminal population.

Plus the average home probably has more assets worth of tvs, computers, game consoles etc... all of which are not locked in a 500-1000+ pound safe. I know a few people who have been robbed and in just about every case the thiefs didn't even give the gun safes the time of day, but all of their electronics were gone =\

also that pic is obviously photoshop'd, if I saw that in real life I would knock on the door and shake that mans/womans hand.

killshot44
05-28-2011, 9:02 PM
Lovely Azaleas?

DocSkinner
05-28-2011, 9:09 PM
I'd give any thief mad props for having the nuts to break into a home where they know without a shadow of a doubt there are weapons. I guess its a good way to thin out the criminal population.

Plus the average home probably has more assets worth of tvs, computers, game consoles etc... all of which are not locked in a 500-1000+ pound safe. I know a few people who have been robbed and in just about every case the thiefs didn't even give the gun safes the time of day, but all of their electronics were gone =\

also that pic is obviously photoshop'd, if I saw that in real life I would knock on the door and shake that mans/womans hand.

Known gun owner residences are PRIME targets when the criminals can confirm no one is home.

Capita159
05-28-2011, 9:53 PM
http://www.strangecosmos.com/images/content/175893.jpg

That's a nice looking house. Might have to paint a gun pink to camo in those bushes.

Droppin Deuces
05-28-2011, 10:01 PM
My next door neighbor to the south is an employee of one of those government contracted companies we've all heard so much about. My neighbor to the north is an empty lot at the moment. I suppose I could put the sign there since the neighbor on the other side of that lot is a liberal pig, albeit with an awesome dog.

r6raff
05-28-2011, 10:06 PM
Known gun owner residences are PRIME targets when the criminals can confirm no one is home.

That is very interesting, any studies backing up this claim?

I wouldn't be surprised to a degree, I am not a criminal, therefor I do not think like a criminal, so my logical thinking, i guess, can not be applied to criminalistic behavior. All I know, is that everyone I know who has weapons with safes that have had their homes robbed, the weapons were one of the things passed by. I personally have never heard that gun owners were targeted by criminals for robbery...

MrPlink
05-28-2011, 10:21 PM

nothing to confirm, but last week here in the Bay Area there was a home invasion that targeted a man who was known to have a large fire arm collection.
Over 50 rifles and pistols were taken IIRC

fortunately they were caught

r6raff
05-28-2011, 10:43 PM
nothing to confirm, but last week here in the Bay Area there was a home invasion that targeted a man who was known to have a large fire arm collection.
Over 50 rifles and pistols were taken IIRC

fortunately they were caught

People will target folks who are known to have any collection of value, be it Coins, Vintage firearms whatever.

I simply always believed that statistically speaking criminals prefer the weak unarmed people to prey on. Now, I bet there are select few bold enough to pull off schemes like this... This topic has peaked my interest on this, so I did a little research. There was a gang up in Toronto Canada targeting gun owners specifically. Beyond this, I have seen a lot of speculation but not many specific incidents. I think a luxury car in the drive way is more of a lure, the boat on the side yard, quality fixtures etc...

However,I am not the type to really announce my gun ownership. I don't post pictures of any of my weapons, I don't have stickers on any of my vehicles (besides 1 bcm sticker on my work truck) anyone outside my specific circle wouldn't know I was a weapons enthusiast.

Ultimately I think announcing your gun ownership would in most cases deter criminals more than invite them, however I wouldn't every put up a sign such as that, I simply could appreciate the humor in it. I wouldn't announce my annual income or how many lcd tvs or even my state of the art security system. I find the best thing to do is not to stick out, stay off the radar as it were.

However, I would love to see some studies or info on gun owners having a higher risk for being robbed, I find the though fascinating from a psychological stand point, especially if it is considered the status quo and not just a few random incidents out of thousands.

Droppin Deuces
05-28-2011, 10:46 PM
I always just figured criminals like to prey on not at home people.

arsilva32
05-28-2011, 10:58 PM
that is too funny, the only thing i would change is the wording when it says "my guns" i would have said "my gun" as to not give the impression i have a collection of guns in my house.

"out of respect of there convictions i promise not to use my gun to protect them"

DocSkinner
05-28-2011, 11:28 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to a degree, I am not a criminal, therefor I do not think like a criminal, so my logical thinking, i guess, can not be applied to criminalistic behavior. All I know, is that everyone I know who has weapons with safes that have had their homes robbed, the weapons were one of the things passed by. I personally have never heard that gun owners were targeted by criminals for robbery...

Ride-alongs and conversions with patrol and detectives, plus a few (as someone else posted) stories that are coming to light.

Many of the gangs now look for owners - through day laborers, cleaning services, & contractors help that are in homes and see safes or gun collections. Like why some were breaking into CoCoCO SD cars in an un-attended lot and stealing guns out of the cars - opportunities to get guns cheaper than buying them on the street.

General burglars will generally bypass a big safe, but some more organized types are now looking to score guns in home robberies.

Criminals aren't always dumb, but they are often lazy - why buy something you can just steal?

I was advised to 1) put the safe in a discreet place, and 2) bolt it down. They usually aren't looking to bust into it on premises, but to just take the whole thing.

Kinda like the CRPA thing they had - Society is safer when criminals don't know who is armed.

So the sign might make it less likely someone will try when you are home, but more likely to try when you aren't home.

r6raff
05-28-2011, 11:41 PM
I always just figured criminals like to prey on not at home people.

True!

Ride-alongs and conversions with patrol and detectives, plus a few (as someone else posted) stories that are coming to light.

Many of the gangs now look for owners - through day laborers, cleaning services, & contractors help that are in homes and see safes or gun collections. Like why some were breaking into CoCoCO SD cars in an un-attended lot and stealing guns out of the cars - opportunities to get guns cheaper than buying them on the street.

General burglars will generally bypass a big safe, but some more organized types are now looking to score guns in home robberies.

Criminals aren't always dumb, but they are often lazy - why buy something you can just steal?

I was advised to 1) put the safe in a discreet place, and 2) bolt it down. They usually aren't looking to bust into it on premises, but to just take the whole thing.

Kinda like the CRPA thing they had - Society is safer when criminals don't know who is armed.

So the sign might make it less likely someone will try when you are home, but more likely to try when you aren't home.

All very valid points, like you I was advised to place a safe in a discreet location as well as bolt it securely to the deck. In every robbery case I know of (personally, victims were friends and a co worker) these steps were taken.

I do remember hearing stories of a pair, a husband and wife i believe, that were robbing people and specifically targeting safes, up here in Northern Cali. They would break in, go in with an appliance dolly and could steal safes up to 1000lbs with little effort... assuming they were not properly secured. Thanks for the info, I am always open to being educated and enlightened... the main reason I frequent forums and the like, i'm not hear to try and one up anyone, just to pass on what I know and to learn more about what I don't.

Good thread, stumbled on a pretty important topic that is rarely discussed.

Shepherds_Hook_47
05-29-2011, 1:49 AM
decoys are nice to....

I have been of the school of not advertising to much I guess.... but your cover is blown wide open if you ever have to waste somebody breaking in your house....

o well....

Merc1138
05-29-2011, 2:03 AM

The problem is that you'd end up advertising to the criminals who do have the balls/gear to break in when you aren't home. The people you know who have been robbed and had their safes left alone probably didn't advertise they had a safe full of guns and as such didn't attract the people willing to do something about it.

r6raff
05-29-2011, 5:44 AM
The problem is that you'd end up advertising to the criminals who do have the balls/gear to break in when you aren't home. The people you know who have been robbed and had their safes left alone probably didn't advertise they had a safe full of guns and as such didn't attract the people willing to do something about it.

Very true, I doubt in any of their cases the safes were specifically targeted. Just using those case because there are specific life examples I have to compare to the discussion, rather than second hand info or speculation.

Gigan
05-29-2011, 9:14 AM
The sign looks photoshopped over a preexisting sign like for sale or for rent or something...