PDA

View Full Version : question on changing out bb on arsenal sgl23/21

smattenson
05-28-2011, 3:33 PM
Hello,

I didn't find anything about this so I do apologise if its been covered before. I have an arsenal sgl23/21 that has their version of the o so lovely bullet button. My question is I have been putting thought into switching it to the solar tactical version or a radlock that would allow easier magazine changes. Where/ what gunsmith could I have do this for me? I didn't know if there are some in CA that can do this or if it was a send it out. Any assistance or advice would be appreciated.

S

CSACANNONEER
05-28-2011, 3:39 PM
You can do it yourself. But, the first thing you need to do is remove and and all evil features before removing the mag lock that is on there. After you return the mag cath to it's original form and install a mag lock, you can go ahead and put your PG and any other evil features back on the firearm.

smattenson
05-28-2011, 3:53 PM
Figured I could I was more worried about removing the chunk o steel they put on the trigger guard area. If I did do it myself I would totally remove that evil pistol grip before starting work but thanks for the heads up :).

chead
05-28-2011, 4:06 PM
Chunk of steel? Can you post a picture. Maybe they've changed it since I bought mine, but my Arsenal had a standard guard and the only difference was a half-length mag release. I punched out the pin, replaced the latch with a standard one, and put a Solar Tactical BB on it.

smattenson
05-28-2011, 4:11 PM
Maybe I was looking at it wrong hummm ill have to check when I get home. If it does look like what I described ill take a picture and post it. Btw im taking it that changing it out wasn't hard? And how are you liking the solartac on there?

smattenson
05-28-2011, 4:22 PM
Here is a pic off the web (yes website this photo is not mine nor am I trying to make money for it) http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd398/smattenson/images.jpg

Its like a metal sheeth I dunno if its just the pin holding it or if its welded? Anyone else have experience?

chead
05-28-2011, 4:23 PM
Oh it comes right off when you punch out the pin. You can re-use the pin if you like.

smattenson
05-28-2011, 4:27 PM
Ahhh ok thanks man! I appreciate it. Is there a certain direction the pin should be punched out? Think I might order that solar tac tonight do you know if its best to order direct? Or is there a good online bender that would be better?

chead
05-28-2011, 4:29 PM
Ahhh ok thanks man! I appreciate it. Is there a certain direction the pin should be punched out? Think I might order that solar tac tonight do you know if its best to order direct? Or is there a good online bender that would be better?

You'll want to remove one side of the pin with your fingers. I'm not sure which side it's on, but it should have a lip. Once you remove that you can punch it out from either side. I ordered from Solar directly, I can't speak to other dealers.

smattenson
05-28-2011, 4:33 PM
Cool thanks again :).

nickster
05-28-2011, 8:39 PM
I'm considering doing the same thing,but the pin on mine looks like its going to have to be drilled out.Both sides of the pin have lips on the outside but neither side will budge.

chead
05-28-2011, 8:58 PM
I'm considering doing the same thing,but the pin on mine looks like its going to have to be drilled out.Both sides of the pin have lips on the outside but neither side will budge.

It should definitely come out without a lot of force, it's not welded or anything. Try getting a knife edge under there. I think I used the pointy part of nail clippers for it. If you still can't get it out, you could just grind the lip off with a Dremel. Drilling it out would be a huge pain.

e: Only one side comes off. Try both!

nickster
05-28-2011, 9:28 PM
Wouldn't budge. Got out the Dremel and carefully ground off the lip and punched out the pin. I HATE using a Dremel on a gun. I think maybe Dremel means danger in Austrian or some other Teutonic lingo. Thanks for your help and I hope this helps the OP.

smattenson
05-28-2011, 9:46 PM
Saw your post nickster. Ya I got home looked at mine and I see the lips on each side of the pin. Im thinking of getting a heavy duty drill bit and going to town myself. But if there's a better way (perhaps someone who has done this to the new version of the lock? With info?). Worse comes to worst ill bust out the dremel too

chead
05-28-2011, 10:20 PM
This is one case in which I think using a Dremel (to grind off the top and lip of the pin) might be safer than using a drill. A new pin is easy, a new trigger guard is a pain in the ***.

smattenson
05-28-2011, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the advise man

nickster
05-28-2011, 10:48 PM
Yep Dremel is the way to go.

smattenson
05-28-2011, 11:02 PM
Just ordered the solar tactical bb kit and some other fun stuff so I can't wait til the stuff gets here to get started. O well just have to wait til after the holiday :). Thank you all for the help.