PDA

View Full Version : U15 Stock - field report

Satex
12-11-2006, 7:38 AM
Took my U15 based OLL to the range yesterday.
First for my configuration:
Stag lower
RRA Dual stage trigger
U15 stock
STAG 2H upper with no muzzle device (until the DOJ decides what a flash hider is…)

First, the rifle looks pretty space age. When you look at it, the first thought is that it shouldn’t be shooting bullets, but purple lasers like in Star Trek.

The stock is very comfortable to use! As far as check placement, you can go forward on it, or backwards, and your ear will drop in the gap between the buffer tube and the rear of the stock. In any case, it is comfortable.

As far as the grip. I have average sized hands, and the grip is slightly shifted to the back due to the limitations of the lower. I could reach both the mag release button and the trigger ok. People with small hands should check the stock out first. Folks with large hands will probably find this stock super comfortable. After a day of shooting, the stock bolt came loose, I probably didn’t tighten it all the way.

All in all – Grand did a SPECTACULAR job on this stock!

As a side point, I got my RRA two stage from Wes Saturday, so I had enough time to install it. It is great, and the difference between it and the standard trigger is day and night. One word for those of you installing it. Follow the instructions, and put a bit of lube on the hammer and trigger pins before you install it – it would help smoothen the trigger significantly.

mailman
12-11-2006, 7:42 AM
thanks for the report, did the recoil feel weird at all??, top heavyish or off balanced, just curious. :p

slowjonn
12-11-2006, 8:36 AM
Good to hear a positive field report. I just sent my $$$ to Grant on Saturday for one. Can't wait to build up my rifle with that U15!

Satex
12-11-2006, 9:00 AM
thanks for the report, did the recoil feel weird at all??, top heavyish or off balanced, just curious. :p

The recoil felt like typical AR "sproing". If anything, because the stock is heavier than any typical A2 stock, the recoil felt is probably lower.

The rifle is rear heavy, but that didn't seem to be a problem since its weight supported between the shooting arm and shoulder.

bwiese
12-11-2006, 9:37 AM
The recoil felt like typical AR "sproing".

If you don't hear that 'sproing', your rifle ain't working right.

If anything, because the stock is heavier than any typical A2 stock, the recoil felt is probably lower.

223 has recoil???? :)

When I shoot 223 w/iron sights, I touch my nose to the charging handle.

But I learned not to do that on my Armalite 308 AR10-A2 ;(

JPglee1
12-11-2006, 10:14 AM
If you don't hear that 'sproing', your rifle ain't working right.

Both of mine operate 100% correctly and NEITHER have that annoying-arse "SPROOOINNNG"

I DESPISE that sound.

J

proraptor
12-11-2006, 10:16 AM
My ar also doesnt have the spring sound when I shoot it....

elmo
12-11-2006, 10:20 AM
both my ar's have the spring sound when i fire them...

in any case, i have small hands and i'm waiting for my u-15 from grant to come...it will be interesting to see how well i can grip.shoot with it. I'll report on it for others that have small hands, or want their kids to shoot as well.

Mark_in_Pasadena
12-11-2006, 11:05 AM
This thread is useless without pictures.....:D

bu-bye
12-11-2006, 12:00 PM
I'll have to also say my AR has never had a "SPROING" sound and I have used different springs buffers and tubes:confused: . Yes, I have shot other rifles that have the SPROING sounds and it drove me crazy. Maybe I just got lucky.

When I shot Ivanimal's U-15 I did not notice the Sproing.

NoTime2Shoot
12-11-2006, 12:13 PM
Anybody try to break a U15 with a Beowulf upper yet?

high_revs
12-11-2006, 4:35 PM
great to hear. mine just arrived yesterday.

Rascal
12-11-2006, 6:59 PM
i have small hands and i'm waiting for my u-15 from grant to come...it will be interesting to see how well i can grip.shoot with it. I'll report on it for others that have small hands, or want their kids to shoot as well.

Please do, as I have small hands and would like you opinion on it.

PLINK
12-11-2006, 7:56 PM
This thread is useless without pictures.....:D

I agree.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o133/PLINK223/U-15/U152.jpg

Toolbox X
12-12-2006, 8:45 AM
I am going to hit the U15 with a Beowulf hopefully next weekend. I'll shoot it with a standard A2 stock and fixed mag as well as a U15, and post a field report.

Gunsrruss
12-22-2006, 4:08 PM
I hope those guys make a million dollars, or two or three.