PDA

View Full Version : Parallax tactical bb ring tool...asking for trouble?

5thgen4runner
05-28-2011, 2:08 PM
just saw this on youtube what you guys think...asking for trouble or no?

http://youtu.be/c1Rp7oNluoc

SJgunguy24
05-28-2011, 2:10 PM
It you have to use anything other then your finger to drop the mag, then your good.

migz
05-28-2011, 2:10 PM
looks like a tool to me. no different than a bullet tip or a screwdriver or whatever. it just happens to be on your finger.

5thgen4runner
05-28-2011, 2:11 PM
thats what im thinking its not part of the gun.

Droppin Deuces
05-28-2011, 2:13 PM
Wow. OLD news. Search Gpik and see if anything comes up. IMO, they are not practical and uncomfortable to wear while using your rifle.

zombiescanlearn
05-28-2011, 3:30 PM
Looks perfectly legal to me. I have a handful of them in my gunsafe and I'm handing them out to my friends whenever we go to the range.

5thgen4runner
05-28-2011, 3:45 PM
Looks perfectly legal to me. I have a handful of them in my gunsafe and I'm handing them out to my friends whenever we go to the range.

awesome thanks guys!!! ill try it out

762.DEFENSE
05-28-2011, 3:55 PM
100% legal.

Don29palms
05-28-2011, 3:56 PM
I use a glove with a rivot in the middle finger.

r6raff
05-28-2011, 4:14 PM
Yup, totally legal. Can have issues when transitioning to your side arm, but not bad in general. If you like this idea, I would recommend using a glove with a rivet in the middle finger, the gpick tends to fall off on occasion. That or just use the UBBT on all your magazines. Unless you are in combat, the extra second it takes to feed your weapon wont kill you.

pc_load_letter
05-28-2011, 4:22 PM
Hmmm, the glove with a rivet sounds good. Can I see a pic?? I've had my gpik come off on my at the range.

What finger do you have the rivet in? I could see it working best on your ring finger if you still wanted to transition to a sidearm.

Then it might not be in the way...as much.

MP

Yup, totally legal. Can have issues when transitioning to your side arm, but not bad in general. If you like this idea, I would recommend using a glove with a rivet in the middle finger, the gpick tends to fall off on occasion. That or just use the UBBT on all your magazines. Unless you are in combat, the extra second it takes to feed your weapon wont kill you.

arsilva32
05-28-2011, 4:33 PM

who in there right mind would go into combat with a BB on there weapon? that would be the first thing to come off my rifle,or at least switch my radlock to non california mode

edit: oh nvmnd i misread your comment hehe {unless your in combat} the glove and rivet idea is great, i'm going to try it.

Don29palms
05-28-2011, 5:16 PM
Here's one I have a picture of. It's an old welding glove I cut the fingers off of. I also have a pair of Mechanic brand gloves that I use. I like the Mechanics gloves the best. I've made a few of these for friends and they like them.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg164/don29palms/BBGlove.jpg

arsilva32
05-28-2011, 5:44 PM
Here's one I have a picture of. It's an old welding glove I cut the fingers off of. I also have a pair of Mechanic brand gloves that I use. I like the Mechanics gloves the best. I've made a few of these for friends and they like them.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg164/don29palms/BBGlove.jpg

great idea! i'm going to cut up a glove now and try it,the best solution i've seen yet

lineman66
05-28-2011, 5:57 PM
LOL it looks like you're giving the guv'ment the middle finger in that pic :D

Fate
05-28-2011, 9:00 PM

100% legal.

I wouldn't go so far as to say these "tools" are 100% legal on a BB equipped rifle. IT HASN'T BEEN LITIGATED YET and thus its legal status is UNKNOWN.

While they are arguably "tools", the fact that you attach them to your body (no longer having to actually "hold them") they thus become de facto "extentions" of your body, and could leave some wiggle room for an aggressive DA and an unsympathetic judge/jury.

It's beyond my personal comfort zone, but to each their own. Just don't rely on "I heard some people on CalGuns say it was 100% legal" for your defense.

5thgen4runner
05-28-2011, 9:13 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say these "tools" are 100% legal on a BB equipped rifle. IT HASN'T BEEN LITIGATED YET and thus its legal status is UNKNOWN.

While they are arguably "tools", the fact that you attach them to your body (no longer having to actually "hold them") they thus become de facto "extentions" of your body, and could leave some wiggle room for an aggressive DA and an unsympathetic judge/jury.

It's beyond my personal comfort zone, but to each their own. Just don't rely on "I heard some people on CalGuns say it was 100% legal" for your defense.

thats why im asking, i also had one of those magnetic ones too and got questioned for using it to release the mag then sticking on the pin that was on my hat." well for the split second!!!! that its stuck on its a normal release"...WTH im sick of this crap! i said! thats why i threw it away not worth the hassle.

Don29palms
05-28-2011, 9:15 PM

If a fingernail can be considered a tool I'm quite sure that this stuff is safe.

evidens83
05-28-2011, 9:17 PM
Old news.

Don29palms
05-28-2011, 9:18 PM
thats why im asking, i also had one of those magnetic ones too and got questioned for using it to release the mag then sticking on the pin that was on my hat." well for the split second!!!! that its stuck on its a normal release"...WTH im sick of this crap! i said! thats why i threw it away not worth the hassle.

The magnet tool attached to the gun. That's a whole different problem.

5thgen4runner
05-28-2011, 9:22 PM
The magnet tool attached to the gun. That's a whole different problem.

it wasnt attached the magnet was used to push then stick onto a pin so you dont lose it...but i can see where the magnet can be a problem.

r6raff
05-28-2011, 9:26 PM

I am pretty sure the definition of a "Tool" is a device used to drop the magazine while not being part of your body or part of the weapon. I do see what you are saying about the gloves or gpik becoming an extension of your body and I thought the same thing up until recently.

I recall seeing someone produce a letter from CADOJ (maybe ATF) that stated that the gpik or similar device meets the definition of a "Tool" ***NOW*** dont quote me on that or take it as legal advice, I may have dreamt this, but I am almost positive that this was covered in a few other threads in the last few months. I will do some digging to see if I can find what I am thinking of, or maybe someone else remembers and can link the thread or letter.

r6raff
05-28-2011, 9:29 PM
If a fingernail can be considered a tool I'm quite sure that this stuff is safe.

I thought that the fingernail wasn't considered a tool? Thats when I thought that maybe the gpik may have been illegal. But the argument is that the gpik or glove wasn't attached to the weapon, nor permanently attached to your body, therefor a "tool" by the basic definition.

rareair
05-28-2011, 9:30 PM

Yes, that extra second can and will get you killed! Besides, if you were in combat, you wouldn't have a BB ;)

Don29palms
05-28-2011, 9:33 PM
it wasnt attached the magnet was used to push then stick onto a pin so you dont lose it...but i can see where the magnet can be a problem.

As soon as the magnet was used to push the bullet button it became attached to the gun and is no longer just a tool.

5thgen4runner
05-28-2011, 9:38 PM
As soon as the magnet was used to push the bullet button it became attached to the gun and is no longer just a tool.

agreed...

Cokebottle
05-28-2011, 9:42 PM
I recall seeing someone produce a letter from CADOJ (maybe ATF) that stated that the gpik or similar device meets the definition of a "Tool"
I'd like to see that.

BATFE doesn't care about California AW laws.
DOJ won't even put it in print that a BB is legal. The only reason they said that a bullet tip is a "tool" was because they ruled that the fixed-mag SKS was legal, and the SKS mag can be removed using a bullet tip.

r6raff
05-28-2011, 9:43 PM
Yes, that extra second can and will get you killed! Besides, if you were in combat, you wouldn't have a BB ;)

Thats kinda the point lol. I guess you missed the pun... :p

r6raff
05-28-2011, 9:51 PM
I'd like to see that.

BATFE doesn't care about California AW laws.
DOJ won't even put it in print that a BB is legal. The only reason they said that a bullet tip is a "tool" was because they ruled that the fixed-mag SKS was legal, and the SKS mag can be removed using a bullet tip.

It wasn't something that said it was legal, just a "Yea, thats kinda what we are talking about /end of line" thats about the best we can ever hope or expect from CADOJ, they will never say anything is legal, they will keep us in a state of insecurity about our firearms and second guessing ourselves, I wouldnt be surprised if they taught their people in the Firearms department to give us misinformation... in hopes that we will remove our 2a rights ourselves.

I will try and find what I read, it may have been on ar15 dot com or m4carbine dot net.