PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to cutting foam in Pelican 1700?

jdouglas
05-28-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm hoping to take my AR15 and quite possibly a friend's .22 rifle on a trip to Alaska in just a few days, and I haven't yet decided on how to pack it all into my Pelican 1700 case. I don't have the .22 in my hands so I can't just make custom cutouts in the foam (at least not yet).

But I'm kind of hesitant to cut up the middle insert, partly because I will not always be taking a .22 around with me, and mostly because I will just limit my options (unless I stock up on spare foam inserts, one for each situation).

So basically I'm wondering if there are any other methods I could use that would still secure both guns, along with accessories and various amounts of ammo. Would it work to cut up the middle insert anyway, but into strips/blocks, and place them around the edges and in between things?

Any ideas or suggestions welcome. :cool:

motorwerks
05-28-2011, 11:49 AM
We have a furniture place locally that cuts foam pretty cheap. I had piece cut the other day that was like 2x4 for $10.00. I dont know might not be such a bad idea.

762.DEFENSE
05-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Another option is to have your friend cruise to Walmart and buy a cheap Winchester Rifle Bag for like $30, and have him just use that for the trip. That way you don't have to cut your foam up for a temporary fix.

jdouglas
05-28-2011, 11:57 AM
We will be flying up, and I thought I'd help him out so he doesn't have to go out and buy an expensive case of his own. I can cut it if I have to, but I'd basically have to throw out the foam insert after this trip as I won't be using this setup except once.

762.DEFENSE
05-28-2011, 12:02 PM
$30 is an expensive case of his own? You'll probably have to spend that to replace the foam in your Pelican case after your trip. :pinch:

jdouglas
05-28-2011, 12:10 PM
Well even if a $30 case holds up during flight, he'd still have to pay additional baggage fees, $20 each way I think it will be. So $70 total.

Maybe I should charge him a "rental" fee. >:-)

HalfMeltingEyes
05-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Bubble wrap it and stick it in there! :hide:

thetaxman
05-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Bubble wrap it and stick it in there! :hide:

Nothing wrong with this. Stick some towels etc in there as well and it should be just fine.

UserM4
05-28-2011, 12:29 PM
Just use shipping foam aka popcorn.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jdouglas
05-28-2011, 12:57 PM
I guess I might try some of those suggestions mentioned above. :) Some packing foam and a bunch of old t-shirts might work (plus the shirts could be used to clean the gun).

rareair
05-28-2011, 1:08 PM
Remove all 3 layers of foam in the Pelican case. Place your rifle and your friends rifle in separate soft carrying cases. Put both soft cases in the Pelican 1700 case.

Now, when you get to Alaska, you don't have to lug around a 20lb Pelican case, rather just tote around the soft cases to your favorite shooting area. Problem solved

jdouglas
05-28-2011, 1:25 PM
Remove all 3 layers of foam in the Pelican case. Place your rifle and your friends rifle in separate soft carrying cases. Put both soft cases in the Pelican 1700 case.

Now, when you get to Alaska, you don't have to lug around a 20lb Pelican case, rather just tote around the soft cases to your favorite shooting area. Problem solved

That could work too...although I'd have to make sure I put in plenty of other padding so stuff doesn't get banged around inside during baggage handler time.

X-NewYawker
05-28-2011, 1:40 PM

What I was gonna say. And pack your clothes around the cases so you won't need an extra bag

NSR500
05-28-2011, 2:19 PM
rareair and XNY have good suggestions.

Ahhnother8
05-28-2011, 2:24 PM
And pack your clothes around the cases so you won't need an extra bag

And binoculars, ammo, skinning knife, etc. Get it up to the 50 pound limit.