View Full Version : AK or FAL

12-11-2006, 1:43 AM
For the people building the AKs and FALs, which one cost the least to build?

12-11-2006, 1:56 AM
The AK will be cheaper. The AK can be made for around $300. The FAL runs around $600. Both of those are on the low end and can easily push $1000 depending on parts, quality, etc.

Because of the comparison I would also like to point out that they use two different rounds. The AK uses the 7.62x39 where as the FAL uses the 7.62x51 which is quite a bit more powerful (same bullet diameter, but quite a bit different ballistically). The AK could probably push out to 600 yards reliably where as the FAL could push out to 900 yards reliably (they can be pushed farther, but I am talking about the average person).

AK aftermarket parts are also quite a bit more abundant, and while ammo is cheaper it tends to have longer 'dry cycles' where it is harder to find due to the limited number of weapons that use it (and the limited production runs that American manufacturers seem to put it on).

The FAL is all around a more exspensive weapon but is arguably a better weapon as well. If I had to choose I would personally go for the FAL, but if money is a big issue then go for the AK.

12-11-2006, 6:30 AM
Yea....the FAL definitely more expensive. The receivers along cost over $400 (DSA) retail while the AK receivers can be about $50 bucks (nodak) or more. But the FAL rocks.

12-11-2006, 6:36 AM
Well Century receivers can be had for under $200. While Century had a bad name in the past, a lot of talk on the FAL files suggests that the newer receivers are much better, and aside from a rough finish (because they are cast) they are getting up the quality of the better receivers (not as good as DSA, but getting closer). I've also seens one that someone had bead blasted and re-pakerized and it looks great, almost as nice as the DSA's, but MUCH better than the Entreprise. I'm actually thinking of getting another one as a project gun. Add in that I've seen parts kits as cheap as $180 and you could have a $500 FAL. Not bad in my book.

12-11-2006, 6:38 AM
Your right, I try and get the middle of the road when it comes to receivers, plus my FAL builder strongly recommended DSA. He won't recommend an Enterprise however (even their newest batches)

12-11-2006, 7:31 AM
As a soldier, I've carried an AK for 2 years. Good rifle.
But as a civilian, I like the FAL better. This is why I built one for myself.

12-11-2006, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the replies fellas.
Which would be easier to build, an AK from stripped receiver or to convert a Saiga?

12-12-2006, 5:24 AM
Thanks for the replies fellas.
Which would be easier to build, an AK from stripped receiver or to convert a Saiga?

Well it all depends on the build. Most AKs fall into either a screw build or a rivet build category. Both of which are fairly easy with the tools (which cost about $200 to get EVERYTHING you need and do it with professional/original quality, down to $20 for the cheaper style builds). I've even heard of people building them with a hammer and rivet forms they made with a hand drill (not sure how well they turned out though).

Saiga conversions are probably a bit more tricky as you usually have to start playing weird games with stocks, etc. I believe most of the Saiga conversions were based on a stock/pistol grip combo since the Saiga doesn't have the opening in the receiver for the pistol grip screw. You could cut one, but I then you are getting into tricky territory, which is what you wanted to avoid in the first place.

In all honesty, a pre-drilled AK receiver is probably the easiest way to go. If you demill your parts right you could put the whole thing together with reltive ease, especially if doing a screw build. If you want to do a rivet build but don't have a press, there are ways to 'press' the barrel with a torch and your kitche freezer. If you have absolutely NO tools at all, then it would be in your best interest to just buy a pre-assembled AK and just have them remove the pistol grip to make it California-legal.

12-12-2006, 7:38 AM
If youre looking to "fill-out" your gun collection get the FAL. If you already have an AR that you are happy with, the AK will be redundant cause you already have a rifle for that range. The Fal reaches out farther, with a more "powerful" round.

12-12-2006, 7:44 AM
The FAL whether made by FN or just a parts kit and a DSA receiver are great rifles. and remember the phrase you get what you pay for?

Well this applies with firearms as well as anything else and one of the reasons AK'S are so cheap is that they are cheap while its an interesting design and some feel its reliable the FN FAL is IMHO a much better designed and built weapon system.

12-12-2006, 7:54 AM
Any well equipped gun enthusiast should have both.