PDA

View Full Version : Registered Post Ban AR alterations

S2Jesse
05-28-2011, 10:19 AM
Ive been searching all day and i cant really make sense of this question. Ive heard multiple things from different gun store owners in the area etc.

I own an have registered a post ban bushmaster ar.... I got it right before 2000. It basically has no flash hider, a fixed stock etc. Now that the bill has expired... Am i allowed to add a collapsible stock, flash hider etc?

Or do i have to build a separate bb version to barbie out?

thanks for any info or if you can point me toward any posts i may have missed.

Jesse

Librarian
05-28-2011, 10:54 AM
If you have a registered 'assault weapon' you may legally add or remove all the 'evil features' you like - it's already an 'assault weapon'.

Be sure you have the CA paperwork, not just think you do; I'm not questioning, but a lot of folks have made mistakes about that. An example of the paperwork is here: http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu272/Wiringguy/sampleawregistrationdoc.jpg

G-forceJunkie
05-28-2011, 11:56 AM
You can pretty much do anything you want to is short of making it a machine gun, less than 26" OAL, or barrel under 16". Add or remove all the pistol grips, collapasable stocks, bayonet lugs, flash hiders, threaded barrels, etc you want.

jtmkinsd
05-28-2011, 12:35 PM
You can pretty much do anything you want to is short of making it a machine gun, less than 26" OAL, or barrel under 16". Add or remove all the pistol grips, collapasable stocks, bayonet lugs, flash hiders, threaded barrels, etc you want.

Threaded barrels are not an "evil feature" and have no significance on long guns.

S2Jesse
05-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback... Yep have the same document indeed.

G-forceJunkie
05-28-2011, 2:33 PM
Right, that is why i said he could put it on. This was not the case when the OP bought the rifle, it was a federal offence at the time. The OP is asking what he can do now, and thread the barrel is one of things he can do since the Fed AWB lapsed in 2004.

Threaded barrels are not an "evil feature" and have no significance on long guns.

bwiese
05-28-2011, 4:24 PM
Confirming that you can add any evil feature (except grenade launcher) to your registered AW.

On Sept 14, 2004 zillions of "Federal post-ban" ARs lost their A2 stocks, got CAR/M4 stocks, flash hiders, etc. overnight.

[G/Ls are intrinsically and separately illegal in CA beside being an 'evil feature'.]

santacruzstefan
05-28-2011, 4:57 PM
If you have a registered 'assault weapon' you may legally add or remove all the 'evil features' you like - it's already an 'assault weapon'.

Be sure you have the CA paperwork, not just think you do; I'm not questioning, but a lot of folks have made mistakes about that. An example of the paperwork is here: http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu272/Wiringguy/sampleawregistrationdoc.jpg

Based on that example of the paperwork, do RAWs need to maintain the same caliber as listed on the registration, or can they be changed? Could it have been registered as "MULTI" for the caliber?

bwiese
05-28-2011, 6:15 PM
Based on that example of the paperwork, do RAWs need to maintain the same caliber as listed on the
registration, or can they be changed? Could it have been registered as "MULTI" for the caliber?

No.

Remember, the related underlying crime is 12280PC, possession (or transport) of an unregistered assault weapon.

The simple and complete rebuttal/defense to that charge is "this gun is a registered AW", and hold out your reg papers.

Any gun parameter can be changed [outside identifying info like S/N etc.] - caliber, barrel length, overall length, etc. As long as a given gun of a given make, model and serial# is

The only criteria that need to be observed is that the gun does not transition into some other prohibited category (SBR/SBS/MG/AOW, etc.)

The barrel length & caliber are only supplemental identifying information requested by DOJ under "any other information the Department may deem appropriate."

Some of us did in fact register our AWs in 2000 with multiple caliber entries "just in case" until we got clarification - that's how the "8888" multicaliber designator came about. But there is no requirement the gun "stay in same form" as when registered.

To mock Gertrude Stein, "a registered AW is a registered AW is a registered AW is a registered AW."

If you have a reg'd AW, do feel free to replace your 16" bbl'd upper with a 20" one or vice versa, or change calibers from 5.56 to 9mm or 6.8, etc.

It would be very very very interesting and fun :) for someone to be charged w/an AW violation for a registered AW that had a different caliber or (legal) barrel length than the original registration. It would also be very very interesting and fun :) for someone to be charged with an AW violation for having a registered AW of a given make/model/serial# that didn't match the mangled entry system DOJ used (they 'normed' make/model information at time of data entry to NCIC standards and botched it bigtime).