PDA

View Full Version : FFL right/A rip off? 1911 S&W vs Rock Island

redking
05-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Went to the local gun shops where I live. There is only one in my home town, and another 25 miles away near where I work.

At the one near where I live they have a Rock Island 1911 for $625 with Fixed sights, and a Smith and Wesson 1911 with fixed sights for $1300.

At the one 25 miles away closer to where I work he had a Rock Island 1911 for pretty much the same price, and it looked exactly the same, and a Smith and Wesson with and adjustable rear sight for $1099

he was telling me all about how the reason his prices are high is because the 1911 is highly sought after and you can't buy any new ones because they are not "CALIFORNIA APPROVED", so the only ones available are 2 years old. (not sure if that means used) he said he could order pretty much anything, but when I asked about Taurus and Kimber he said they were impossible to get, and if I wanted one that would last long I should get the Smith and Wesson.

I'm not familiar with the different model numbers or anything so I'm not sure what the retail value on these actually is, from what I saw online the rock island 1911's are 380-425 and the Smith and Wesson's range - I know neither of them were stainless steel which is what I THINK I want simply for longevity's sake (want to give this to my son)

The transfer fee at the local guy's shop close to me was $95 so I may just buy one online and pay the fee. Looks like would still save me some money

I am just torn between shopping local and picking one up out of town (100 miles or so)

From what I'm seeing online I may be able to save a massive amount of money doing that, but I work in a local shop and want to support local business.

What do you all think?

Blackhawk556
05-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Is they are not California approved why is he selling them?? Single shot??? Sounds like BS to me.

Blackhawk556
05-28-2011, 10:32 AM
Sorry I meant "if"

zfields
05-28-2011, 10:35 AM
such a rip off. Hes blowing smoke in your ***.

zfields
05-28-2011, 10:36 AM
PS what is your location.

Andy Taylor
05-28-2011, 10:55 AM
This dealer is full of hourse manure.

Festus
05-28-2011, 11:47 AM
A shop local to me is selling the Rock Island 1911 for $425, and has a Colt 1911 for about $1000. Your local dealer seems to be trying to take you for a ride.

TKM
05-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Back slowly away. Never turn your back on crazy people.

Keep one hand on your wallet, the other on your zipper.

What he's trying to do to you is legal in the armed forces now, but it doesn't mean you have to partake.

BigDogatPlay
05-28-2011, 1:16 PM
he was telling me all about how the reason his prices are high is because the 1911 is highly sought after and you can't buy any new ones because they are not "CALIFORNIA APPROVED", so the only ones available are 2 years old.

I call shenanigans on that store..... 15 yards and loss of down. :mad:

Flyin Brian
05-28-2011, 2:05 PM
First off, the line about not being able to purchase a new 1911 sounds like a stinky pile of BS. It is possible however, that he was talking about one specific model that may have expired from the roster, but in general, the "2 years or older" thing makes no sense. It sounds like this guy has a S & W that he wants to sell and you looked like the perfect mark for him to push it on to. Yes, Kimbers are in demand and sometimes the shops are low on stock, but I've never heard anyone describe a Taurus as hard to get.... hard to sell maybe? LOL

I would encourage you to go to a few other shops, ask questions, take notes, write down model numbers and straight up ask them why this one costs more than another one, etc. Be careful comparing pistols (or any firearm for that matter) just by the look or the fact that it has fixed sights... unless you have the model number to compare you may be looking at the wrong prices when you look it up online. There are probably 20 different combinations of Rock Island 1911, such as single stack, double stack, 9mm, 38 super, .40, .45, match, blued, stainless, etc etc, so unless you know for sure which one you are looking at you can't compare them accurately.

Like you, I prefer to buy local but I will explain that to the shop and ask them to give me their best price possible. My wife bought a nice Sig last year and we knew the price from Buds Guns. We explained to the store owner that we want to buy local but their price was $1,200 compared to $999 online. He didn't even hesitate and offered to match the price just to make the sale!! We ended up buying 2 more guns from that store and both at retail, so it worked out in his favor :)

redking
05-28-2011, 9:32 PM
Well I shopped around for the 1911 AND Mossberg Maverick 88 I want.

Apparently NO ONE within 100 miles of me has a Colt 1911 for sale.

A lot of them had Kimber, springfield, and rock island for the same price locally.

However I did find a deal on a mossberg 500 at a Big5 about 60 miles out from where I live. Came with 28" barrel and 18.5" for $289 where the guy locally wanted $269 for the Maverick 88" and $90 for the 18.5" barrel.

No Colts though, from what it's sounds like i'll have to be extra careful choosing my 1911. I have a few months until I have the cash anyways... so a few months to decide which one is the best investment.

definitely thinking of going with Colt.. since it was theirs in the first place, right?

Trying not to let my friends convince me I don't need a "100 year old gun"

jbe90
05-28-2011, 11:17 PM
Where are you located?

Mofo-Kang
05-28-2011, 11:44 PM
Yes, Kimbers are in demand and sometimes the shops are low on stock, but I've never heard anyone describe a Taurus as hard to get.... hard to sell maybe? LOL

He was probably referring to the fact that the Taurus 1911's aren't on the roster, so they're hard to get in CA.

railroader
05-29-2011, 5:08 AM
Yes where are you located? Somebody can help you out if you give us a starting point. Mark

Mickey D
05-29-2011, 5:43 AM
The guy is full of BS.

There are at least two shops in the Bay Area that have all RIA models.
Triple A in Vallejo and City Arms in Pleasant Hill. Starting at $449
Where are you located?

evidens83
05-29-2011, 11:37 AM
Troll?

redking
05-29-2011, 5:56 PM
No I am not trolling, I am pretty close to Sacramento, close enough to San Francisco.

North Bay.

Going to Ukiah next weekend (Very nor-cal)

SixPointEight
05-29-2011, 6:01 PM
No I am not trolling, I am pretty close to Sacramento, close enough to San Francisco.

North Bay.

If you're close to Sac you could come to Cordova Shooting Center.

Colt's are pretty hard to get right now, but we have a selection of Rock Islands, Kimbers and Sig 1911's in.

JanG
05-29-2011, 6:05 PM
professional firearms in lodi just got 4 ria tactical, 1 ria gi, 1 ria mid size, and one compact

norcal rider
05-29-2011, 6:21 PM
Being that you are a relative new comer, Welcome to Cal Guns. Try looking through this thread for some ideas on FFLs near you: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=58134

Hope the link works. If not, go to "General Gun Discussions" and look for the thread titled "Bay Area Gun Dealers List". If you are close to Sacramento, there are many good shops to choose from. My best experiences have been at: River City Guns (ask for Dean or Dale) and Action Arms (Justin). Good luck.

redking
05-29-2011, 8:37 PM
professional firearms in lodi just got 4 ria tactical, 1 ria gi, 1 ria mid size, and one compact

So I take it you like Rock Island Armory?

LOL

I mostly just want something that will be reliable and last forever.

Something I can hand down to my kids.

If the value increases over time, that is an added bonus.

JanG
05-30-2011, 5:23 AM
So I take it you like Rock Island Armory?

LOL

I mostly just want something that will be reliable and last forever.

Something I can hand down to my kids.

If the value increases over time, that is an added bonus.

yes i do. i've tried kimbers, springfield and smith. nothing felt right in my hand than the ria. i'm trying to rebuild my ria collection that i sold to get the "name brands". sure the kimber felt really smooth, and so did the smith, and springers feel solid. but can't get over the fps on two of them, and my springer was really rough and cut my fingers with the slide edges a few times when i was cleaning it.

so now i'm getting more than my money's worth by getting a ria collection. next on the list is the match version, or another tactical.

jimbos44
05-30-2011, 7:03 AM
River City Gun Exchange , No SW1911, But colts,kimbers, para, sig, etc... Sacramento. On Fruitridge

jimbos44
05-30-2011, 7:04 AM
Oh yea, good prices

vmwerks
05-30-2011, 7:28 AM

North Bay.

Action Guns or Wild Bill's, I was in Wild Bill's to do a DROS, they had a ton of 1911's in every make.

Ripon83
05-30-2011, 7:36 AM
Shop in Tracy had a Colt XSE for less then $1k. If you wanted to go Colt. It sounds like your local shops will make a trip out of the area worth it for you. If you want something to pass down generations I think Colt is what you want; its not that S&W, RIA (which I own), Sig or Kimber isn't good its just the name and in this case the features/name value is there at $1k. Pick up the phone, call bay area and Sac area dealers, and when you find one you want make the trip. The $625 for a $499 (retail) gun is sad.

zfields
05-30-2011, 8:47 AM
There is a ton of gunshops in the sac to bay area. You really didnt narrow it down at all.

redking
05-30-2011, 10:27 PM
Ukiah is about 80 miles north of me, Santa Rosa is about 70 miles south. These are the two places I would be willing to drive to.

I am located in Lake County, CA

Really leaning toward either the Rock Island for instant gratification, or Colt for long term.

Mickey D
05-31-2011, 5:47 AM
Though a RIA might meet your criteria for reliability and longevity, a Colt will be much better as an heirloom to your children, IMHO. ;)

I have both.

redking
05-31-2011, 9:16 AM
Though a RIA might meet your criteria for reliability and longevity, a Colt will be much better as an heirloom to your children, IMHO. ;)

I have both.

And getting both might be an option down the line as well. I'm just afraid of more laws changing making them harder to get. Or finances changing to where I can't afford a 1-2k gun.

And of course all these guys are telling me if I don't get a kimber, or a S&W, or whatever brand they think is the best, it will jam all the time and be completely inaccurate.

Now I just have to find someone that has a colt. None of the stores I have called have them in stock D:<

JanG
05-31-2011, 10:08 AM
new colts are hard to come by these year, with the 100 yr thing and all. you could always get a rock for now and save up for colts next year or find a used colt.

redking
05-31-2011, 10:57 AM
I wouldn't mind a used one at all, just can't find one anywhere. going to look online later on.

stormy_clothing
05-31-2011, 3:05 PM
a guy who just bought a safe from me bought an RI used for 200 - there is no way in hell unless it's hot an s&w will go for 400 bux used.

cmichini
05-31-2011, 3:39 PM
Anything you hear from a CA FFL you should automatically assume is a load of crap until you get some sort of confirmation from a responsible adult.

This one is a great case in point.

redking
05-31-2011, 3:51 PM
http://www.impactguns.com/colt-1911-gold-cup-trophy-45-ss-o5070x-098289041067.aspx

this one looks very promising.

At the dealer in town it costs $100 to transfer by shipping. $35 in person.

so +$100 doesn't seem to bad compared to his bloated prices.

I haven't talked to any others about getting items shipped to them.

redking
06-03-2011, 8:46 AM
Definitely going with the "gold cup trophy" I linked before.

I've been salivating over it all week. lifetime warranty! Almost sounds too good to be true!

camron882
06-03-2011, 9:28 AM
at one of the local gun shops in SD, they have a RIA tactical for $519 NEW

redking
06-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Where is SD?

519 still seems a bit steep since it is $100 less online...

genesis121
06-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Also remember if you buy it online from a out of state shop, like Buds Guns, you will still have to pay CA sales tax......

camron882
06-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Where is SD?

519 still seems a bit steep since it is $100 less online...

American Shooting Center

redking
06-07-2011, 1:09 PM
American Shooting Center

LOL 8-12 hrs away

TheDeej
06-07-2011, 3:56 PM
I just DROSed a RIA Tactical from River City Gun Exchange in Sacramento. First time there, nice shop. The place was packed and I still got awesome, fast service. They have the GI for $440 and the Tactical for $500+tax/DROS. Don't recall seeing Colts but there were a lot of guns in the cases so try giving them a call.