PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding S&W M&P15T

12:13
12-10-2006, 11:09 PM
Anybody own a Smith & Wesson M&P15T have the same problem as me? Unlike my other builds that require just a push of the thumb, the takedown pin is really tight where I have to use a punch to pry it loose. I've got no problems w/the pivot pin. My option(s) would be to bring a hammer & punch to the range or get a monsterman grip w/a detachable mag. Any suggestions/help/confirmation regarding the tight tolerence on the M&P greatly appreciated.

Jon
12-10-2006, 11:17 PM
I don't own one, but are you using the stock takedown pin or an extended one? I've been using an extended takedown pin and it is vastly easier to remove/handle.

PLINK
12-10-2006, 11:30 PM
You can get the Watson Weapons extended take down pin. CWS and 10% sells them.

I do have one rifle that is very tight. I made this one a evil featureless U-15 build. I use a bic classic ball point pen (white body/blue or black ink) and remove the ink part (metal part with ink tube) to "open" the take down pin. Use the tappered end to push in the take down pin. This home made tool works well and should not mar up the receiver. They say over time it will take down pin operation will loosen up.

xenophobe
12-10-2006, 11:41 PM
I have an extended takedown on my S&W M&P-15T... works just fine.

If yours is tight, take the upper off of the lower, and actuate the detent a couple dozen times from closed to fully open and back... add a bit of oil and you should be good.

12-11-2006, 6:17 AM
Thanks for the reply guys. I forgot to mention, it is the stock pin. I need to squeeze the upper & lower together really tight to get the holes to line up. The TD pin needs to be hammered in as a simple push won't do. And again to remove the TD pin, it needs to be hammered out with a punch, so the bic pen (while helpful and a good tip to save the thumbs) wouldn't work.

fguerra
12-11-2006, 9:45 AM
What Xeno said. I have a M&P15 and added an extended takedown pin with a little CLP and works just fine.

Paratus et Vigilans
12-11-2006, 2:25 PM
If the rear take down pin only binds up when you're locking down the upper (i.e., if it goes in and out smoothly when not going through the hole in the tang of the upper that it passes through to hold the parts together), I suggest you eyeball the way the holes line up with the pin in the "out" condition and the upper and lower closed together, and then give the hole in the tang of the upper a couple of quick passes with a small round file to create a little "give" where you need it for smooth operation - but only a couple - you don't want it loose - you just don't want it as tight as it is now.

And yes, they do tend to loosen up with use, but when they're as tight as you've described, you're in for a long wait for the loosening and might want to hurry the process along just a little bit. :)

So ~~ how does it run?? It looks real slick in the magazine reviews - is it that nice in "real life"?

bwiese
12-11-2006, 2:30 PM
So ~~ how does it run?? It looks real slick in the magazine reviews - is it that nice in "real life"?

Well I'm sure Xeno will speak up, but I've handled his rifle.

It's definitely a premium rifle w/everything fitting nicely. Not a match trigger of course, but nice. Fit & finish are top-notch

Xeno's told me it's quite accurate. Last I saw of his M&P15, it had the new Elcan 1x-4X sight on it - I think that cost more than the rifle!

trouble
12-11-2006, 3:27 PM
Have read on the M&P-pistol forums that the m&p15's are really tight (kind of in a good way). I'm sure it will loosen eventually and the extended takedown pin is a really cheap option.

Anyone know if s&w sell a stripped lower badged with m&p? Would love to have one to match my m&p 40. :)

xenophobe
12-11-2006, 3:37 PM
Smith & Wesson does not sell stripped receivers. You want a S&W marked AR, you need to buy the whole thing.

Thanks for the reply guys. I forgot to mention, it is the stock pin. I need to squeeze the upper & lower together really tight to get the holes to line up. The TD pin needs to be hammered in as a simple push won't do. And again to remove the TD pin, it needs to be hammered out with a punch, so the bic pen (while helpful and a good tip to save the thumbs) wouldn't work.

Yours sounds tighter than mine. My pin is snug, but does not need to be forced out. This goes for the standard pin that it came with, and the Watson's Extended. Sometimes the detent needs to be broken in, and actuating it a bunch and some oil will help. The Watson's pin isn't hardened, so if you get one, they break in pretty fast.

Well, I haven't shot mine for accuracy yet. So far I've shot a couple of boxes of Black Hills 75gr without any problems. I'll be shooting the 73gr Berger tomorrow and sighting in my Elcan with it, so I'll let you know tomorrow. ;)

bwiese
12-11-2006, 3:38 PM
Well, I haven't shot mine for accuracy yet. So far I've shot a couple of boxes of Black Hills 75gr without any problems. I'll be shooting the 73gr Berger tomorrow and sighting in my Elcan with it, so I'll let you know tomorrow. ;)

You lucky bastard, I wish I could go shooting tomorrow...

1hotshooter
12-11-2006, 7:15 PM
Stag...

RRA....

S&W...

All tight - CLP & use it more often

:D

12-15-2006, 8:08 PM
Is it a new receiver? Mine required bringing a punch to the range for the first couple hundred rounds then it loosened up. I also coated everything possible with CLP.

I found that putting the muzzle against the bench, my left hand pushing down on the rear sight area, and my right hand under the back of the stock, I was able to push in the pin much easier.

Yep, brand spankin' new! Haven't shot it yet. Did the usual pose in front of the mirror, like a kid w/a new toy! Will use the CLP tip!

As stated previously, I haven't taken it out yet :(. I do like the feel of the rail covers that came w/the S&W better than the Tango Down variety though.

Ooooo, Elcan. Sweet! I'm jealous! Thanks again to everyone who've posted. I'll definitely be using most of the suggestions.

thmpr
12-15-2006, 8:48 PM
Is it worth $1700.00?

xenophobe
12-15-2006, 9:44 PM
Ooooo, Elcan. Sweet! I'm jealous! Thanks again to everyone who've posted. I'll definitely be using most of the suggestions.

I'm very pleased. Although it took quite a few shots to get my scope zeroed, I put 40 rounds of BH 73gr Berger into a 2" oval about an inch high at 100y through my 1/9 twist barrel. Pretty nice considering it's only a 4 power scope and I wasn't too focused on accuracy.

Both the rifle and scope are keepers. I would buy them both again if I had to.

12-20-2006, 7:21 PM
Is it worth $1700.00?

Yup, but I still haven't shot it yet (I know, I know....). Not to thrilled about bringing a hammer and a punch to the range. Besides, I'm debating on picking up the new MMG when it's available - hopefully soon) and swaping out w/my A2 stock, then I can just use the detachable mag.:D I'm sure you can get it cheaper than $1700, but you've gotta invest some time in finding a vendor that will break it down for you. Also, some of my other builds cost more after you factor in the S&H, finding the right upper, barrel, lower, buis, furniture, etc.

I'm very pleased. Although it took quite a few shots to get my scope zeroed, I put 40 rounds of BH 73gr Berger into a 2" oval about an inch high at 100y through my 1/9 twist barrel. Pretty nice considering it's only a 4 power scope and I wasn't too focused on accuracy.

Both the rifle and scope are keepers. I would buy them both again if I had to.

Well there you go, another thumbs up!