PDA

View Full Version : Asking for Advice on Purchase of a SCAR or ACR

mrvash
05-28-2011, 6:25 AM
Hello wonderful, informative community of Calguns :)

I'm in the market for one of these fine rifles in 5.56mm, I may be putting my AR up for sale just to afford one of these. My price range is, say $1,000-$1,500 (I know, not an impressive price range, but I'm a 'broke' college student.)

Just a few questions for you all:

1)Out of the two, which rifle would be the cheapest in price? SCAR or ACR?
2)Where can I order the rifle? and what exactly do I have to do to make the rifle CA compliant with AW laws.
3)I would prefer either rifle in Tan color, is this asking too much?
4)Either rifle in the 5.56/.223 configuration, do they both accept AR magazines without modifications?

P.S,
I wouldn't mind a used one either, if that helps at all. Thanks guys! :)

BostonFan
05-28-2011, 6:45 AM
You won't be able to afford either one with that budget. Sorry bud

shooterdude
05-28-2011, 6:57 AM
With that budget you can buy/build a very nice AR and Duracoat it any color you want.

Just curious, what do need/want a SCAR or ACR?

Baconator
05-28-2011, 7:03 AM
I paid $2,400ish for my SCAR,I doubt you will find one for what you want to pay. You can build/buy an AR though.

ETA

I'm in the market for one of these fine rifles in 5.56mm, I may be putting my AR up for sale just to afford one of these. My price range is, say $1,000-$1,500 (I know, not an impressive price range, but I'm a 'broke' college student.)

It depends.
2)Where can I order the rifle? and what exactly do I have to do to make the rifle CA compliant with AW laws.
Riflegear sells them. You can't order it and then fix it. It has to be altered so that it cannot be fired from a shorter than 30 in configuration with either a long flash hider or pinning the folding stock. If it is going to retain the pistol grip and flash hider it will need a radlock/bullet button. The FFL will have to do these things for you.
I have a SCAR in tan, it wasn't any more expensive.
4)Either rifle in the 5.56/.223 configuration, do they both accept AR magazines without modifications?
The SCAR has some issues with some PMAGS, depending on who you ask. I only use regular old USGI style mags in mine

P.S,

ZX-10R
05-28-2011, 7:03 AM

P.S,

Broke college student? With that budget and statement, you have no business looking at those guns at all. You are not even close to the price.

docsmileyface
05-28-2011, 8:00 AM
Average price around here is $2500-$3000 for the SCAR 16S, depending on where you go. I have not seen any ACRs here, but on Gunbroker the Basic models are going for a lot closer to your budget range.

louscamaro91
05-28-2011, 8:04 AM
Scar16's go for $1900-$2300 here.
I cant say what the ACR's go for because I have a lack of interest in owning one.

Here is one that sold for $1950
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=377557&highlight=Scar

Here is a unfired one that went for $2250
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=435561&highlight=Scar

Bongos
05-28-2011, 8:31 AM
Get your Degree, start making money, put $200 aside a month for about a year and Wah Lah.. you have the opportunity to pick up a USED SCAR 16s.. I did the research and I think actual cost is around $1800-$1900 just to make the SCAR, the type of polymer FN uses to make the SCAR is very advance and costly, they did not cut corners, so I doubt you will ever see any New one under the $2K price...

That said, you might some poor guy needing cash and be willing to sale you one for $1500 but I think that is a dream as most will just post it up for $1900 and it will get snatched up in less than 15 minutes...here anyway

Now the ACR is a different story, with the recalls and lost of customer confidence you might be able to pick one up for $1400 (still over your budget) and that is realistic...

Side note, i own the SCAR and yes, from my experience owning the guns like LMT, LWRC, FN (FS2000 another fun gun), etc....it's the only piston 556 rifle I was able to acheive .5 MOA.. everything else at best was 1.5" or more.. Also I have no experience with the ACR (outside of holding it) , so no testing was done for accuracy...

Steve1968LS2
05-28-2011, 8:36 AM
For 1,500 you can buy a nice DI AR.. and some sort of optic. You certainly won't find a 16s SCAR or even ACR.

I just sold my scar for $2200 (the one listed above) and I had all sorts of offers of $1800.. which I didn't even consider.. so I can't see $1500 happening, even for beat up blem.

BUT you will have better luck finding an ACR.. still, it's a better idea to get a nice AR and some sort of optic and a few accessories.

BigfootHunter
05-28-2011, 8:40 AM
I'd have to agree with the above posters, that budget won't get you an ACR or SCAR. I definitely wouldn't part with a reliably functioning AR to afford it (assuming your AR is reliable). I would go with the "wait to graduate, put $XX amount of moolah away each month" suggestion (maybe take it out of the party "kitty", I know a lot was spent in the pursuit of fun when i was an undergrad).

Also, not to get off topic, but in my opinion these rifles are nice, but don't offer much in the way of making your AR obsolete. They seem like more of a solution looking for a problem to me. Have you ever been able to check out either in person or is this more of a "saw it in COD" type of purchase? No offense here, I was super excited to see them in COD, but once I actually checked them out over at Riflegear, that excitement faded into :confused:

I'd definitely suggest more ammo for the AR, as well as an optic, if you don't have one as well. Also consider buying some training time with your current rifle, as this will be valuable for once you eventually do get a SCAR or ACR, assuming you still want one after handling it.

louscamaro91
05-28-2011, 9:04 AM
I would keep the AR and invest in a quality optic and ammo!
That being said, I handled a SCAR and am on the fence about getting one.
There is no way that FN is into the SCAR for $1800-1900 to produce. Wholesale prices are probably $1800 from the distributers.

What's "saw it on cod"?

Baconator
05-28-2011, 9:05 AM
I would keep the AR and invest in a quality optic and ammo!
That being said, I handled a SCAR and am on the fence about getting one.
There is no way that FN is into the SCAR for $1800-1900 to produce.
All the fees to manufacture the guns the R&D, excise taxes as well as loads of other expenses. Wholesale prices are probably $1800 from the distributers.

What's "saw it on cod"?

I'm guessing "call of duty."

BigfootHunter
05-28-2011, 9:10 AM
I'm guessing "call of duty."

Ding! Ding!

Baconator
05-28-2011, 9:16 AM
It isn't a great price for the gun, but I loved it ever since I saw it (and it wasn't in call of duty). Once I got it and started shooting it, I loved it even more. Is it the best thing to have like $4k tied up in one gun (between the gun and the acog)? Maybe not, but I don't argue with guys who spend $2k on a 1911.

Bongos
05-28-2011, 9:29 AM
but in my opinion these rifles are nice, but don't offer much in the way of making your AR obsolete. They seem like more of a solution looking for a problem to me, but once I actually checked them out over at Riflegear, that excitement faded into :confused:

Well, I don't totally don't agree, the reason why piston ARs are all the fad, is because since the gas is expelled in the front of the gun, the action is kept clean, thus not having to clean your rifle for 5K-7K, some advertised at 15K (though I do not know about that).. what this translate is reliability, a clogged up AR will have possible reliability issues. Second note, if you look inside a SCAR, the only AR about it is it takes AR mags and has a A2 pistol grip, that's it, the gun is combined technology of some of the best "out of the box" design I've ever seen, FN does take designs of some of the most reliable AW out there, for instance the trigger group is similar to the H&K G3, FAL side charger, etc..

For all of you reloaders out there, the SCAR16s will do half MOA with 52gr HPBT or 53gr HP with 27 grn of Varget behind it...

Don't take it wrong and in this case "don't judge a book by it's Cover" does apply..JUst because it somewhat looks like a AR, it's not.. it's not an improvement over an existing design, this one was from the ground up..

Just because you handled one at the gun store, does not really represent actual rifle's capabilities.

BigfootHunter
05-28-2011, 9:44 AM
Well, I don't totally don't agree, the reason why piston ARs are all the fad, is because since the gas is expelled in the front of the gun, the action is kept clean, thus not having to clean your rifle for 5K-7K, some advertised at 15K (though I do not know about that).. what this translate is reliability, a clogged up AR will have possible reliability issues. Second note, if you look inside a SCAR, the only AR about it is it takes AR mags and has a A2 pistol grip, that's it, the gun is combined technology of some of the best "out of the box" design I've ever seen, FN does take designs of some of the most reliable AW out there, for instance the trigger group is similar to the H&K G3, FAL side charger, etc..

For all of you reloaders out there, the SCAR16s will do half MOA with 52gr HPBT or 53gr HP with 27 grn of Varget behind it...

Don't take it wrong and in this case "don't judge a book by it's Cover" does apply..JUst because it somewhat looks like a AR, it's not.. it's not an improvement over an existing design, this one was from the ground up..

Just because you handled one at the gun store, does not really represent actual rifle's capabilities.

Fair enough, but in light of the OP's budget, etc. probably not attainable for anywhere near $1500. I do realize it's not a copy of the AR, but it does seem to present itself as filling the same slot as the AR, which it may do admirably. However, IMHO I still say spend his budget on ammo, training and optic - in that order. FWIW i feel the same about piston AR's as well (though they have the additional issue of carrier tilt, which I believe the SCAR does not, correct?).

kozumasbullitt
05-28-2011, 10:18 AM
You may get lucky and find a used basic ACR off gun broker for $1500 but it seems like the prices have been going up for some reason.

My ACR shot right under 2" groups with cheap mil surp ammo using an Eotech, I have no doubt if I used some quality ammo it would be sub MOA.

Scar report to come but from my experience it shoots nothing like a piston AR and groups sub MOA with the right ammo.

docsmileyface
05-28-2011, 10:21 AM
If the OP sells his AR for a decent price then adds it to his $1500 budget he should be able to afford either the SCAR or ACR.

kozumasbullitt
05-28-2011, 10:25 AM
If the OP sells his AR for a decent price then adds it to his $1500 budget he should be able to afford either the SCAR or ACR.

I wouldn't sell an AR for either one, if he doesn't like the AR then he most likely won't like the ACR\SCAR.

SJgunguy24
05-28-2011, 11:00 AM
We do have both in stock, or at least they were in stock when I went home yesterday. Expecting to buy one for anything under double your price range is pretty unrealistic. Those are the new cool toys and they commond a premium price.

ir0nclash86
05-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Have you considered a robinson arms xcr?

You can get one brand new in your price range.

mrvash
05-28-2011, 12:31 PM
To answer some of your guys' questions, I do have an optic on my AR (Aimpoint Comp M2) and yes it's extremely reliable! it's just your basic CMMG WASP 16" 5.56 AR and I do love it, just thought I'd try a different platform. Thanks for the input guys, looks like I'll just keep my AR and get a SCAR AND ACR to add to my collection when my funds become more available. Thanks again!

mrvash
05-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Have you considered a robinson arms xcr?

You can get one brand new in your price range.

What is an XCR?

ir0nclash86
05-28-2011, 12:48 PM
What is an XCR?

Only one of the greatest rifles out there. ACR copied the controls off of the XCR. XCR is a long stroke piston designed off off the ak47. Shoots 1moa , has a quick change barrel with no loss of zero, ambi selector, ambi bolt release, 2 stage match trigger, winter trigger guard, adjustable gas settings, left side non reciprocating charging handle that DOES NOT interfere with optics like the scar and acr. Full monolithic rail, ejector is like an ak ak47, has different barrel lenghs available, different caliber conversions ie 7.62x39, 556 and 6.8.

I like my Scar because it just looks sexxy as hell. Hate the charging handle though because it's so damn high and gets in the way if you run an eotech and want to mount a magnifier behind it. Wish the Scar had an ambi bolt release as well. If I had to do it all over again I wouldve never sold my XCR

http://www.robarm.com/resources/products/xcrlstd/index.aspx

MrPlink
05-28-2011, 3:28 PM
[QUOTE=ir0nclash86;6488269
. Hate the charging handle though because it's so damn high and gets in the way if you run an eotech and want to mount a magnifier behind it.

[/QUOTE]

thats how I rationalized buying an Aimpoint for my SCAR 17!

Incidentally (not to make you feel bad OP ) I bought my SCAR17 with my final paycheck right before I returned to the life of a poor college student. I told myself I better blow my entire bonus check on one last toy because it would be quite a few years before I could do it again...

Oh well, 2 more semesters and three years of law school and I'll be right back to buying guns again! :(

mrvash
05-28-2011, 6:37 PM
I really want an AK as well, how much do those usually go for? something like a WASR, I don't really want a Saiga because I wouldn't want to do the converstion.

biko
05-28-2011, 6:57 PM
I had an xcr... Great concept. Bad execution.

louscamaro91
05-28-2011, 7:04 PM
I love my XCR!
Let me tell you it's been in some serious dirty brush and has performed flawlessly.

Uriah02
05-28-2011, 7:24 PM
From what I've read the ACR's main advantage is being so modular. The difficult part about the SCAR is having to permanently pin the folding stock. I haven't shot either to make an informed decision. Why do you want to drop so much $$$ for the new stuff?

BigfootHunter
05-28-2011, 7:51 PM
WASR - probably ~$500-600? Also, if you're interested in keeping the same ammo, you can get one in .223 as well. I understand not wanting to do the conversion, but it is VERY simple. I did my Saiga 12 with a power drill, hammer and punch (had a bolt on trigger guard though which simplified things some).

Also, if you've got any pre-ban magazines, you might be better off not converting it anyway (though with a grip wrap you can still use them after it's converted as well). I've got a Saiga in .223 I left unconverted so I can use my pre-ban GI magazines with an adapter (some machining required).

Unless you really want the 7.62x39, in which case you could still go Saiga and actually save some money. I say go with the Saiga, it's going to be more bang for the buck.

Bongos
05-28-2011, 8:36 PM
Why do you want to drop so much $$$ for the new stuff?

I know this is a BAD answer.... "Because you Can!".... Actually most of us will never be in a situation where we will be totting these things around in combat condition so owning a $2300 rifle does not make any sense, the truth of the matter is "It's Human Nature to Want the Best we can afford"

MrPlink
05-28-2011, 11:28 PM
From what I've read the ACR's main advantage is being so modular. The difficult part about the SCAR is having to permanently pin the folding stock. I haven't shot either to make an informed decision. Why do you want to drop so much $$$ for the new stuff?

you dont have to permanently pin anything. CA AWB makes no mention of permanence, it just needs to be disabled if the OAL is less than 30in.

I hate to add fuel to the fire, but not too long ago Travis Haley (former figure head of Magplul who designed the ACR) publicly stated that the SCARs have out performed the ACR in their training courses as far as accuracy, precison and reliability.

IIRC it was posted on his facebook page. I dont facebook, so you can check on your own if you want

pyro3k2
05-29-2011, 12:38 AM
I really want an AK as well, how much do those usually go for? something like a WASR, I don't really want a Saiga because I wouldn't want to do the converstion.

this would be the option for a "broke" student. They can be had for under 600 (out the door +/- FFL transfer fee's). You can spend all the extra money on ammo, range membership, gas to get to the range, or other school related items. If you just want it to be cool or draw attention, nothing draws more attention at the range than an AK. Besides a bigger AK that everyone confuses for a dragunov or a saiga 12. Everyone on and there mom owns an AR and everyone not familar with firearms is going to thing you are into airsoft when you show them an ACR/SCAR.

kozumasbullitt
05-29-2011, 1:08 AM
this would be the option for a "broke" student. They can be had for under 600 (out the door +/- FFL transfer fee's). You can spend all the extra money on ammo, range membership, gas to get to the range, or other school related items. If you just want it to be cool or draw attention, nothing draws more attention at the range than an AK. Besides a bigger AK that everyone confuses for a dragunov or a saiga 12. Everyone on and there mom owns an AR and everyone not familar with firearms is going to thing you are into airsoft when you show them an ACR/SCAR.

Why would people think your into airsoft if you own an ACR/SCAR?

Bongos
05-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Why don't you pick up a Sig556, it will be the best AK design you will ever find.. should find them as low as $900 these days

alfred1222
05-29-2011, 11:11 PM

I havent seen either an ACR or SCAR within your budget, not even used. But, as a fellow broke college student, saving up for this rifle is definetly worth it.

It depends on what model SCAR or ACR you are looking at
I got my ACR online, gunbroker has some dealers who will work with california laws
mines tan, and theres no price difference, so why not
yes they do

P.S,

GOOD LUCK

pyro3k2
05-29-2011, 11:27 PM
Why would people think your into airsoft if you own an ACR/SCAR?

was talking about showing your firearms to people outside of the firearm community. If you youtube either SCAR/ACR there is a fair amount of filtering through COD MW2 and airsoft video's. As a result most people outside of the community (more specifically the younger generation) will think you have an airsoft gun similar affect can be achieved by attending an episode of pimp my rifle with your AR.

kozumasbullitt
05-30-2011, 12:56 AM
was talking about showing your firearms to people outside of the firearm community. If you youtube either SCAR/ACR there is a fair amount of filtering through COD MW2 and airsoft video's. As a result most people outside of the community (more specifically the younger generation) will think you have an airsoft gun similar affect can be achieved by attending an episode of pimp my rifle with your AR.

I actually prefer people to think my guns are airsoft.

osis32
05-30-2011, 1:21 AM
Where can you get an xcr for 1k? I want one.

PEBKAC
05-30-2011, 1:45 AM
Only one of the greatest rifles out there. ACR copied the controls off of the XCR. XCR is a long stroke piston designed off off the ak47. Shoots 1moa , has a quick change barrel with no loss of zero, ambi selector, ambi bolt release, 2 stage match trigger, winter trigger guard, adjustable gas settings, left side non reciprocating charging handle that DOES NOT interfere with optics like the scar and acr. Full monolithic rail, ejector is like an ak ak47, has different barrel lenghs available, different caliber conversions ie 7.62x39, 556 and 6.8.

I like my Scar because it just looks sexxy as hell. Hate the charging handle though because it's so damn high and gets in the way if you run an eotech and want to mount a magnifier behind it. Wish the Scar had an ambi bolt release as well. If I had to do it all over again I wouldve never sold my XCR

http://www.robarm.com/resources/products/xcrlstd/index.aspx
XCR is a good suggestion. I've seen practically new ones with BUIS go for as low as $1200 on the marketplace.

Just make sure to get it as new as possible, older ones have...uh...issues.

OP, if you ever plan to get an XCR at some point, PM me and I'll run your through what to look for in a used one, the signs can sometimes be less than obvious. ;)

romeo26
05-30-2011, 9:18 AM
dude man i was in your situation. i just got a scar 17s for a graduation present to myself and i would consider myself to be a poor college student. in order to save up for it, i had to cut back on spending. no more going to the bars every thursdays, no more going to the clubs friday and saturdays, and eat at home more. Just save up, eventually you'll get it.

Iam just waiting for my next paycheck to buy ammo, or pay for the registry exam again if i dont pass the first time.

sorry cant answer your question, out of the two i never shot any of them. but i do like my 17s!