PDA

View Full Version : Mental Hospital 5250 mixup

jsharp06
05-27-2011, 11:56 PM
I was 14 years old and I got into and argument with my mother , she then took me to local mental health. I did not want to get out so the p.d was called and then I was admitted with no threats , or viloent act. I had to be transfered from San Joaquin County to a Valejo Ca. On day three my parents made the long drive to pick me up but I still did not want to be home (not that I wanted to hurt anyone I was being a stubborn knuckle head teenager). I then stayed and was labled "gravely disabled" and this extended my stay another 14 days (5250). At the end of the 2 weeks I still did not want to go home but the Doctor said they could not treat me anymore , there was no reason for me to stay. My thinking is I was Gravely disabled due to I was 14 and of course could not provide for myself not because of mental inpairment but I was underage.

I tried to purchase a firearm at the age of 21 ,I was denied due to my 5250, I then requested a hearing in which the San Joaquin County judge granted me my rights back with no objection from the D.A. What I do not understand is I still may be denied Federaly because of a 5250 (Gravely Disabled ) even though it was a voluntary request and NO threats to others or to myself were EVER made. If somebody could enlighten me if there is any hope for me to become a gunowner I would highly appreciate it or any coments that are related to my question.Thank you for your time hope to hear from someone soon.

bigcalidave
05-28-2011, 12:00 AM
You need a lawyer, as usual. Your childhood record should be able to be completely removed.

jsharp06
05-28-2011, 12:08 AM
Thank you for your reply. I have called most of them and even the referal line and no body can help because they are unfamiliar with laws. Does anyone know of any around the Stockton area? I have tried to locate something online about if there is any difference between minors and adults, one would think so . I do respect the fact that their are people that should not own firearms , however I am a law abiding citizen, family man as well as business owner. I am no criminal or "mental defective person".

cdtx2001
05-28-2011, 6:58 AM
Send a PM to members:

hoffmang or bwiese or kestryll

They can point you in the right direction.