PDA

View Full Version : 10/22 sling stud installation

SD Bay Basser
05-27-2011, 10:24 PM
I just purchased my first rifle and now I'm trying to get it ready for an appleseed.

It's a 10/22 carbine with a wood stock.

I just wanted some advice on where to drill to put the sling stud on the buttstock. 2 inches from the butt? 3 inches? I have no idea.

I ordered a stud that attaches to the barrel band so I don't need to drill the foreend, just the stock.

...also just as an observation that Jhook attached to the cotton sling sure makes a lot of noise. Is it okay to swap it for a swivel or do I want to keep it on there? It's faster to unhook than the swivel but man is it noisy.

V
05-27-2011, 10:46 PM
You want to drill so that you miss the screw holding the buttplate, its about 1 1/2 - 2 inches in.

You need to be able to remove the rear of the sling from the rifle so if you replace the jhook with a Quick Disconnect Uncle Mike swivel or such like then you will be good.

Cheers
V

easy
05-28-2011, 9:23 PM
According to Marlin Firearms, rear stud should be two inches from the heel, lower buttplate. I placed my front stud about 3/4" behind the front barrel band. This woks well for me.

SD Bay Basser
05-29-2011, 11:02 AM
Doh... didn't know the barrel band was plastic. I was thinking it would be a secure metal piece. I guess that extra kit was a waste since I had to put a stud on the foreend, too. The wood screws are alot more solid than I thought they would be, though. My sister was angry I used one of her scented candles to wax the threads! :)