PDA

View Full Version : Best SD caliber for indoors

osxar
05-27-2011, 9:04 PM
Which caliber (.45,9mm,.40,.38) is the easiest on the ears when factoring in the fact that in SD situation you dont get to put on ears.

Please rank these calibers
Thanks

ren
05-27-2011, 9:06 PM
here it goes again.

DannyInSoCal
05-27-2011, 9:20 PM
Everyones ears react differently.

Go to an indoor range and shoot two mags of all the calibers without your ears on.

Report back with your data.

And don't forget the 10ga, 12ga, 16ga, 20ga, .410 shotgun comparison...

cineski
05-27-2011, 9:23 PM
45 ACP.

Echidin
05-27-2011, 9:37 PM
Another vote for .45 acp.

NapaCountyShooter
05-27-2011, 9:37 PM
You're not going to enjoy any of them. Pick the gun and caliber you shoot the best.

ZombieTactics
05-27-2011, 9:45 PM
Which caliber (.45,9mm,.40,.38) is the easiest on the ears when factoring in the fact that in SD situation you dont get to put on ears.

It's a bit like asking which race car gets the best mileage. If you're worried about mileage, you are aren't really talking about racing.

If you're worried about loudness (in these calibers) you've ceased to be serious about the question of SD in the first place.

The other factor is that caliber is not a general determiner of volume. Other factors ... how hot the cartridge is loaded, how long the barrel, etc. come into play heavily.

In other words ... asking the question based upon caliber alone is senseless.

JanG
05-27-2011, 9:47 PM
22 mag :D

they're all gonna be loud indoors. i shot indoors with a 9mm once and one of my ear plugs fell off. ear was ringing for a couple of days.

SixPointEight
05-27-2011, 9:49 PM
I can't find it now, but there was a chart out there showing that the major SD calibers are all right in the same range as far as dB level. And all well above the hearing damage level.

This isn't confirmed, but google dropped this:
25 ACP 155.0 dB
.32 LONG 152.4 dB
.32 ACP 153.5 dB
.380 157.7 dB
9mm 159.8 dB
.38 S&W 153.5 dB
.38 Spl 156.3 dB
.357 Magnum 164.3 dB
.40 S&W 156 dB
.41 Magnum 163.2 dB
.44 Spl 155.9 dB
.45 ACP 157.0 dB
.45 COLT 154.7 dB

Confirmation on all but the .40 here"
http://www.freehearingtest.com/hia_gunfirenoise.shtml

And supposedly 10dB would be "twice as loud" just FYI

stix213
05-27-2011, 9:52 PM
I can't find it now, but there was a chart out there showing that the major SD calibers are all right in the same range as far as dB level. And all well above the hearing damage level.

Should be reason to legalize suppressors right there :mad:

meaty-btz
05-27-2011, 9:55 PM
I have discharged (ND) a .38 special +P+ in a narrow hallway.

Effect... hmm well.. long term? Nothing that showed up in any hearing test. Short term? Disorientation lasting roughly 6ish seconds? Hard to judge, but there was "momentary" disorientation caused by the concussion. Ringing and a headache and reduced hearing for the rest of the night. Back to normal the next day.

Firing ANY firearm indoors sucks without protection. IT sucks on all kinds of levels. Enclosed space (essentially any residential room or hallway) is even worse!

CarlozRossi
05-27-2011, 10:15 PM
I've heard people say when adrenaline kicks in, a gunshot doesn't sound as loud as it should be :confused:

meaty-btz
05-27-2011, 10:18 PM
I've heard people say when adrenaline kicks in, a gunshot doesn't sound as loud as it should be :confused:

Uhh, well, not really. I think the adrenaline helps counter the disorientation but it still rings your bell pretty good. Though I am sure after the first you really wont feel the next couple for several reasons. One your hearing protection (yes humans have built in hearing defense, its not perfect don't rely on it) kicks in and also you've already done the harm and are ringing you just wont notice the next few in quick succession. Still isnt healthy but hey, living is better than being on a slab in the morgue.

Target19
05-27-2011, 10:54 PM
.45 acp with a suppressor
Oops nvm on the suppressor!!!

STAGE 2
05-27-2011, 11:01 PM
The old timers on the S&W forum say you don't hear anything, as you're so pumped full of adrenaline .

Very true. Theres no way to judge, but there is a not so unlikely chance that you wont even hear the shots.

What is almost certian is that you'll be so busy defending yourself you won't be able to discern a difference between any of the normal defensive calibers.

hornswaggled
05-27-2011, 11:10 PM
According to Jim Cirillo's accounts, you won't hear a thing. In his first stakeout his partner was firing a 12-gauge right by his head during the fight and Cirillo says he heard nothing and thought his partner wasn't shooting at all. I imagine fear-based adrenaline pretty much shuts off any extraneous sensory input.

llamatrnr
05-27-2011, 11:57 PM
Neither will anything else for some time :eek:

ALSystems
05-27-2011, 11:59 PM
If you're worried about loudness (in these calibers) you've ceased to be serious about the question of SD in the first place.

Maybe you better try something silent like this: :D
http://www.ntsystemscal.com/download/other/rubber_band_gun2.jpg
The downside is that the stopping power rather weak. :(

forgiven
05-28-2011, 4:35 AM
I link a lot has to do with the load. In my experience the .9mm and .38 spl was the quietest.

geeknow
05-28-2011, 4:46 AM
personally, I am only concerned about ballistics and penetration in a SD gun. I dont plan on reducing a threat with loud noise.

05-28-2011, 7:08 AM
In my experience the .9mm ... was the quietest.

Sure, but it's got no knock down powah! :D

GuillermoAntonio
05-28-2011, 9:33 AM
Some say, the louder the better, sure you will be momentarily deaf, but imagine the bad guys impression when he hears an elephant killer's bang!!directed at him....

derwiking
05-28-2011, 9:59 AM
I will tell you from first hand experience unless you are pumped up from adrenaline like others have said, you're going to deafen yourself pretty well. I was effectively deaf for a good 5-6 minutes following plugging a few rounds with a .45 with out hearing protection (I was handed a XD .45 when they first came out that was bought collectively as a retirement gift for some one else for evaluation at a training exercise, and forgot to put my hearing protection on as we were not actively shooting) one time, and I don't suspect that any other caliber would be any better. The ejection port where the concussion/gasses are released from the chamber are pretty close to your ears when firing a hand gun! A good suggestion may be to have some noise cancelling plugs or amplified muffs as some one else suggested nearby to your HD weapon. It might be a wise choice if you want to maintain situational awareness 100%. I wouldn't bother though and let nature take its course and let adrenaline do its job; hopefully you'll never have to discharge a round in anger in your own home. That is the hope.

CessnaDriver
05-28-2011, 10:39 AM
I guess if you have some semblence of mind and enough time, put in some ear plugs. I just put some out near my weapon because of this thread.

MAC USMC
05-28-2011, 7:48 PM
HOLD IT JUST A SECOND! In a desperate, got to shoot scenario indoors the LAST THING to be concerned about is noise level. Trust me on this Pal - you will not even hear the blast(s) your senses will be focused on more critical things. Also, you will not even know how many shots you fired!

Been there and done that bit a while back. Just be prepared and be PROFICIENT with whatever you are armed with at the time.

E. Fudd
05-28-2011, 8:08 PM
Hang a pair of electronic ear muffs by the nightstand. Faster to whip on than ear plugs. Crank them up and it will amplify any noises the BG is making, while protecting your ears from permanent hearing damage... Doesn't have to be expensive ones either...

tacticalcity
05-28-2011, 8:11 PM
It's a bit like asking which race car gets the best mileage. If you're worried about mileage, you are aren't really talking about racing.

The other factor is that caliber is not a general determiner of volume. Other factors ... how hot the cartridge is loaded, how long the barrel, etc. come into play heavily.

In other words ... asking the question based upon caliber alone is senseless.

+1 Amen.

Your ability to put rounds where you want them, in rapid succession, against muliple targets, as fast as possible without "too whom it may concern" rounds wizzing by the bad guy and out the window and down the street to your neighbors house is considerably more important than the other discussion topics we usually see on this issue. Loudness isn't even a consideration for me. If you find the noise is causing you to flinch, the solution is more trigger trigger time. It goes away. If you are worried about your hearing, worry about staying alive first. In the mean time...wear your ears.

ZombieTactics
05-28-2011, 9:29 PM
... If you are worried about your hearing, worry about staying alive first. ...
Better to be a live deaf man than living only long enough to hear your own last breath.

CessnaDriver
05-28-2011, 10:06 PM
Sad it's even a damn concern at all because of the BS Cali laws.
Owning a silencer will make you an instant assassin apparantly.
This state is a freekin' nightmare.

NERVOUS
05-28-2011, 10:08 PM
For what it's worth, subsonic projectiles (i.e. most .45 ACP ammunition) are easier to supress! ;)

dan12580
05-29-2011, 5:14 AM
Thank God I live in america. my concerns are less about my hearing and more about scaring/starteling my kids if somethings going down. If I need to draw my gun I dont want my kids (age 2 & 3) running around. For now ill use my suppressed nighthawk. Until guncrafter industries releases the barrel/suppressor for the 50 gi.

jeep7081
05-29-2011, 3:16 PM
Great topic.

CK_32
05-29-2011, 3:25 PM

:rofl2:

CessnaDriver
05-29-2011, 3:40 PM

It's probably not allowed on the roster.

happy_gunner
05-29-2011, 4:07 PM

been through a few situation like that before with two different weapons every time outdoors. Sorry about being vague but first time I was in an " Oh Sh!!!t" moment, my rifle was .30 cal and had a recoil reducing muzzle break and in the heat of the moment I fired, crap, worst feeling ever. One shot fired and my ears were ringing for the next 6+ hrs, took 2 weeks to return some what normal. Now every time there are loud noise my right ear would ring a little and minor hearing lost. On a side note during that situation, although it was an "Oh Sh!!!t " moment, adrenaline actually was not super high, was actually calm enough to think.
Second time, adrenaline was through the roof, similar weapon no muzzle break still .30 cal, multiple rds fired, no ringing in the ears and I was okay.

In an enclosed area it would be worst in term of the noise but like others have said before, if you are in that kind of situation, noise from your rd should be the last thing on your mind.

1lostinspace
05-29-2011, 4:12 PM
Sure, but it's got no knock down powah! :D

There is such thing as knocked down power. The 9mm is the best choice I can get 5 rounds out compared to 3 with the 45ACP. As far as the stopping power a +P+ 127 Winchester T series round to the middle of the chest would not be nice.

battleship
05-29-2011, 5:19 PM
50 cal is best, after the first shot you wont have a hearing problem for a long time.

pyromensch
05-29-2011, 7:23 PM

this... just like hunting, big game, you don't hear the shot, or feel the recoil, the same, as when you are "just shooting" targets.

pyromensch
05-29-2011, 7:27 PM
Hang a pair of electronic ear muffs by the nightstand. Faster to whip on than ear plugs. Crank them up and it will amplify any noises the BG is making, while protecting your ears from permanent hearing damage... Doesn't have to be expensive ones either...

but if he puts them on sideways, he will look like a koala bear.

Cyc Wid It
05-29-2011, 7:30 PM
http://rat-hunter.com/stories/2007/rat-blowguns/blowgun.jpg

No noise, no flash to give away your location, no safeties to worry about.

05-30-2011, 9:42 AM
There is such thing as knocked down power.

................ ^ :confused:

The 9mm is the best choice for me

Fixt.

I can get 5 rounds out compared to 3 with the 45ACP.

You'll need 'em. :D

As far as the stopping power ...

There is no such thing as stopping power.

a +P+ 127 Winchester T series round to the middle of the chest would not be nice.

Shoot the BG to the ground no matter what caliber or load you're employing.