PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the SW 629

Specter7
05-27-2011, 6:26 PM
I have a buddy sellng two older 44mags. One is a 629-1 in 4in another 629 that is a 6in. Both have had tigger jobs ect... How do these older 44's stack up to the modern S&w's? Do these guns have a problem with accidental discharge since the fireing pin is part of he hammer? Any other thoughts on this issue?

hawk81
05-27-2011, 7:10 PM
The older guns are better IMHO.

S.A.
05-27-2011, 7:30 PM
If you really want a .44 magnum, get the 4".

pyromensch
05-27-2011, 8:04 PM
how old are they, and for those of you that have heard this, close your eyes.
i have had two 629's, one i bought in 85. it had a 6" bbl. after shooting it on a half a dozen outings, i noticed that the front sight, and barrel were canting to the right. i sent it to the S&W repair center, where they straightened it. took it out for some more shooting, again, the same thing. sent it back, got it straightened, and sold it.
bought a new classic hunter 6". figured if i paid more money, might get a better product. WRONG! shot it on several outings, and noticed the same cant, starting to appear. gave it away. POS, in my book. bought a ruger vaquero in 45LC, and handload 44mag specs or better in it. very happy with it.

Specter7
05-27-2011, 9:35 PM
I am leaning towards the 4in. I read the article on how to check these guns out. I believe they are 1980's guns.

how old are they, and for those of you that have heard this, close your eyes.
i have had two 629's, one i bought in 85. it had a 6" bbl. after shooting it on a half a dozen outings, i noticed that the front sight, and barrel were canting to the right. i sent it to the S&W repair center, where they straightened it. took it out for some more shooting, again, the same thing. sent it back, got it straightened, and sold it.
bought a new classic hunter 6". figured if i paid more money, might get a better product. WRONG! shot it on several outings, and noticed the same cant, starting to appear. gave it away. POS, in my book. bought a ruger vaquero in 45LC, and handload 44mag specs or better in it. very happy with it.

SnWnMe
05-27-2011, 9:57 PM
The worst guns in the history of S&W were made during the Bangor Punta and Lear Ziegler eras. IIRC these periods covered late 60s to mid 80s. The Brit owned S&W of the 90s turned quality around.

Older Smiths are better IF they were made prior to BP or LZ IMO. The 629s you are looking at were probably made in the early to mid 80s.

I've had many Bangor Punta guns go through my greedy hands and most of them ended up being sold in frustration of their issues.

trashman
05-27-2011, 10:30 PM
The guns of the Bangor punta era have a reputation that is worse than reality (IMO). Smith turns out a stinker now and again, but some of the nicer smiths I own ( and I own quite a few from different eras) are from the Bangor punta era. And this includes a couple of really nice 27-2's....

Snapping Twig
05-27-2011, 10:38 PM
If I wanted another .44, I'd get one of the ones you're looking at. I'd probably select the 4".

Get it!

BigDogatPlay
05-27-2011, 11:11 PM
The guns of the Bangor punta era have a reputation that is worse than reality (IMO). Smith turns out a stinker now and again, but some of the nicer smiths I own ( and I own quite a few from different eras) are from the Bangor punta era. And this includes a couple of really nice 27-2's....

^^^This^^^... regardless of era, each specimen has to be considered on it's own merit. Yes some of the Bangor Punta era guns were not up to snuff, but the majority (I own a couple from that era and have had others) are just fine. 629-1 would date between 1982 and about 1984, IIRC.

I have a 629-3 three inch that I keep stoked with 200 grain Gold Dot .44 Special. It's an excellent package for personal defense at home or in the woods and a fine shooter. To complement it I have a Ruger Redhawk with a 7.5 inch for hunting. Choice of barrel length will come down to personal preference and use for the gun. If it's a back country carry then the 4 inch is likely optimal. If it's going to be used for hunting, then 6 inch would be better.

5shot
05-27-2011, 11:26 PM
I had a 629-1 series in 6". It was a weak gun compared to the Rugers and Colt. Had to replace the trigger and hammer as the lock work just plain could not take the beating from full power loads.
Also had a 629-5 series that was greatly improved over the -1 series. The internals were changed and beefed up. And you could see that some stress points on the frame were also beefed up.
I'd never buy a 629 or 629-1 series again. But I would be happy with a 629-5 or above series.

Pred@tor
05-28-2011, 12:12 AM
My Dad has one and its a great gun not sure about the 629- I cant look at it t until I go visit him again. His has a hair trigger and its a 6" barrel I think great gun I believe it was made in the 70s.

redcliff
05-28-2011, 12:29 AM
I had a 629-1 series in 6". It was a weak gun compared to the Rugers and Colt. Had to replace the trigger and hammer as the lock work just plain could not take the beating from full power loads.
Also had a 629-5 series that was greatly improved over the -1 series. The internals were changed and beefed up. And you could see that some stress points on the frame were also beefed up.
I'd never buy a 629 or 629-1 series again. But I would be happy with a 629-5 or above series.

I believe the enhanced models started at 629-4, but I could be wrong; I know the -4's have the improved cylinder notches.

Personally I look at model 29's/629's as great .44 special equivalent load guns with the ability to fire heavy 44 magnum loads for bear protection when needed. I personally like the warm 44 special equivalent loads very much (probably my favorite revolver round) and up to the 1200fps magnum loads. Hotter loads I really don't find enjoyable to shoot.

As for barrel length, the 6" versions seem more common and are nice range/hunting guns, but I prefer the 3 and 4 inch versions for carrying.

markm
05-28-2011, 5:37 AM
I believe the enhanced models started at 629-4, but I could be wrong; I know the -4's have the improved cylinder notches.

Personally I look at model 29's/629's as great .44 special equivalent load guns with the ability to fire heavy 44 magnum loads for bear protection when needed. I personally like the warm 44 special equivalent loads very much (probably my favorite revolver round) and up to the 1200fps magnum loads. Hotter loads I really don't find enjoyable to shoot.

As for barrel length, the 6" versions seem more common and are nice range/hunting guns, but I prefer the 3 and 4 inch versions for carrying.

Hello OP,

I tend to agree with redcliff regarding the 29/629 being great guns for the handloader. My 629-6 is a great gun when using 240 grain bullets charged to a velocity of 1000 fps to 1300 fps. The big Rugers are a better choice if you want "full-house" magnums or more. Late model 29/629 guns can handle the punishment from full magnum loads, but the gun is too light to make it comfortable to shoot, and shoot accurately.

With 44 magnum cases, I can charge-up a 1000 fps load that is a fun plinking load that anybody can handle. By switching the HP-38 powder to Unique, I get a mid range round, that is fun to shoot and more than adequate for home defense or Sierra Nevada back country security. For lower 48 grizzly security, I use H-110 and can load the 240 grain projectile up to 1500 fps.
http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

My 629-6 is plenty strong enough for the loads described above.

I have a Bangor Punta gun. It is a model 28 Highway Patrolman. It was sent back to the factory after 25 years. Smith and Wesson completely rebuilt it, at no charge to me.

I prefer the 6" barrel. It has better ballistics (marginally better) and is perfect for back country security and OK for close-in hunting. Also, it is much more enjoyable to shoot than a snubby.

I love my 629-6 with its 6" barrel!! I love Smith and Wessson wheel guns. I have definitely been drinking the cool-aid and I am not ashamed to admit it.

markm

Specter7
05-28-2011, 6:09 AM
I own a SW 500 mag, (AKA, THE RANGE CLEARER) I know punishment.

Interest in a Smith really takes a nosedive beyond 4". The most desirable Smiths are all snub nose, with 3" being the most popular length. Notice the lack of K, L & N snubbies for sale at any used shop. The case is usually full of 5"+ guns. A .44 is a real handful, please put a few cylinders downrange before you commit.

giants_fan24
05-28-2011, 10:14 AM
I bought a 629 classic about 5 years ago with a 5'' barrel and its awesome. I love that gun great balance and dead on at 50yrds+. If I was you I would fire both and see witch one you liked better.

5shot
05-28-2011, 11:11 AM
I really liked the 4" 629-5 I had, and prefer the 4" for carry, and 6" for hunting. If I hadn't have replaced the 4" with a 4" Anaconda, I'd still be perfectly happy with it.
If you can get a good deal on one or both of the ones your friend is selling, I certainly wouldn't pass them up. Just know the limitations of those series. They will handle most .44 mag loads of 1000-1200fps (240 grain). Just don't feed them a steady diet of hot handloads or Buffalo Bore type factory loads.

Andy Taylor
05-28-2011, 11:15 AM
These guns have an improved hammer block safety. This was an improvement of the earlier hammer block. The first of these is about 110 years old. The improved version dates to around WWII. The improved guns are safe to load with all 6 chambers loaded. The earlier ones, well not so much. As stated, the guns in question are fom the late 70's to mid 80's. They are safe to carry fully loaded.

The 629 will have a pinned barrel and recessed chambers. Collectors tend to like these features. In reallity they offer no real benefit to the shooter. The 629-1 will not have these features. I believe the 629-4 is when they incorporated the endurance package. Unless you plan on shooting a lot of heavy magnum loads, it is not needed. If you plan on that, you are better served by a Ruger anyway.

I have a 6.5" 29-2, the blue equivelent to the 629, and a 3" 629-6. They are a joy to shoot with .44 Specials, and can both be loaded with magnums should the need/desire arise. I shoot a few magnums every now and again, just to remind myself why I enjoy the specials so much. :chris:

As to the Bangor-Punta S&W, perhaps they did turn out some lemons during that time. I have quite a few from that era and prior. I have a couple later ones. I find the earlier the gun, the nicer it tends to be, and I would pick a BP era S&W over a later version every time, all else being equal.

Specter7
05-28-2011, 11:49 AM
What do you think is a fair price? He wants $750 firm... Seems high.? Granted they have the non-fluted cylinder, real sweet trigger job, and over sized thumb/cyliner release. I was going to offer like 600-650. I wanted to make sure that's not an insulting offer. I want to be respectfull, but fair. Though he is firm he has been trying to sell for a while. I was actually looking at the s/w 460/454/45 or buying either a 1911 TRP or Kimber custom II so I could buy another slide to house a 460 Rowland. Just have to pull the slide lock pin and can shoot either. Just kickin' it around making up my mind.

pyromensch
05-28-2011, 6:45 PM
What do you think is a fair price? He wants $750 firm... Seems high.? Granted they have the non-fluted cylinder, real sweet trigger job, and over sized thumb/cyliner release. I was going to offer like 600-650. I wanted to make sure that's not an insulting offer. I want to be respectfull, but fair. Though he is firm he has been trying to sell for a while. I was actually looking at the s/w 460/454/45 or buying either a 1911 TRP or Kimber custom II so I could buy another slide to house a 460 Rowland. Just have to pull the slide lock pin and can shoot either. Just kickin' it around making up my mind.

when i bought my classic hunter in 89-90, it was $500, new. give you a base to start, if you are interested.

SnWnMe
05-28-2011, 6:50 PM
Interest in a Smith really takes a nosedive beyond 4". The most desirable Smiths are all snub nose, with 3" being the most popular length. Notice the lack of K, L & N snubbies for sale at any used shop. The case is usually full of 5"+ guns. A .44 is a real handful, please put a few cylinders downrange before you commit.

Sorry but this isn't true. 5" bbl Smiths with no underlug are rare in K, L and N frame sizes (except the 1917). And any S&W accumulator will tell you that a 6.5" model 29 is the 44 mag to have (it's the Dirty Harry bbl).

IMHO most folks are turned off by the 8 3/8" bbl.

jimbos44
05-28-2011, 10:54 PM
I have a 29-4 made in 1989. Non fluted cylinder, factory hogue grips, 8 3/8" full lug barrel, target sights. Bought it NIB in 1998. Fed it nothing but magnum rounds, 1000 or so rounds. Can hit disposible propane cylinders at 100yds. My favorite revolver.

bubbapug1
05-29-2011, 12:48 AM
I had a 629 8". I sold it to buy a desert eagle. I wish I hadn't sold it because it shot nice, and loked even better. I never had an issue with mine and it was an older unit.

that said, I still prefer my Desert Eagles to a revolver. The recoil is so much less its amazing.

Fishslayer
05-29-2011, 10:19 AM
What is the -1 change? Is it the change from P&R?

To me a P&R 629 would be desirable. Other than that 4" generally go for more than 6".

Andy Taylor
05-29-2011, 10:28 AM
What is the -1 change? Is it the change from P&R?

To me a P&R 629 would be desirable. Other than that 4" generally go for more than 6".

On a 629, yes it is the dropping of the pinned barrel and recessed cylinder.

redcliff
05-29-2011, 10:59 AM

I paid $600 recently for my excellent condition 629-4 with the 3" barrel round butt version which is harder to find than 4" models. I felt I paid a fair price (it was on consignment for $700) and I'm happy to own it.

Specter7
05-30-2011, 7:39 AM
I offered him 600. We'll see.

Fishslayer
05-30-2011, 9:49 AM
On a 629, yes it is the dropping of the pinned barrel and recessed cylinder.

So a P&R 6" or a non P&R 4" -1. That's a toughie.

Simple solution is to buy both. Maybe a pacKage deal. :D

hornswaggled
05-30-2011, 12:51 PM
I've had a Model 66 for 20 years. it's the one gun I have that has never given me any trouble. it's still my home defense weapon because there is a 99.999999% chance when I drop the hammer on a factory round it will go bang!

tonelar
05-30-2011, 12:57 PM
Prelock Smiths are the best.

mnguyen84
05-30-2011, 1:00 PM
don't over grip the it or you're hands will hurt.