View Full Version : Quick AR question

12-10-2006, 5:11 PM
I have a Bushmaster fluted AR upper in carbine configuration. I'd like to remove the front sight post/gas block and put a low profile gas block further toward the muzzle to put on a 12 inch rail and make it a mid length system. The question is, can I put the gas block on the fluted barrel? I hope I am making sense...
Thanks for your help.

12-10-2006, 5:31 PM
I don't even know if you can put a gas block on the fluted part of a barrel, I would be amazed if you could.

You would be better off just buying a new barrel the way you want it. You would spend more money making this one the way you want than just getting a new one.

12-10-2006, 6:18 PM
Thanks for the quick ones guys.;)

12-10-2006, 10:48 PM
According to your post, looks like you wanna make a carbine-length-gas-system barrel become a mid-length-gas-system barrel. It's possible but not worth it. You will need to solder the original gas port hole and drill a new one. Furthermore, IF you do drill a new gas port hole, the hole would be located at the fluted protion. It would be impossible to install a gas block on the fluted portion.

My suggestion is, buy a new barrel with mid-length-gas-system. It will make your life easier.

12-11-2006, 12:10 AM
yep talk to randal @ ar15barrels.com nice work prety reasonably priced..turnaround time is hit and miss