PDA

View Full Version : trijicon RMR, EOtech EXPS 2-0, Aimpoint T-1

sirgiles
05-27-2011, 4:30 PM
dear fellow calgunners,
i would like to hear your experience/opinion with these sighting tools.
my 1st priority is, i would like to have one that can quickly acquire a target that is within 50 yards but at the same time, i won't have a difficult time hitting a 4 inch round metal target at 100 yards.
my second priority is i need something hardy. sometimes, i transfer my sighting tool from my AR on to my shotgun (which has a rail) when i use slugs to shoot targets out to 100 yards.
it does not have to be co-witnessed with the BUIS.
thanks in advance.

AlliedArmory
05-27-2011, 4:46 PM
I am a big fan of the Micro Aimpoints (T-1 or H-1)

JJ1911
05-27-2011, 5:00 PM
Aimpoint and you won't regret it. I have eotech and aimpoint and I prefer the aimpoint hands down. I would see if you can try them out and see which you like. It'll be pretty apparent which one you prefer after awhile.

kozumasbullitt
05-27-2011, 5:08 PM
For an AR I like the Eotech best but the RMR would be my choice for a handgun or back up optic due to it's size and weight.

Dhena81
05-27-2011, 5:13 PM
I voted for the Aimpoint nothing is tougher IMO and it has the longest battery life of the listed options. If you don't want to buy two sights or transfer one sight to two mounts you might have to compromise on both depending on your preferences and go with an absolute co-witness mount.

For example for me personally I would go with a low mount for the shotgun and a tall mount for a lower 1/3 co-witness on my AR but as always YMMV. With the Eotech you won't have to worry about a mount it comes absolute CW and will end up being the cheapest of the bunch and is still a great sight just not my cup of tea I sold mine.

sirgiles
05-27-2011, 5:22 PM
I am a big fan of the Micro Aimpoints (T-1 or H-1)

please indicate why.

dieselpower
05-27-2011, 5:31 PM
none

C-More Aluminum model.
Railway to swap between guns, swappable diode sizes from 2MOA to 16MOA (MOA = 1.05 inches at 100 yards) so a 4MOA dot covers 4" at 100 yards and 16" at 400 yards....) So you pop in a 2-8 MOA diode for the AR and a 4-16MOA dot for the shotgun.

On an AR15 you get the ATAC with is a railway mounted on a Mil-spec Carry handle chopped to house the optic inside. It has a small spacer to allow a 1/3 co-witness. That is removable for those wanting a 100% co-witness.

Its not as rigged as a T-1, just as rugged as an M2 or M3, way more rugged than an EOTech which has sensitive electronics.

I use a 4MOA, my buddy just got a 8MOA. I like his 8MOA. Clear bright, easy to see & 8MOA is nipple to nipple on an average sized man as seen at 100 yards. So the red dot is the entire vital area and the MOA of the average shooter free hand, no rest.

For those who don't like the tubed RDS or the EOTech, the C-more is the way to go. NOT the plastic ones which are for range and weight savings over rugged abuse.

I have dropped my rifle many many many times. On rock, dirt concrete, and a garage floor. I have let the rifle slam into boulders while on my sling, slammed it in a door, and accidental kicked my C-More across the garage floor after dropping it while trying to pick it up and run at the same time. Its has never cracked or lost zero.

I go from a 25M zero to a 50meter zero with great pain. This is the major flaw of the C-More. You need to sight in your rifle using your BUIS and then adjust the dot to sit on top of your BUIS at your zero. Attempting to zero the optic as you would a sniper scope or even an Aimpoint is fruitless and takes hours. Its a CQB optic, which is why the 25 meter /yard zero is best for it.

I love my C-More
YMMV

cmace22
05-27-2011, 5:33 PM
I would prefer the Aimpoint over EOtech if it wasnt for the reticle.

Make sure what ever it is you decide on you check it out in person first. My eye and several others see the dot as a smudge or birthmark looking thing instead of an actual dot.

I dint not however have this issue with my EOtech.

I love the battery life, reputation and toughness of Aimpoints but I shot 3x better with my EOtech.

It woudnt stop me from buying an Aimpoint again but it was the main reason I sold my T-1

My EOtech had died on me two times after shooting. I must have left it on or something. Its really frustrating to get to the range and your dot isnt working athough I understand it was user error. My T-1 was on for 3 YEARS straight.....

If EOtech found a way to get 75% of the battery life of Aimpoints, it would be IMO the perfect red dot.

seronian
05-27-2011, 5:43 PM
Aimpoint gets my vote.

sirgiles
05-27-2011, 5:49 PM
none

C-More Aluminum model.
Railway to swap between guns, swappable diode sizes from 2MOA to 16MOA (MOA = 1.05 inches at 100 yards) so a 4MOA dot covers 4" at 100 yards and 16" at 400 yards....) So you pop in a 2-8 MOA diode for the AR and a 4-16MOA dot for the shotgun.

On an AR15 you get the ATAC with is a railway mounted on a Mil-spec Carry handle chopped to house the optic inside. It has a small spacer to allow a 1/3 co-witness. That is removable for those wanting a 100% co-witness.

Its not as rigged as a T-1, just as rugged as an M2 or M3, way more rugged than an EOTech which has sensitive electronics.

I use a 4MOA, my buddy just got a 8MOA. I like his 8MOA. Clear bright, easy to see & 8MOA is nipple to nipple on an average sized man as seen at 100 yards. So the red dot is the entire vital area and the MOA of the average shooter free hand, no rest.

For those who don't like the tubed RDS or the EOTech, the C-more is the way to go. NOT the plastic ones which are for range and weight savings over rugged abuse.

I have dropped my rifle many many many times. On rock, dirt concrete, and a garage floor. I have let the rifle slam into boulders while on my sling, slammed it in a door, and accidental kicked my C-More across the garage floor after dropping it while trying to pick it up and run at the same time. Its has never cracked or lost zero.

I go from a 25M zero to a 50meter zero with great pain. This is the major flaw of the C-More. You need to sight in your rifle using your BUIS and then adjust the dot to sit on top of your BUIS at your zero. Attempting to zero the optic as you would a sniper scope or even an Aimpoint is fruitless and takes hours. Its a CQB optic, which is why the 25 meter /yard zero is best for it.

I love my C-More
YMMV

never considered this. i'll look into it. thanks.

HK Dave
05-27-2011, 5:52 PM
I like them all! :D

I prefer the Eotech Reticle... but certainly love my T1s bomb proofness. You can really beat the crap out of it and it'll keep on working. I'm happy with both and would use both in any situation.

For a 3 gun setup, I'd probably get the RMR.

Battery time is a non issue for me btw. For some it's important.

brushfire21
05-27-2011, 5:54 PM
My preference is the OPMOD XPS series. 1-moa reticule but large circle for close in work, side buttons, auto off feature, fairly compact, quick attach mount included (at least in mine) and priced ok if you check around.

sirgiles
05-27-2011, 6:12 PM
My preference is the OPMOD XPS series. 1-moa reticule but large circle for close in work, side buttons, auto off feature, fairly compact, quick attach mount included (at least in mine) and priced ok if you check around.
im considering this. there is a group buy about to end in the commercial section.

sirgiles
05-27-2011, 6:13 PM
I like them all! :D

I prefer the Eotech Reticle... but certainly love my T1s bomb proofness. You can really beat the crap out of it and it'll keep on working. I'm happy with both and would use both in any situation.

For a 3 gun setup, I'd probably get the RMR.

Battery time is a non issue for me btw. For some it's important.

how close/far are your targets?

Wnick308
05-27-2011, 7:23 PM
T-1's are great and just about indestructible.

762.DEFENSE
05-27-2011, 7:32 PM
For an AR I like the Eotech best but the RMR would be my choice for a handgun or back up optic due to it's size and weight.

I'm the same, but my close second has to be the Aimpoint.

IPSICK
05-27-2011, 7:43 PM
Another choice:

MEPRO 21 (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=514858)

MrPlink
05-27-2011, 7:47 PM
I like Aimpoint for the battery life and ruggedness, I like eotech for the reticle.
If only I could have both..

HK35
05-27-2011, 7:53 PM
T-1's are great and just about indestructible.Yup, watch video below (gives you a good idea of how rugged Aimpoints are):

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xfojMy1MWok&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xfojMy1MWok&rel=0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

rattlesnake_nm
05-27-2011, 8:36 PM
I have an eotech xps and aimpoint pro. I prefer the eotech, but like the aimpoint as well. It could be because I have been using the eotech for years. The difference imo is the aimpoint makes the view somewhat tubular on one eye, and the eotech seems to have no blind spots whatsoever. I have figured out pushing the aimpoint as far as You can on the receiver helps eliminate the tube effect. It really boils down to personal preference.

rattlesnake_nm
05-27-2011, 8:37 PM
Yup, watch video below (gives you a good idea of how rugger Aimpoints are):

No kidding, when I seen the vid I thought ,**** the rifle, that was an aimpoint torture test.

Rebellious
05-27-2011, 9:48 PM
I like the Aimpoint for its ruggedness and outstanding battery life. I like the EoTech for its ruggedness and quick target acquisition due to its larger window and reticle. I like the Trijicon RMR for its size/weight and modularity. Cheers

tomd1584
05-28-2011, 9:57 AM
I have two model Aimpoints, so my vote goes for the Micro. ruggedness, simplicity & battery life are the reasons i chose it over the Eotech.

Some people say that the Eotechs have a bigger FOV, but if you shoot the aimpoint like you're supposed to with both eyes open, its a moot point.

Choose whatever fits your needs & price point best. You can always find used ones in the EE for good prices.

snypr
07-07-2011, 10:21 AM
I just purchased an RMR for my AK and a comp m3 for my AR....ill post up when i receive them....

AR-Tuma
07-07-2011, 10:26 AM
I run the EXPS 2-2 on my "go to" rifle. Love the reticle and larger field of view which makes target aqusition alot faster for me as compaired to the other two options in this poll. Especially speeds it up when doing transitions to the off shoulder for me.

giants_fan24
07-07-2011, 10:39 AM
I have the same question, I want to build an AR pistol and don't know witch one to go with. This is a good thread I like hearing all the pro's and con's of them all.

tomd1584
07-07-2011, 11:48 AM
I have owned and used the Eotech and Aimpoints. Can't give any feedback on the Trijicon though, sorry.

I don't understand the "tunnel vision" issues some people claim with the aimpoint; If you shoot two eyes open focusing on the target rather than the dot, the housings tend to just dissapear.

IMO, it doesn't get much simpler than a 2/3.5 (micro)/4 MOA dot that the Aimpoints have. Simply point and shoot.

i think Eotech has made great strides incorporating the CR123 battery, but the Aimpoints still get the nod in terms of battery life. Considering that you'll get 5 years battery life on setting 8/10 for the Micro, and the fact that most places sell batteries in packs of two, I think you'll be set.

The DD torture test someone posted earlier is a pretty good indication of the ruggedness of AP's. I saw another video somewhere where Pat Rogers takes off his AP M4, throws it 25 yards onto the dirt/rock ground, picks it up & remount it and it has NO loss of zero; Not much else to say about that.

I've sold off my H1 and XPS, and now own the Aimpoint M4. It's bigger & heavier than the Micro's, but it just 'feels' better. Add the AA battery which you can find almost anywhere, and a battery life of 8 years on setting 12 of 16, you're pretty much set for the better part of a decade.

Tom

xxINKxx
07-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Either the eotech or aimpoint t1.

I'm rocking the eotech xps3.0 (same but had NV) simply amazing and no complaints I can find. I also have a vortex sparc (knock off of a aimpoint t1) and it's bad a** as well, but I wouldn't trust my life to it if i needed to use it if civilization came to a point I had to head for the hills with it since it's not as high quality and made in china.

jokat989
07-07-2011, 12:53 PM
iorn sights- my batery life is unlimited and accuracy is better than any red dot

mocos
07-07-2011, 7:13 PM
I think the Trijicon rmr types..Burris fastfires...Leupold delta points, Insight mrds and the like are the next wave. They may not be aimpoint rugged and have super battery life but they have the advantage of light weight and for close distances are hard to beat. I'm running one (burris)on a socom 16 and and it's holding up quite well so far. Also had it out to 200 yrds on 10 x 15 steels well enough to double tap and not hear the first impact because of the second round going off.... If it continues to perform they way it does now..it may replace the eotechs I have... fast and accurate is primary...battery life and ruggeness are secondary.