PDA

View Full Version : Differences Between Registration & DROS

BoonieGhost
05-27-2011, 12:29 PM
Hello All,

This has been boggling my mind for a long time now and in all my research, I still cannot find a definite answer. What is the TRUE differences between a Registered firearm and a Dealer Record of Sales (DROS'd) Firearm?

I know im not the only one out there that has at lease some level of paranoia when it comes to registration/DROS and i KNOW im not the only that thinks about the possibility of future confiscation of firearms for whatever reason.

I think I understand Registration and what its all about, but what is to stop "them" from tracking you with DROS'd firearms if a confiscation were to happen one day? Im not trying to be one of those paranoid people, I'd just like to know.

thanX,
-BG

feel free to flame away...

Librarian
05-27-2011, 1:01 PM
Hello All,

This has been boggling my mind for a long time now and in all my research, I still cannot find a definite answer. What is the TRUE differences between a Registered firearm and a Dealer Record of Sales (DROS'd) Firearm?

I know im not the only one out there that has at lease some level of paranoia when it comes to registration/DROS and i KNOW im not the only that thinks about the possibility of future confiscation of firearms for whatever reason.

I think I understand Registration and what its all about, but what is to stop "them" from tracking you with DROS'd firearms if a confiscation were to happen one day? Im not trying to be one of those paranoid people, I'd just like to know.

thanX,
-BG

feel free to flame away...

No flames necessary.

1) Long guns run through DROS are not 'registered' - no more information than 'long gun' is sent to the state.

2) Handguns run through DROS are 'registered' - make, model, caliber information is associated with your name and other identifying information.

Not all handguns are registered and there is no requirement that they BE registered.

See the wiki article - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Firearms_registration

The state knows quite a lot about many guns in CA, but the database is known to be incomplete and imperfect. Restraints on the use of that information are no different today than they were 20 years ago.

Untamed1972
05-27-2011, 1:26 PM
No flames necessary.

1) Long guns run through DROS are not 'registered' - no more information than 'long gun' is sent to the state.

2) Handguns run through DROS are 'registered' - make, model, caliber information is associated with your name and other identifying information.

Not all handguns are registered and there is no requirement that they BE registered.

See the wiki article - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Firearms_registration

The state knows quite a lot about many guns in CA, but the database is known to be incomplete and imperfect. Restraints on the use of that information are no different today than they were 20 years ago.

Also isnt record of your background check with CADOJ for a long-gun purchase supposed to be destroyed after like 15days? So 15 days after your background check is complete any record of your purchasing a long-gun, as far as info retained by the state, is destroyed. There would still be a record kept by the FFL however.

BoonieGhost
05-27-2011, 1:26 PM
No flames necessary.

Ok, thats a start, but it still doesn't answer my question... How easy is it for "them" to track DROS'd guns for a mass confiscation if that were to ever happen?

dantodd
05-27-2011, 1:32 PM
Ok, thats a start, but it still doesn't answer my question... How easy is it for "them" to track DROS'd guns for a mass confiscation if that were to ever happen?

Pretty difficult. "They" would have to confiscate all the bound books at each gun store/FFL. Assuming "they" tried I suspect many FFLs would start destroying/losing their paperwork. Even if that were to happen the paperwork at the dealer doesn't get updated if/when you move so they'd have to run your DL and get an updated address from DMV. Basically, it is possible but very difficult to successfully do. Further, there is a constitutional amendment that makes this exceedingly unlikely.

There are more than enough abuses of power and infringements on our 2A rights already. No need to go making up straw men that are incredibly unlikely to be done successfully.