PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Airlines and checked in guns?

zushikikato
05-27-2011, 11:30 AM
I am planning on going to Maine for vacation next week and I really want to take my rifle with me. I read a few stories of some handguns being stolen etc etc.
I want to know if anyone here had flown with airlines and had their guns missing? Or flown countless time and not had a problem?

I plan on putting it in a pelican 1700
http://www.opticsplanet.net/pelican-1700-watertight-protector-rifle-cases-w-wheels.html

Knife Edge
05-27-2011, 11:34 AM
No issues, ever. All ammo and guns or ammo or guns must be declared at the actual ticket counter. Items will be inspected, no loose ammo, guns locked and off you go. Easy. Get a home owners or rental policy, individual airlines have different liabiliy limitations.

NorCalAthlete
05-27-2011, 11:52 AM
DEFINITELY get a home owner's or rental insurance policy. It's easier than you think to load several thousand dollars worth of firearms into a single case or two at the airport. Also, don't worry about crappy TSA locks. I put a solid Masterlock on mine and opened it at the counter to show them what was in the case, then relocked it with a little notecard inside that they give you and they checked it in for me, no problems. I had mine in a Pelican 1750 case. It got a little dinged up but the case protected the guns. Also, take PICTURES and record the serial numbers of whatever you put in there. At the ticket counter if you want to. And I had them slap a "Fragile" sticker on it too, they weren't going to but they might if you ask them to. Just act nonchalant and you won't have any issues.

Donnovin
05-27-2011, 2:58 PM
I have had good experiences. It seems that a while ago, when they put a special tag on the outside, more stuff got stolen. Now the process is different. The insurance is always a good idea.

I recommend that you check with the airline you will be using. Ask about their specific process and conditions. Sometimes it is printed on their website, but it is always good to double check by calling.

The case has to be sturdy and has to lock in such a way that it can not be partially pried open. Use your own locks that keep it tightly locked, again so it can't be partially pried open.

The airline can not make you use TSA locks on firearms cases. That's why they come out and inspect at the ticket counter.

Airlines have specific conditions regarding how much ammunition can be carried and how it is carried in the gun case, again, check with your airline.

Put your locked gun case inside a duffel bag so it does not attract undue attention. I presume that some people target gun cases.

Take your case, locked and in the duffel, to the ticket counter. Indicate that you have a firearm to declare. Someone will come to inspect the contents. You unlock, they inspect. Having a chamber flag in place is helpful so they know it is unloaded. They give you an inspection card that goes in the case. Then you lock it, put it back in the duffel, and away it goes.

At the other end, you pick it up just like other checked baggage. Presuming they haven't lost it.

Last time I did this, I shipped ammo via UPS to my final destination, and checked the firearms on the plane. Southwest Airlines didn't bat an eye. Everything was good to go.

I have heard that some ticket agents don't know the process, so calling ahead to make sure you know what is supposed to happen puts you in a better position.

Good luck!

Gryff
05-27-2011, 4:10 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=427901

Knife Edge
05-27-2011, 4:25 PM
I have had good experiences. It seems that a while ago, when they put a special tag on the outside, more stuff got stolen. Now the process is different. The insurance is always a good idea.

I recommend that you check with the airline you will be using. Ask about their specific process and conditions. Sometimes it is printed on their website, but it is always good to double check by calling.

The case has to be sturdy and has to lock in such a way that it can not be partially pried open. Use your own locks that keep it tightly locked, again so it can't be partially pried open.

The airline can not make you use TSA locks on firearms cases. That's why they come out and inspect at the ticket counter.

Airlines have specific conditions regarding how much ammunition can be carried and how it is carried in the gun case, again, check with your airline.

Put your locked gun case inside a duffel bag so it does not attract undue attention. I presume that some people target gun cases.

Take your case, locked and in the duffel, to the ticket counter. Indicate that you have a firearm to declare. Someone will come to inspect the contents. You unlock, they inspect. Having a chamber flag in place is helpful so they know it is unloaded. They give you an inspection card that goes in the case. Then you lock it, put it back in the duffel, and away it goes.

At the other end, you pick it up just like other checked baggage. Presuming they haven't lost it.

Last time I did this, I shipped ammo via UPS to my final destination, and checked the firearms on the plane. Southwest Airlines didn't bat an eye. Everything was good to go.

I have heard that some ticket agents don't know the process, so calling ahead to make sure you know what is supposed to happen puts you in a better position.

Good luck!

11 lbs or 5.5 kg max of class 1.4s per pax (or bag can't remember) on pax aircraft. Limited to .50 cal and under, no AP or incendiary. No loose bulk.

paul0660
05-27-2011, 4:31 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=427901

Yes. Read this. Short course is, get there early, non TSA lock on the gun case, TSA lock on the rest.

rareair
05-27-2011, 7:11 PM
Put your locked gun case inside a duffel bag so it does not attract undue attention......

Take your case, locked and in the duffel, to the ticket counter. Indicate that you have a firearm to declare. Someone will come to inspect the contents. You unlock, they inspect. Having a chamber flag in place is helpful so they know it is unloaded. They give you an inspection card that goes in the case. Then you lock it, put it back in the duffel, and away it goes.....

Good goly, how large of a duffel bag do you have that fits a Pelican 1700-1750 case?