PDA

View Full Version : Stock pinning

jumbopanda
12-10-2006, 11:14 AM
In order for a folding or collapsible stock to count as a fixed one, does it need to be permanently modified, or just held open with a pin or screw?

JHC
12-10-2006, 11:52 AM
I'm not sure if California has ever made it clear what is required but during the Fed ban Tapco was selling their folding stocks with a bushing installed that prevented their folding, all it took was removal of an e-clip to change it.

When I first put my underfolder together I put a spacer in the button to prevent it from being depressed which would require a tear-down to remove and felt it was adequate, I have since gone bolt-action so I can fold it. I doubt anyone would question the stock being fixed if it was welded so that would be the safest way

hoffmang
12-10-2006, 3:20 PM
As there are adjustable stocks out there, you should be reasonably safe with a modification that requires a tool to change the length of the stock. However note that there is no black and white answer available here.

-Gene

JPglee1
12-10-2006, 3:26 PM
I ran lock bolts thru the paddle on my old CAR stock on my so you have to take 2 nuts off in order to depress the paddle. I like it in the middle position. Now I run a fixed mag setup instead and Ive got a regular M4 6 position instead.

Ill post a pic eventually

J

Chaingun
12-11-2006, 12:33 PM
With a 3 position stock I used a rivet or two. I like it full length

zippy
12-22-2006, 9:21 PM
JHC stated:
"When I first put my underfolder together I put a spacer in the button to prevent it from being depressed which would require a tear-down to remove and felt it was adequate, I have since gone bolt-action so I can fold it."

Assuming the underfolder is an AK, would there be an issue with the OAL being less than 26" whan the weapon is folded?

An AK underfolder measured about 25.25" with the muzzle brake off, folded.

From section 12020
(2) As used in this section, a "short-barreled rifle" means any of
the following:
(A) A rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in
length.
(B) A rifle with an overall length of less than 26 inches.
(C) Any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration,
modification, or otherwise) if that weapon, as modified, has an
overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less
than 16 inches in length.

bobfried
12-22-2006, 10:04 PM
It's actually 30" for rifles in the state of CA.

leelaw
12-22-2006, 10:06 PM
It's actually 30" for rifles in the state of CA.

Correct. SBR is 26", assault weapon is centerfire semiauto under 30".

jumbopanda
12-22-2006, 10:07 PM
JHC stated:
"When I first put my underfolder together I put a spacer in the button to prevent it from being depressed which would require a tear-down to remove and felt it was adequate, I have since gone bolt-action so I can fold it."

Assuming the underfolder is an AK, would there be an issue with the OAL being less than 26" whan the weapon is folded?

An AK underfolder measured about 25.25" with the muzzle brake off, folded.

From section 12020
(2) As used in this section, a "short-barreled rifle" means any of
the following:
(A) A rifle having a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in
length.
(B) A rifle with an overall length of less than 26 inches.
(C) Any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration,
modification, or otherwise) if that weapon, as modified, has an
overall length of less than 26 inches or a barrel or barrels of less
than 16 inches in length.

Thanks for that, I had no idea. But I'm still gonna build a Yugo .223 underfolder because those have barrels that are about 1.5" longer than a regular AK.