View Full Version : Would like to borrow AK Headspace Go/No-Go gauges

12-10-2006, 6:09 AM

I need to check the headspace on a newly assembled AK in 7.62X39. I'd prefer not blowing $70+ on two guages and shipping just to use them once, exclaim "yup, that works" then throw them in a drawer forever.

I'm hoping with all the locals on the board, I can find someone in the San Jose/South bay area that will let me borrow their guages for this quick test. Don't even need to take them out of your sight, I can bring the stripped gun to the gauges.

Alternately, are there any gunsmiths in the area that would do the check without charging an arm and a leg, coupled with a 2 week wait-list before he could take a look at it?

12-10-2006, 12:46 PM
I have a no-go gauge comin in the mail on tuesday which you could use, but I'm in south city. Honestly I don't think I need a go gauge, if it chambers a factory round what's the point?

12-10-2006, 1:56 PM
Whats the old saying?,...Better face than sorry.,... if you have a virgin barrel or a frankenstein kit you have to check the headspace, but If it's a matching #s kit with the original barrel and bolt then the headspace should be fine since it was a service rifle before being demilled. Either way I feel safer strapping the gun down and pulling the trigger with a string from 10 ft away the first time.

12-10-2006, 6:31 PM
I check headspace with a live round and NOGO gauge. Remove the hammer and strip down the bolt.

You can borrow the NOGO if you want send me a PM on shipping