PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun barrel inserts

mistaboards
12-09-2006, 9:09 PM
Hi, I recently recieved an old shotgun from my grandfather. The barrels are old and pitted. I have heard that there are some companies that install a 20 guage barrel into the origional 12. Anyone done that before? What are the companys' names? How much did it run you? Thanks

naimad
12-09-2006, 9:35 PM
what kind of shotgun pump semi auto side by side over&under

-hanko
12-09-2006, 10:30 PM
Hi, I recently recieved an old shotgun from my grandfather. The barrels are old and pitted. I have heard that there are some companies that install a 20 guage barrel into the origional 12. Anyone done that before? What are the companys' names? How much did it run you? Thanks
If the gun is broken open for loading, an insert will work. Try Briley in Houston. I'd have the gun checked by a local smith before I decided to spend money for insert(s). Worst case, you've got an heirloom from your granddad.;)

Fjold
12-10-2006, 8:40 AM

Since you say barrels (plural) I'm assuming that you have a double barrel and since it was your grandfather's I'm guessing it's a side-by-side. There are alot of people that make inserts for sale. (Google shotgun inserts). You will need to have the exact maker amd model number available when you talk to them because of the different design of all of extractors and ejectors that are out there.

mistaboards
12-10-2006, 10:01 AM
Thanks, yes it is a side by side. I had it checked out by a gunsmith and he says that inserts would be a good way to go. He mentioned Briley as one place to get them done. He also guessed that it would cost about $450. I was hoping that someone else knows of a company that can do it for less. Oh, the gun is an L. C. Smith that was made in 1901 to about 1904 or so. Thanks for any comments or advice.

naimad
12-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Thanks, yes it is a side by side. I had it checked out by a gunsmith and he says that inserts would be a good way to go. He mentioned Briley as one place to get them done. He also guessed that it would cost about $450. I was hoping that someone else knows of a company that can do it for less. Oh, the gun is an L. C. Smith that was made in 1901 to about 1904 or so. Thanks for any comments or advice.

you might want to get this shot gun appraised there are collectors of these shot guns out there you might want to just put it away a good place to get info on this gun go to www.lcsmith.org

maxicon
12-10-2006, 11:53 AM
I'd go to www.shotgunworld.com and search on things like "barrel inserts", chambermates, sidekicks, "full length fitted tubes", shorties, etc. Lots of info over there on the pros and cons.

You'll really want to decide if it's worth the cost to get something nice like Briley's, of course.

I've read up on pistol and rifle caliber inserts for shotguns, like the ones at http://stores.ebay.com/Internet-Gun-Show and www.mcace.com, and the main complaints are that the extractor/ejector works on the insert, not the shell, and the shells are sometimes difficult to remove from the insert. POI shifts are common with these too.