PDA

View Full Version : which sks can have a detach mag?

motogunner356
05-26-2011, 12:54 PM
im picking up an sks and i want to know which model will be legal for use with a detachable magazine. what needs to be modified to be legal. thanks

Reductio
05-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Technically the ones not marked "SKS," eg. the Yugo's.

In reality though, detachable mags suck hairy ones with SKS's, stick with the stock one, never had a problem with them.

morrcarr67
05-26-2011, 1:32 PM

In reality though, detachable mags suck hairy ones with SKS's, stick with the stock one, never had a problem with them.

:iagree:

Stock 10 round magazines for these rifles.

darkest2000
05-26-2011, 1:36 PM
Yeup, keep the original 10rd internal magazine, those work the best.

Sumo99
05-26-2011, 2:02 PM
and stripper clips are a whole lot cheaper than mags.

morrcarr67
05-26-2011, 4:27 PM
and stripper clips are a whole lot cheaper than mags.

Yes they are. These are only .30 cents from J&G Sales

http://www.jgsales.com/product_thumb.php?img=images/1%20SKS%20STRIPPER%20CLIPS%20(4-95).jpg&w=135&h=98 (http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/p/sks-stripper-clips%2C-steel%2C-excellent-condition-/products_id/399)

Sumo99
05-26-2011, 4:52 PM
If you must have a detachable mag, then you might as well just get one of these: http://www.riflegear.com/p-803-saiga-rifle-762x39.aspx

Lead Waster
05-26-2011, 5:03 PM
Yeah, I think stripper clips are faster than a modified SKS that takes detachable mags, plus you can "top off", if you want to.

Sadly, the ranges around here only let you load your SKS with TWO rounds...for fear of slamfires, even if you put in a new modified anti-slamfire firing pin.

AJD
05-26-2011, 5:06 PM
I've heard the Tapco SKS mags function pretty well. I'm not sure if you can still use stripper clips with them though.

supertrooper
05-26-2011, 5:30 PM
Sadly, the ranges around here only let you load your SKS with TWO rounds...for fear of slamfires, even if you put in a new modified anti-slamfire firing pin.

wtf, what range was that so i know not to go there.

stripper clips are way faster than changing mags with a bullet button. even with a yugo and a detatchable mags you would be in handcuffs while you try to explan to the cops that its not a sks.

derwiking
05-26-2011, 7:12 PM
If you must have a detachable mag, then you might as well just get one of these: http://www.riflegear.com/p-803-saiga-rifle-762x39.aspx

+1

Saiga... :drool5:

desertjosh
07-15-2011, 12:14 PM
I have a yugo sks with the tapco t6 and tapco 20 round mags. The mags are FLAWLESS (for me). Over 1000 rounds thru them and not a hiccup. I absolutely love this gun its a pleasure to shoot. Just my .02...

Librarian
07-15-2011, 12:17 PM
wtf, what range was that so i know not to go there.

Chabot in Castroville/NorCal, for one.

CSACANNONEER
07-15-2011, 12:26 PM
I'd trade one of my old SKS rebuild kits for a oem fixed mag anyday. Duckbill SKS mags just suck. So, if the OP gets a SKS type rifle and doesn't want his oem mag, let me know.

Quiet
07-15-2011, 6:29 PM
I have a yugo sks with the tapco t6 and tapco 20 round mags. The mags are FLAWLESS (for me). Over 1000 rounds thru them and not a hiccup. I absolutely love this gun its a pleasure to shoot. Just my .02...

I hope you are not in CA.

mike_the_wino
07-15-2011, 7:17 PM
Chabot in Castroville/NorCal, for one.
That is BS. I got the stink eye 10 years ago at Rancho Cordova when I pulled out my SKS. RO looked, and sounded, like ex-military drill sargent. Started giving me crap about my SKS and how they slam fire. Don't know if was the long hair or the fact that some dude had shot his buddy with an out of control slamfire a month or two before but he was on my ***. I politely told him that my gun did not slamfire.

He made me load one round, fire, load 2 rounds, fire single shot on his command, full 10 rounds but again only firing on his command. After that, it was all good. Chatted with him later and he was a really cool guy but no-nonsense about his range.

Can't believe this is still an issue. Are the newest imports having problems with slamfires? Previously the only slamfire issues I heard of came about because people put the firing pin in backwards.

dmax11
07-15-2011, 7:51 PM
That is BS. I got the stink eye 10 years ago at Rancho Cordova when I pulled out my SKS. RO looked, and sounded, like ex-military drill sargent. Started giving me crap about my SKS and how they slam fire. Don't know if was the long hair or the fact that some dude had shot his buddy with an out of control slamfire a month or two before but he was on my ***. I politely told him that my gun did not slamfire.

He made me load one round, fire, load 2 rounds, fire single shot on his command, full 10 rounds but again only firing on his command. After that, it was all good. Chatted with him later and he was a really cool guy but no-nonsense about his range.

Can't believe this is still an issue. Are the newest imports having problems with slamfires? Previously the only slamfire issues I heard of came about because people put the firing pin in backwards.

he is unfortunately correct, as an owner of a Yugo SKS i can confirm that Chabot does not allow you to load more than 2 rounds into an SKS on their range. they even have signs posted and it posted on their webpage. the good news is other ranges in the bay do not have this rule and this made me discover the metcalf range in south san jose. just as good of a range but not as busy but the downside is they make you clean up your shells but its their range so i do what they want :)

I think the reason for the rule at chabot is because of big 5 selling SKS's completely caked in cosmoline, it does not take much cosmo in the bolt of a SKS to cause the firing pin to stick forward and combine with people buying boxer primed us 7.62x39 from stores like B5 and walmart you will end up with slam fires or doubles and triples. as a result of this they have probably experienced it more than a few times there and have decided the safe course of action due to peoples in ability to research their firearms was to ban loading of more than 2 round into them. having looked into the problem and its solutions thoroughly i can see why they would do it and don't hold it against them it is a good range.

i did my homework and soaked my bolt as well as other metal parts in mineral spirits and even took the bolt a step further an boiled it and so far 200+ rounds through mine with zero slam fires with the original firing pin. my SKS was unissued though so there was little to no chance of having any burrs or random stuff in the FP channel that could stick it forward and i only use Russian made ammo in my SKS so the primers are not easily set off

SJgunguy24
07-15-2011, 11:36 PM
I had one of my 59/66 Yugo's get the pin stuck once at metcalf. Yep 7 rounds of FA fun.....NOT. We tore it down and got the problem sorted out.

The best way to run reliable detachable mags in the Yugo is to do the AK mag conversion. It's very involved and a mill is needed to do it correctly.

As for Johnny Law having an issue, well if he "thinks" it's illegal then he is entitled to his opinion. Now prove it's illegal and I'll prove you wrong. Sometimes the bully needs to be punched in the nose.

dmax11
07-16-2011, 12:28 AM
I had one of my 59/66 Yugo's get the pin stuck once at metcalf. Yep 7 rounds of FA fun.....NOT. We tore it down and got the problem sorted out.

The best way to run reliable detachable mags in the Yugo is to do the AK mag conversion. It's very involved and a mill is needed to do it correctly.

As for Johnny Law having an issue, well if he "thinks" it's illegal then he is entitled to his opinion. Now prove it's illegal and I'll prove you wrong. Sometimes the bully needs to be punched in the nose.

you are correct legally the Zastava M59/66 (aka Yugo SKS) is not technically an SKS and therefore is not on the CA AW ban roster in any way shape or form. its pretty much the same thing as an OLL AR-15.

the ones on the roster that are banned with detachable mags are the norinco SKS's china produced that were made from the factory to accept AK mags. to further confuse things "SKS with detachable magazine" is also listed. the difference however is afaik all SKS patterns made besides the Yugo's are labeled SKS's by their makes or importers where as the Yugo's are M59,M59/66,M59/66A1, or M59/66A2's depending on the time period they were made. my century Yugo says model M59/66A1 and that is exactly what it is :)

gun toting monkeyboy
07-16-2011, 7:55 AM
So detachable magazines are kosher on the Yugo version of the SKS? Do we have an official Calguns ruling to that effect, or is this one of those things that the Calguns big brains recommend against right now?

dmax11
07-16-2011, 8:35 AM
So detachable magazines are kosher on the Yugo version of the SKS? Do we have an official Calguns ruling to that effect, or is this one of those things that the Calguns big brains recommend against right now?

read this

https://calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=6346484&postcount=2

CSACANNONEER
07-16-2011, 9:55 AM
he is unfortunately correct, as an owner of a Yugo SKS i can confirm that Chabot does not allow you to load more than 2 rounds into an SKS on their range. they even have signs posted and it posted on their webpage. the good news is other ranges in the bay do not have this rule and this made me discover the metcalf range in south san jose. just as good of a range but not as busy but the downside is they make you clean up your shells but its their range so i do what they want :)

I think the reason for the rule at chabot is because of big 5 selling SKS's completely caked in cosmoline, it does not take much cosmo in the bolt of a SKS to cause the firing pin to stick forward and combine with people buying boxer primed us 7.62x39 from stores like B5 and walmart you will end up with slam fires or doubles and triples. as a result of this they have probably experienced it more than a few times there and have decided the safe course of action due to peoples in ability to research their firearms was to ban loading of more than 2 round into them. having looked into the problem and its solutions thoroughly i can see why they would do it and don't hold it against them it is a good range.

i did my homework and soaked my bolt as well as other metal parts in mineral spirits and even took the bolt a step further an boiled it and so far 200+ rounds through mine with zero slam fires with the original firing pin. my SKS was unissued though so there was little to no chance of having any burrs or random stuff in the FP channel that could stick it forward and i only use Russian made ammo in my SKS so the primers are not easily set off

They have had this rule a lot longer than Big 5 has been selling Yugos. I am willing to bet that this rule has been around longer than Yugos have been imported in masses.

CK_32
07-16-2011, 9:56 AM

+10

Wes
07-16-2011, 6:30 PM
i have never had a singe problem with my tapco 10 rnd mag. but i had a ton of problems with my stock mag in my yugo... so who knows?

supersonic
07-16-2011, 6:55 PM

I hope you are not in CA.

Why is that???:confused:

bollero
07-16-2011, 7:42 PM
The one u can't get in Kalifornia!!!! LOLL

dmax11
07-16-2011, 11:01 PM
They have had this rule a lot longer than Big 5 has been selling Yugos. I am willing to bet that this rule has been around longer than Yugos have been imported in masses.

oh ok, my guess then is still that someone who did not know their firearm as well as they should have still brought a neglected/abused or fresh from storage sks out and probably came close to or did hurt someone there in the past.

people selling SKS's should tell buyers about the floating firing pin design and what can happen with it in this rifle because even just bad luck of a pierced primer getting caught into the FP channel in the bolt the wrong way could end up giving you slam fires. from what i've read though and i did a lot of research when i got my SKS is that cosmoline is a major cause, rust and general gun cleaning neglect are the other major cause of the slam fire issue. using soft primer ammo at worst usually results in doubles and triples from what i read, rarely a full mag unload.

JagerTroop
07-17-2011, 12:48 AM

Probably because of the "T6" factor. If it's fixed, then there's no issue (assuming it isn't a RAW).

Quiet
07-17-2011, 10:28 AM

Tapco T6 has a extending stock & a pistol grip. Both are "features", that prohibits the use of detachable magazines.
They would be legal on a semi-auto centerfire rifle with a fixed 10 round or less magazine.
The poster also mentioned using 20 round magazines with the Tapco T6 equiped Yugo SKS.
So, even if he was using a fixed magazine, it would still be a no-go due to the usage of the large capacity magazines.

JagerTroop
07-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Oh yeah... duh :o:kest: and the pistol grip. I sure hope its a RAW or he's out of state.

bwiese
07-17-2011, 2:34 PM

I'll repeat.

We disclosed that years ago - back in 2007. There was even some minor drama about this in 2006 when AB2728 list freeze was getting hashed out at the same time 'detachable magzine' regulations were being proposed - and I had to shut up about it.

Yugo SKSes are not SKSes and that is just the colloquial name for the Zastava Arms M59 or M59/66 rifle. Adding a detachable magazine to such Zastava carbines will NOT trigger CA AW status and will NOT result in an "SKS with detachable magazine."

There may be some other Simonov-pattern rifles that are not "SKS". A real SKS *expert* would have to pipe up. I believe the Albanian carbines are not SKS and are marked with other model#. Chinese stuff and Russian guns would be considered SKS, however.

There are still two other issues that loom even though Yugo rifles with DMs are not AWs in CA (at least for the DM issue):
- 922(r) may require domestic compliance parts and 10-or-less 'key
foreign parts' game
- you're putting crap aftermarket parts on a rifle that, bone stock, runs very very well