PDA

View Full Version : Is this PMAG a Fake?

carnelianbay
05-26-2011, 10:30 AM
Is this PMAG a Fake?

The one on the left is one of my many originals (note the wear on the body). The one on the right I just purchased two days ago.

Observations on new PMAG:

Cover:
- Will not snap on and stay
- Slightly different size
- Gaps on both the left and right sides between the cover and the body
- No “REMOVE BEFORE USE” text within the top recess

Body:
- Tooling mark “circle-15” is slightly larger (marks like this are used for injection molding tool numbers, revisions, and manufacturing date codes)

Bottom Plate:
- Color is slightly lighter
- Tooling mark on bottom
- Cut out on the right side
- Thickness appears to be slightly larger
- Missing a convex feature on the left (can be seen in photo 1)

Being well versed in manufacturing I run across issues with copies a lot especially if the original was designed in English units and the copies were done in Metric.

I understand that Magpul revised these designs a while back which is why I’m asking the question. Regardless, the cover should snap on.

THT
05-26-2011, 11:18 AM
Not a fake. The dust cover and baseplate on the right are from a 30rd "M" revision PMAG. My guess would be someone had a box of rebuild kits that were a mix of 20s and 30s and put them together haphazardly. If you need the correct baseplate and cover for a 20rd PMAG, shoot me a PM as I have tons of baseplates laying around and can probably find a dust cover in my parts bin.

BANG BANG
05-26-2011, 11:28 AM
:mnl:

Midwest .. My favorite vendor for mags !!!

they know their stuff, that answer sounds dead on

762.DEFENSE
05-26-2011, 11:29 AM
Not a fake. The dust cover and baseplate on the right are from a 30rd "M" revision PMAG. My guess would be someone had a box of rebuild kits that were a mix of 20s and 30s and put them together haphazardly. If you need the correct baseplate and cover for a 20rd PMAG, shoot me a PM as I have tons of baseplates laying around and can probably find a dust cover in my parts bin.

Top notch vendor in my book!

Wicked K5
05-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Ty to the rescue! THE place to order Pmags from

Rebellious
05-26-2011, 1:14 PM

Absolutely correct. Not a fake. THT, that's sure nice of you.

BTW I thought something was wrong with mine when I mixed up my plates and covers some time ago.

supertrooper
05-26-2011, 5:06 PM
whats up with all the "it this fake" threads lately?

carnelianbay
05-26-2011, 6:56 PM

Thanks for the help THT. I really thought I had a fake since these parts didn't fit and were different from all of the other 20's I have.

You have a new customer for life, seriously.

PM sent, including an order for a few more mags.

AlliedArmory
05-26-2011, 7:14 PM
Nope not a fake.

seronian
05-27-2011, 4:51 PM
Unless it says B mag ;)