PDA

View Full Version : ...............

BigBamBoo
05-26-2011, 11:24 AM

thunderbolt
05-26-2011, 11:28 AM
Great idea. I like it.

Just input my zip and my regular range didn't pop up which is good. Too many jackin yahoos there anyway.

PEBKAC
05-26-2011, 11:32 AM
I didn't know ShotSpotter had a public shooting range in their building. Interesting.

Edit:

So far, looks good. Should come in handy. :)

Suggestions:
-Someone suggested ratings. I support this suggestion.
-I think it might be a good idea to have a consistent way of reporting false positives. Maybe when viewing a listing there should be a "Not a range?" button that allows users to false positives or something like that.

GuillermoAntonio
05-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Very nice, now add the capability to rate the ranges :).
Aa for the forum.. we already have calguns!

mif_slim
05-26-2011, 11:36 AM
Nice! Ty!

Briancnelson
05-26-2011, 11:38 AM
It's a great idea, it needs a few tweaks imo however.

First, it was missing a couple of well known ranges in the Los Angeles area.

Second, it had places on there that, while gun related, definately DON'T have firing ranges.

It's a good idea to have separate symbols for things like gun stores and clubs and the like that don't have ranges, and places that actually have shooting ranges.

Ideally you would map all gun related businesses and let people filter for FFL's, gun stores, gun clubs, ranges, etc.

Awesome start though and a brilliant idea.

PatriotnMore
05-26-2011, 11:39 AM
Like the site. There is an interesting site tool to objectively look at your site http://websitegrader.com/ ,which grades websites compared to others, yours came in @ a 46 out of 100 grade.

Legasat
05-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Looks very nice! Just one question: San Diego Rod & Gun Club in Carlsbad? I am not familiar with them, and Google did not return any usable results. Do you have any information on them?

762.DEFENSE
05-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Great idea, thank you! :thumbsup:

Tyrant
05-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Good stuff, Thanks

It would be great if there was a little info without having to enter the page
longest shot, days open,

thats about it,

great idea-

-Ty

cmace22
05-26-2011, 1:01 PM
Nice, a list or filter for BLM land locations would be great too.

IPSICK
05-26-2011, 1:05 PM

Second, it had places on there that, while gun related, definately DON'T have firing ranges.

It's a good idea to have separate symbols for things like gun stores and clubs and the like that don't have ranges, and places that actually have shooting ranges.

Ideally you would map all gun related businesses and let people filter for FFL's, gun stores, gun clubs, ranges, etc.

this

IPSICK
05-26-2011, 1:06 PM
Nice, a list or filter for BLM land locations would be great too.

and this.

BayAreaShooter
05-26-2011, 1:13 PM
Great idea. Not sure if all the results are actual shooting ranges but i'm sure everything will get worked out.

Homebrew2
05-26-2011, 1:21 PM
www.wheretoshoot.org

send it_hit
05-26-2011, 1:57 PM
this is really cool stan, thanks

send it_hit
05-26-2011, 1:57 PM
oh and +1 on blm

killshot44
05-26-2011, 2:02 PM
Stan,
Despite the existence of the website shown in the post above, I think there's a lot of value to what you're making.

Add dynamic links and some in-screen pop-ups with detailed info and you're Golden.

Perhaps streamlining a forum to discuss range-specific topics would serve it best.

PyroFox79
05-26-2011, 2:21 PM
San Diego Shotgun sports is no longer in business and hasnt been for some time.

BigBamBoo
05-26-2011, 3:28 PM

BigBamBoo
05-26-2011, 3:28 PM

MasterYong
05-26-2011, 4:28 PM
Great. A site whose chief purpose is to ruin everyone's favorite shooting spots. Yay.

If someone posts my secret spot OOOOOOHHHHH I will be so pissed.

It's like my family's camping spot growing up. Some jackhole wrote a book whose title was something to the tune of "The 100 Best Maintained but Least Used Campgrounds in California." (This was a really sweet spot that no one knew about b/c it's in the middle of freakin' nowhere and the only reason it was maintained at all was because it was occasionally used as a base camp for firefighters when there was a major forest fire nearby, which was rare). I show up to the campground I've been using 6 times a year for 20 years and EVERY SINGLE SITE is taken, when I've only ever seen 3 other people out there my whole life. A few years later it died back down again, then the jackhole released a 2nd addition of his book.

Some people like to keep their favorite spots hidden from all but the lucky few, so that they can have a place to go and be alone.

Oh well.

(On a side note I'm not directly attacking you Boo, I always appreciate your insights and advice on this forum. I just really, really, REALLY hate ideas like this. I've had my routines completely ruined several times over by similar projects).

ETA: LOL I just realized that, at least in my area, you're only listing shooting ranges (which are already publicly listed). Please keep it that way, and I'll be a happy panda. That is all. :D

killshot44
05-26-2011, 5:31 PM
That kind of Localism is what killed Surfing for me.

Some people get pretty damn possessive of Public Land.

AlliedArmory
05-26-2011, 6:08 PM

Very nice, but like other have said. Thanks for the time and effort. Will come in handy.

MasterYong
05-26-2011, 8:08 PM
That kind of Localism is what killed Surfing for me.

Some people get pretty damn possessive of Public Land.

I'm not talking about being possessive, I'm talking about peace and quiet and privacy. You don't have anywhere you go to be alone? I'm talking about 50 screaming kids, broken glass, garbage, evidence of drug use, blasting music, poorly trained unleashed dogs of questionable temperament, all in a place that used to be quiet, peaceful, and beautiful.

If you'd be cool with that kind of development in a place you grew up with and loved then I don't know what to say...

cmace22
05-26-2011, 8:35 PM
I think it would be cool if we as Calgunners had a quick and effective may to let others know where we will be shooting.

Say we had a chart or calender where we could enter our screen names a time and place that we will be in hopes of meeting other calgunners. I dont know about the rest of you but I like shooting new guns and shooting the S with other gun lovers.

The only way I know to do this now is to post it up on the forums but really dont like the idea of starting new thread every time I go shoot.

If your site had a section where we could enter some info under a given range I think it would be cool.

Maybe its the pain killers talking lol. It makes me say strange things sometimes as some of you may have seen.

nikonuser
05-26-2011, 8:40 PM
Thanks for putting this together and putting this info online. Tested it for my zip code and it worked great.

thunderbolt
05-27-2011, 7:20 AM
Great. A site whose chief purpose is to ruin everyone's favorite shooting spots. Yay.

If someone posts my secret spot OOOOOOHHHHH I will be so pissed.

It's like my family's camping spot growing up. Some jackhole wrote a book whose title was something to the tune of "The 100 Best Maintained but Least Used Campgrounds in California." (This was a really sweet spot that no one knew about b/c it's in the middle of freakin' nowhere and the only reason it was maintained at all was because it was occasionally used as a base camp for firefighters when there was a major forest fire nearby, which was rare). I show up to the campground I've been using 6 times a year for 20 years and EVERY SINGLE SITE is taken, when I've only ever seen 3 other people out there my whole life. A few years later it died back down again, then the jackhole released a 2nd addition of his book.

Some people like to keep their favorite spots hidden from all but the lucky few, so that they can have a place to go and be alone.

Oh well.

(On a side note I'm not directly attacking you Boo, I always appreciate your insights and advice on this forum. I just really, really, REALLY hate ideas like this. I've had my routines completely ruined several times over by similar projects).

ETA: LOL I just realized that, at least in my area, you're only listing shooting ranges (which are already publicly listed). Please keep it that way, and I'll be a happy panda. That is all. :D

I feel your pain. The place I go to shoot is all but unusable on the weekends (and frustratingly most weekdays now) because every jerk within 150 miles comes to dump their trash there and shoot at it. On the other hand I've only lived here for 6 years and I've come to realize that in a state with 40+ million residents there is no place left to get away from them. If you want to camp in tranquility I suggest Idaho or Oregon.

Back on topic, I'd like to see a map function on the site cause who knows when the itch to squeeze a few rounds off will hit and it'd be nice to be able to find these locations while traveling.

Zdeth
05-27-2011, 9:25 AM
Just moved to a new area and excited about this webpage!

Suggestion: if you can get around to it, it'd be nice to indicate or be able to search for outdoor/rifle ranges vs indoor/pistol calibre only ranges

WDE91
05-27-2011, 9:44 AM
Stan thank you for the effort you put into that
remember folks this is a reference look there then investigate

NorCalK9.com
05-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Like the site. There is an interesting site tool to objectively look at your site http://websitegrader.com/ ,which grades websites compared to others, yours came in @ a 46 out of 100 grade.

Not bad I got a score of 22 out of a hundred on my site www.norcalk9.com guess I gotta pay my web guy more money and at least get to 50 lol.

ThemBastards
05-27-2011, 12:06 PM
Good job guy

chead
05-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Works great!

ELEVENTH HOUR
05-27-2011, 12:12 PM
I like it Bam!:cheers2:

winxp_man
05-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Nicely done Stan!

morrcarr67
05-27-2011, 4:05 PM
www.wheretoshoot.org

I've used that one and this one:

http://www.huntingnavigator.com/huntingdir/californiashooting.html

HK Dave
05-27-2011, 4:20 PM
Well it seems like there are LOTS of post asking if there is a range or place to shoot near "X".

So about a year ago I started working on a database and website so folks could find shooting ranges near where they live.

The site is up and running and seems to be working ok for now. It still has a ways to go and I have some more ideas for it. But for now it is what it is. Feel free to use it and pass it along.

**PLEASE DO NOT JOIN THE FORUM** That still need some work and is a ways off.

The site is: http://www.shootingplaces.com/

Maybe the mods can make this a sticky?

Take care,Stan

You sir, are awesome. :)