PDA

View Full Version : New barrel for M1 Garand?

LDBennett
05-26-2011, 7:08 AM
I am contemplating installing a new barrel (like the Criterion) on my SA M1 Garand. I have looked at Dean Gun Restorations (DGR) new barrel and install for about $300 but then there is the shipping to the East Coast and the hassles associated with shipping, etc.

Is there a local to Southern California (Los Angeles area, Inland Empire, High Desert) gunsmith that offers an equivalent service that will do an excellent job?

My Garand has had a hard life as it is a Korean re-import. It was re-barreled about 15 years ago by a no-name Gunsmithing firm somewhere in the South. It has never shot well (original barrel very dark and rough which lead to the barrel changeout) even after the new "Heavy" barrel was installed. The whole of the installation is suspect as they failed to complete the drilling of the gas port which lead to a great deal of frustration until I found the problem. This SA M1 Garand was made in the last month of WW II. While that may not mean much to others it means something to me (I was born the day before the Pearl Harbor attack and the start of WW II!) so I would like to keep it rather than just sell it off and by a CMP gun.

I am not in need of just another barrel but a NEW barrel and installation that will allow the full potential of the gun (like 2MOA accuracy with a scope) from a local gunsmith with Garand experience in the pricing level close to the $300 offered by DGR. I do not compete but do shoot at extended rages at steel targets out to 500yds. The current barrel gives about 6 MOA with flyers. The stock is bedded, the crown renewed and yet, it still does not shoot well at all. All internals seem to be within spec.

Anyone?

LDBennett

xibunkrlilkidsx
05-26-2011, 7:59 AM
maybe try the curio and relic forums.

gl. want my garand so bad.

05-26-2011, 8:17 AM
please delete

kendog4570
05-26-2011, 9:27 AM
If you dont find anyone local to you, I can take care of it. I am just up the coast near Santa Cruz. USPS priority is only one day each way. My pricing is a little higher than Dean (I get my barrels from him) but I can turn it around in 4 days or less, instead of 4 to 6 months or longer. Same quality work and attention to detail. 20 + years experience with US Service rifles for NRA competition. FFL and COE licensed and insured.
Please let me know if I can help
Ken

I am contemplating installing a new barrel (like the Criterion) on my SA M1 Garand. I have looked at Dean Gun Restorations (DGR) new barrel and install for about $300 but then there is the shipping to the East Coast and the hassles associated with shipping, etc.

Is there a local to Southern California (Los Angeles area, Inland Empire, High Desert) gunsmith that offers an equivalent service that will do an excellent job?

My Garand has had a hard life as it is a Korean re-import. It was re-barreled about 15 years ago by a no-name Gunsmithing firm somewhere in the South. It has never shot well (original barrel very dark and rough which lead to the barrel changeout) even after the new "Heavy" barrel was installed. The whole of the installation is suspect as they failed to complete the drilling of the gas port which lead to a great deal of frustration until I found the problem. This SA M1 Garand was made in the last month of WW II. While that may not mean much to others it means something to me (I was born the day before the Pearl Harbor attack and the start of WW II!) so I would like to keep it rather than just sell it off and by a CMP gun.

I am not in need of just another barrel but a NEW barrel and installation that will allow the full potential of the gun (like 2MOA accuracy with a scope) from a local gunsmith with Garand experience in the pricing level close to the $300 offered by DGR. I do not compete but do shoot at extended rages at steel targets out to 500yds. The current barrel gives about 6 MOA with flyers. The stock is bedded, the crown renewed and yet, it still does not shoot well at all. All internals seem to be within spec.

Anyone?

LDBennett

6mmintl
05-26-2011, 10:51 AM
Try champions choice and or champions shooters supply, I believe they both rebarrel M1's with douglas barrels and mod handguards also.

I had two done in 308, one in late 80's and another in mid 90's and both shot extremely well (1.25 MOA with handloads) after basic accurizing of stock/trigger/front handguard.

popeye4
05-26-2011, 12:00 PM
You could contact Creedmoor Sports, they are in Oceanside. I don't think they do that sort of work, but since they are big in the highpower game, they might be able to point you to someone local. http://www.creedmoorsports.com/store/home.php

Orlando
05-26-2011, 12:53 PM
You would have to ship bu cant say enough good about Shuffs Parkerizng
barrel $170.00 plus $75.00 install, 5 day turn around guaruntee
http://www.shuffsparkerizing.com/Pricing.html

blu97
05-26-2011, 9:38 PM
Kendog