PDA

View Full Version : Registered AW- Would you?

Ubermcoupe
05-25-2011, 11:32 PM
A buddy of mine and I were having a discussion about the current CA AWB and he said he would be in favor of repealing the current AWB to allow for "evil black rifles" but only if they were purchased through the usual process (background, triggerlock, wait, etc) + registration.

First let us put aside the >10 mag thing for now.

My thoughts are:
The current system is already registered, however you cannot add to those already registered (unless a LEO w/ letter)

BUT I do know how some of you feel about long gun registration so it begs the question:

If you could have your "evil rifle" sans bullet button, but it would have to be registered like current AW are in CA, would you? or no compromise, registration is bologna!
:confused:

thedrickel
05-25-2011, 11:47 PM
No way, the transportation limitations alone are enough to discount that possibility.

MrPlink
05-26-2011, 2:30 AM
Id be for another bout of open registration if it was our only option, fortunately its not.

I would take it as a worst case scenario though, provided the court challenge does not go our way, but I have full confidence.

Markus
05-26-2011, 2:41 AM
Not worth it IMO just another way for them to keep tabs on us.... Not to mention what they would charge us for such a privilege.

dieselpower
05-26-2011, 5:30 AM
I have no issue with registration. Its a form of control. Its a list used to start confiscation. Its a list used by LEO to immediately draw a gun when the AW status pops up. I don't care. big freaking deal.

Think it through people.
1) The .gov decides to make firearms illegal..what you gonna do..shoot a LEO? No you are going to comply. You gonna run to the hills? Why would registration stop you from doing that? You are already on the list because you are here jackwagon..think it through.
2) Society breaks down and you need a gun..how is registration bad then? I will tell you how...cuz you didn't take advantage of the law and get a real weapon.
3) You violate the law, get an AW anyway and get caught...congrats on the LIFE LONG FELONY RESTRICTED STATUS....

If the ,gov came out and said, "AWs are fine, just register them." I would do it. The registration means jack-poop nowadays. If you think your name isn't on a list...LOL wake up.

Jonathan Doe
05-26-2011, 6:10 AM
I registered my M-1A and Bushmaster AR back then. I am enjoying freedom of what I can attach/detach or whatever. Strangely, I feel sense of freedom with those rifles. If there is another period that I can register my CA compliant black rifles, I will do it.

sonnyt650
05-26-2011, 6:43 AM
No way, the transportation limitations alone are enough to discount that possibility.

Agreed. I'd pick and choose if I could -- my other two .223 ARs are meant to be shared with family and friends without the (other) stupidity and so they have bullet buttons.

goodlookin1
05-26-2011, 6:57 AM
It's an unfair poll. You're not asking us to account for reason.

Obviously, we all want it to be free with no registration. What pro 2-A person wouldnt? Now, if you are asking between the choice of "no AW" vs "AW with registration", I'd choose registration. The day they come knocking on the doors to confiscate is the day that America is dead and we have dictators ruling over us. At that point, it IS TIME to revolt. That's what our 2A is for. I dont agree with Dieselpower that we'll just hand over our guns nice and politely. Some would, but some wouldnt. I hope and pray our gov't is not that stupid, forcing us to choose between the options.

kermitz
05-26-2011, 7:32 AM
If my wife doesn't know what I have in my safe, whys should my Uncle Sam?

i<3HK
05-26-2011, 7:38 AM

Obviously, we all want it to be free with no registration. What pro 2-A person wouldnt? Now, if you are asking between the choice of "no AW" vs "AW with registration", I'd choose registration. The day they come knocking on the doors to confiscate is the day that America is dead and we have dictators ruling over us. At that point, it IS TIME to revolt. That's what our 2A is for. I dont agree with Dieselpower that we'll just hand over our guns nice and politely. Some would, but some wouldnt. I hope and pray our gov't is not that stupid, forcing us to choose between the options.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

ZX-10R
05-26-2011, 7:46 AM
CA - Where criminals are better armed than law enforcement and citizens. The gun laws here need way more tweaking than this but the liberals own this state so good luck. It is like dreaming with your eyes open.

echoarms
05-26-2011, 8:05 AM
I have no issue with registration. Its a form of control. Its a list used to start confiscation. Its a list used by LEO to immediately draw a gun when the AW status pops up. I don't care. big freaking deal.

Think it through people.
1) The .gov decides to make firearms illegal..what you gonna do..shoot a LEO? No you are going to comply. You gonna run to the hills? Why would registration stop you from doing that? You are already on the list because you are here jackwagon..think it through.
2) Society breaks down and you need a gun..how is registration bad then? I will tell you how...cuz you didn't take advantage of the law and get a real weapon.
3) You violate the law, get an AW anyway and get caught...congrats on the LIFE LONG FELONY RESTRICTED STATUS....

If the ,gov came out and said, "AWs are fine, just register them." I would do it. The registration means jack-poop nowadays. If you think your name isn't on a list...LOL wake up.
If society breaks down I will not be in CA with 30 million other people.....the law wouldn't apply to me anymore anyways.

bwiese
05-26-2011, 8:26 AM

Yes, but intelligently preplanned honest replies to such questions can solve that. Many people spontaneously decide to go to Reno or their friends' homes.

sonnyt650
05-26-2011, 8:29 AM
The registration means jack-poop nowadays. If you think your name isn't on a list...LOL wake up.

Yeah I sold a Colt Sporter Carbine because I made more of the Named registration thing than it is. A short time after I bought a Bushmaster XM-15(arguably better features anyway) for a good amount more money and had to get that Series registered soon after. After that mistake I haven't sold off anything so my collection just continues to grow.

magsnubby
05-26-2011, 8:37 AM
If you think your name isn't on a list...LOL wake up.

It amazes me how many people believe this. Several years ago we were collecting signatures for a RKBA initivative. I can't even count the times i heard that statement. I just wanted to slap them an scream "YOU DON'T THINK THE GOVERNMENT KNOWS WHO YOU ARE OR WHERE YOUR AT?????"

dieselpower
05-26-2011, 8:53 AM

Obviously, we all want it to be free with no registration. What pro 2-A person wouldn't? Now, if you are asking between the choice of "no AW" vs "AW with registration", I'd choose registration. The day they come knocking on the doors to confiscate is the day that America is dead and we have dictators ruling over us. At that point, it IS TIME to revolt. That's what our 2A is for. I dont agree with Dieselpower that we'll just hand over our guns nice and politely. Some would, but some wouldn't. I hope and pray our gov't is not that stupid, forcing us to choose between the options.

I hope I am wrong, but I can tell you right now I am not. There are too few who will fight and draw blood. The vast majority will fight with words while kneeling down. The ones who draw blood are labeled; terrorist, criminal, murderers. They will have no safe haven, no outside support from friendly Nations, no rally point...nothing.

You need to take back your rights the same way you LOST them...INCH BY INCH. The registration = AW law would be a good thing in CA. We would GAIN rights. It would be a BAD thing for the rest of the Country.

People need to wise up on this. The .Gov is not going to one day say...GO GET UM BOYS..GET THOSE GUNS.. arrest the owners...put um all in jail. Thats stupid, that is not going to happen. What will happen is inch by inch, law by law we will lose more and more of our rights.

On our side of the fence you need to wise up too. Some LEO arrest a guy for an unjust AW charge...go to the LEO office with a gun and start shooting LEO....if you think the Nation will agree with you and call you a hero...you are freaking wrong. You will be a murderer, a terrorist, a criminal. Fighting and drawing blood is NOT the answer. Inch by inch, law by law, court case by court case is the ONLY way to gain our rights back.

I will state it again... No one is going to pass a law saying everyone needs to turn in their guns... and if they do ... the people who refuse and start shooting are CRIMINAL MURDERERS. The ones who hide their guns are criminals too. We are a nation of LAWS, not your idea of what those laws are.

No one is going to say..."just turn in the registered firearms". It will be an "all or nothing" law. Once again even if they do...the FIGHT is in the court room, not the rooftops.

stix213
05-26-2011, 9:35 AM
I'd rather the AW laws be tossed completely, but I would register several if the registry opens up.

Mute
05-26-2011, 10:58 AM
If you don't think registration is that big a deal, tell that to the people who had their registered SKS Sporters confiscated in the 90's.

Fiveohmike
05-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Whats an Assault Weapon?

All I have are semi-automatic center fire rifles....*shrug*

PEBKAC
05-26-2011, 11:29 AM
Whats an Assault Weapon?

All I have are semi-automatic center fire rifles....*shrug*
This.

duc748bip
05-26-2011, 12:10 PM
The original AWB's reg rate is so low its insignificant.. they should just repeal it

ojisan
05-26-2011, 12:33 PM
The CA AW registration law IS confiscation.
Upon the death of the owner, the AW must be sold out of state, destroyed or surrendered to LE, under felony level penalties for your heirs who do not comply.
You cannot pass a registered AW onto your children.
In 50 years or so, when all the current AW owners have passed on, there will be no more AWs in CA.

There was just a recent thread here about retired LE having to surrender their personally purchased AWs.
How's that "registration only" list working out for them?

plumbum
05-26-2011, 12:51 PM
I personally believe the term 'assault weapon' is a verb, not a noun.

Fiveohmike
05-26-2011, 1:05 PM
I personally believe the term 'assault weapon' is a verb, not a noun.

If you pistol whip someone, i think it then becomes an assault weapon

goodlookin1
05-26-2011, 1:09 PM
I hope I am wrong, but I can tell you right now I am not. There are too few who will fight and draw blood. The vast majority will fight with words while kneeling down. The ones who draw blood are labeled; terrorist, criminal, murderers. They will have no safe haven, no outside support from friendly Nations, no rally point...nothing.

You need to take back your rights the same way you LOST them...INCH BY INCH. The registration = AW law would be a good thing in CA. We would GAIN rights. It would be a BAD thing for the rest of the Country.

People need to wise up on this. The .Gov is not going to one day say...GO GET UM BOYS..GET THOSE GUNS.. arrest the owners...put um all in jail. Thats stupid, that is not going to happen. What will happen is inch by inch, law by law we will lose more and more of our rights.

On our side of the fence you need to wise up too. Some LEO arrest a guy for an unjust AW charge...go to the LEO office with a gun and start shooting LEO....if you think the Nation will agree with you and call you a hero...you are freaking wrong. You will be a murderer, a terrorist, a criminal. Fighting and drawing blood is NOT the answer. Inch by inch, law by law, court case by court case is the ONLY way to gain our rights back.

I will state it again... No one is going to pass a law saying everyone needs to turn in their guns... and if they do ... the people who refuse and start shooting are CRIMINAL MURDERERS. The ones who hide their guns are criminals too. We are a nation of LAWS, not your idea of what those laws are.

No one is going to say..."just turn in the registered firearms". It will be an "all or nothing" law. Once again even if they do...the FIGHT is in the court room, not the rooftops.

You're probably right that fewer people would fight than give up their stuff. But that's not the only part of this.

What I'm saying is that it would take an overthrowing of the gov't/voiding of the constitution to get to the point where they come and collect all guns. If THAT happened, there would me many, MANY more people willing to fight and literally take up arms, because it's not just about guns....it's about their country.

If our gov't were to remain intact, along with out constitution, and the only thing that changed was a gun grabbing politician knocking on the doors collecting firearms, then yes....I would tend to agree with you: Most would not fight. Here's the thing though: There are many more pro-2A states than there are Anti. So this would only happen in an Anti state. If it was federal (which it would be because there are too many pro-2A states), I can guarantee that pro-2A states would not give up their arms so easily as CA would.

It's all conjecture anyways....No telling what would really go down....

Uxi
05-26-2011, 1:29 PM
No compromise unless the bastards properly Amend the Constitution first. Even then, and only then, would I accept registration to make the 10-round limit go away

leoffensive
05-26-2011, 2:01 PM
Can we make them full auto too since they will be called assualt weapons lol

brando
05-26-2011, 3:07 PM
I think there are a lot of people who bought into the "don't register your rifle" hysteria back in 2000, who're probably a bit bummed that they can't risk taking those rifles out and shooting them. They're now felony safe queens.

magsnubby
05-26-2011, 6:51 PM
What I'm saying is that it would take an overthrowing of the gov't/voiding of the constitution to get to the point where they come and collect all guns.

Hurricane Katrina comes to mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-taU9d26wT4&mode=related&search=

If THAT happened, there would me many, MANY more people willing to fight and literally take up arms, because it's not just about guns....it's about their country

I only wish that were true.

I think there are a lot of people who bought into the "don't register your rifle" hysteria back in 2000, who're probably a bit bummed that they can't risk taking those rifles out and shooting them. They're now felony safe queens.

I almost bought into that and started not to register my AK. I was talking to a good friend that was an FFL and he told me "I'm not telling you yes or no. that's your decision. And i'm not saying the state will hunt you down and toss your butt in jail. But do you know how easy it is to trace a gun? Besides what good is it if you can't take it out and shoot it?"

Arnelcheeze
05-26-2011, 7:07 PM
Registration is just another way of giving up your guns when they want them.
"knock knock, are you so and so, please hand over all these guns on this list! thank you for giving me your freedom!"

Uriah02
05-26-2011, 7:34 PM
Baby steps... I just want to be able to have a supressor in CA one day...

MrPlink
05-26-2011, 7:46 PM
I don't say often, but Diesel is 100% right

magsnubby
05-26-2011, 8:17 PM
....Diesel is 100% right

Yes he is.

Inquirer
05-26-2011, 8:26 PM

If the day comes that I take up arms against the State, it will be because all of my other civil liberties have been encroached on. I will not wage war because someone's at my door to take my guns - I will wage war because someone's there to take my voice.

--Inq

FatalKitty
05-26-2011, 9:11 PM

Think it through people.

If that happened... the day the FIRST civilian was killed/executed for failure to comply with a law that violates our constitution... all HELL would break loose. I would gladly be that martyr

Otherwise I agree with you. and would be happy to take RAW over no AW any day.

brando
05-26-2011, 9:23 PM
You could look at it rationally instead of leaping to paranoid conclusions and just ask "when was the last time CA DOJ confiscated guns from law abiding citizens?" None that I know of in the last few generations. Sure, they placed restrictions that prevented us from buying certain weapons, but did they ban a firearm then go through the registration lists, start knocking on doors and demand people turn them over?

Personally, I think it shows the difference in how people perceive reality. Some people automatically assume because something is possible, that it is inevitable or highly likely, regardless of the evidence. The other point of view is accepting that something is possible, but analyzing the risks and realizing that it's highly unlikely and worth the risk.

Mute
05-26-2011, 9:47 PM
Actually it has happened. Or have all of you forgotten about the whole SKS fiasco with Dan Lundgren.

CaliNoMag
05-26-2011, 9:51 PM
If my wife doesn't know what I have in my safe, whys should my Uncle Sam?

amen,

well said

arsilva32
05-27-2011, 12:21 AM
http://i53.tinypic.com/x5e1kp.jpg