PDA

View Full Version : Can You Remove a Pinned Folding Stock For Storage...

BusBoy
05-25-2011, 8:22 PM
Hey Gang,

So... Can you remove a pinned folding stock on a rifle for storage purposes?? Specifically a CA Kriss Super V.

See this example: Kriss Hardcase (http://www.kriss-tdi.com/kriss-store.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl1&product_id=22&category_id=13)

Im thinking no and it might be a big no no... but regardless please let me know your thoughts. Thanks Gang.

kozumasbullitt
05-25-2011, 8:30 PM
If the overall length is under regulation then no and by removing the stock, if it changes a rifle to a pistol or SBR then no.

Us3rName
05-25-2011, 8:30 PM
You thought right. Once it is removed. Your weapon is no longer in legal configuration.

BusBoy
05-25-2011, 8:33 PM
And that what I was guessing. Should have known better about it being under the 16" length with the stock removed :rolleyes:

Thanks for the speed of the replies!

MrPlink
05-25-2011, 8:35 PM
If you made it temporarily "bolt action" it would be legal to bring it down to 26in.

Cokebottle
05-25-2011, 8:58 PM
What gun? AR?
Detach the upper from the lower, then the lower is no longer a centerfire, semiautomatic rifle, so no AW issues with removing the bolt, and no SBR issues with removing the stock.

7.62 Charlie
05-25-2011, 9:06 PM
What gun? .

Kriss super v

Cokebottle
05-25-2011, 9:16 PM
Ahh... missed that.
I followed your link and saw the case but didn't catch the rifle type.

Nope... no separating the upper and lower on that. I think you're stuck with a longer case.

BusBoy
05-25-2011, 9:32 PM
Ahh... missed that.
I followed your link and saw the case but didn't catch the rifle type.

Nope... no separating the upper and lower on that. I think you're stuck with a longer case.

Wait Cokebottle... See this Pic. The Kriss definitely breaks down from an upper and lower so to speak. Whats your take on if I bust this into a lower and upper? Legal then? Not asking for legal advice just opinions.

http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/_thumbs/Images/smg/smg96/kriss2.jpg

Cokebottle
05-25-2011, 9:38 PM
I would be comfortable with it.

762.DEFENSE
05-25-2011, 9:43 PM
Wait Cokebottle... See this Pic. The Kriss definitely breaks down from an upper and lower so to speak. Whats your take on if I bust this into a lower and upper? Legal then? Not asking for legal advice just opinions.

http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/_thumbs/Images/smg/smg96/kriss2.jpg

I'm pretty sure you would be good to go with this configuration for storage purposes.

kozumasbullitt
05-25-2011, 10:03 PM
All broken down, I would call it parts and not a rifle but why risk any hassle.

Us3rName
05-26-2011, 10:57 AM
any firearm that is taken apart to which once its in pieces it can not function, would not be consider a firearm or weapon but parts.

Cokebottle
05-26-2011, 8:29 PM
any firearm that is taken apart to which once its in pieces it can not function, would not be consider a firearm or weapon but parts.
The serialized receiver is always a firearm and must be treated as such.
But for purposes of this discussion, yes, if it is broken down and has NO barrel, then it can not be classified as an SBR.
Likewise, if it has no barrel, it is not a semiautomatic centerfire rifle, so it can not be classified as an AW due to the length being under 30".

Otherwise there would be SBR issues in removing the upper from an AR.