PDA

View Full Version : Dynacomp, Griffin Comp

HK Dave
05-25-2011, 7:05 PM
I own a battlecomp and was about to purchase another when I found out about the Dynacomp by Spikes and that Griffin also makes a comp.

Anyone have either the spikes or griffin version? I'm curious as to whether they work the same as the battlecomp. Would love to save $50.

(Not looking to start a VS troll B*tch session here, just curious to see if anyone actually owns any of the products and thinks they work as well as the battlecomp.)

UserM4
05-25-2011, 7:23 PM
From what I've researched, it's pretty much the same thing as the Battlecomp.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Griffin_Armament_M4_SD_Tactical_Compensator_p/ga-m4-sdcompensator.htm
$109.95 and $5 off when using coupon code AR15 (Let me know if you find it for less because I'm gonna be picking up about 4 of them.)

Here's a Military Moron review.
http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.access2.html#griffin
I've also used a Battlecomp on this same upper, and found the recoil and muzzle jump reduction of the M4-SD to be about the same. Very little difference between the two in that respect - same thing with concussion.

bender152
05-25-2011, 7:27 PM
I think the Dynacomp just started shipping. I'll be getting a Spike's upper with it installed (delivered in about a week).

I can give you a review then, but I've never tried a Battlecomp, so I can't compare the two.

JoeBobOutfitters.com
05-25-2011, 10:28 PM
From what I've researched, it's pretty much the same thing as the Battlecomp.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Griffin_Armament_M4_SD_Tactical_Compensator_p/ga-m4-sdcompensator.htm
$109.95 and $5 off when using coupon code AR15 (Let me know if you find it for less because I'm gonna be picking up about 4 of them.)

Here's a Military Moron review.
http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.access2.html#griffin

We have the Griffin Comp's in stock, but still don't have our stock in yet for the Spike's comp's. For the most part, the Griffin comp's are going to be nearly identical to the battle comp in terms of performance based on third party testing thus far. They both have slightly different approaches, to the same end, more or less.

The Griffin is much harder, and there have been instances in which a mounted BC has been dropped on a gun and dented it enough to cause it to be unserviceable. This is a standard ~3ft drop as in a person falling, or it fell off a table, etc. No third party (or first party) testing on the RC hardness of the BC, but it's definitely not in the same ballpark as an A2 or Griffin.

The Griffin comp is ~45RC and an A2 is ~36RC, for comparison. It's a top quality unit, honestly. We wouldn't sell a brand new product if we didn't have complete faith in a sustainable long term market for it to attach our business to. I bought one from Griffin and threw it on my PLR-16 for some pre-testing and it all worked well, as a comp and a QD for my M4SD suppressor and so we decided to pursue it as a retailer.

In terms of suppressor attachments the griffin will be more compatible with multiple suppressors than the Battle Comp. The Spike's of course isn't going to be compatible unless you get the version designed to be a QD mount for a single can. I'd assume this isn't as big of a priority in some states such as California, but was a larger concern for us in the free states :43:.

We are the only online retailer at this time that I am aware of that sells the Griffin comp, and our price is probably going to be as good as it gets as we buy at a higher pricing tier than most dealers are going to purchase at, basically.

HK Dave
05-26-2011, 8:34 AM
We have the Griffin Comp's in stock, but still don't have our stock in yet for the Spike's comp's. For the most part, the Griffin comp's are going to be nearly identical to the battle comp in terms of performance based on third party testing thus far. They both have slightly different approaches, to the same end, more or less.

The Griffin is much harder, and there have been instances in which a mounted BC has been dropped on a gun and dented it enough to cause it to be unserviceable. This is a standard ~3ft drop as in a person falling, or it fell off a table, etc. No third party (or first party) testing on the RC hardness of the BC, but it's definitely not in the same ballpark as an A2 or Griffin.

The Griffin comp is ~45RC and an A2 is ~36RC, for comparison. It's a top quality unit, honestly. We wouldn't sell a brand new product if we didn't have complete faith in a sustainable long term market for it to attach our business to. I bought one from Griffin and threw it on my PLR-16 for some pre-testing and it all worked well, as a comp and a QD for my M4SD suppressor and so we decided to pursue it as a retailer.

In terms of suppressor attachments the griffin will be more compatible with multiple suppressors than the Battle Comp. The Spike's of course isn't going to be compatible unless you get the version designed to be a QD mount for a single can. I'd assume this isn't as big of a priority in some states such as California, but was a larger concern for us in the free states :43:.

We are the only online retailer at this time that I am aware of that sells the Griffin comp, and our price is probably going to be as good as it gets as we buy at a higher pricing tier than most dealers are going to purchase at, basically.

Sweet! When can we expect them to come down to dynacomp prices so we can outfit all our rifles? ;)

evollep3
05-26-2011, 9:37 AM

the drop test was on the dyna comp or the griffin? and who was the third party that did the test?

UserM4
05-26-2011, 10:05 AM
Sounds like there wasn't a specific "test" per se but an accident that crushed the Battle Comp.

PEBKAC
05-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Dynacomp looks intriguing. I'll probably pick one of the OPS inc spec threaded ones for my current build when they come out.

JoeBobOutfitters.com
05-26-2011, 11:09 AM
the drop test was on the dyna comp or the griffin? and who was the third party that did the test?

Sounds like there wasn't a specific "test" per se but an accident that crushed the Battle Comp.

Correct. There has been no formal testing done on it. I've heard it from a few customers who have had 3gun buddies had it happen, etc. No direct "quote" or test, per se. There was a thread on m4carbine regarding the two in a type of "apples to apples" comparison of the two and BC and Griffin chimed in on both sides. BC's never released an actual RC number in that thread or anywhere I've seen, but they should have that data from the manufacturing of it and knowing what materials/heat treating goes into it.

Sweet! When can we expect them to come down to dynacomp prices so we can outfit all our rifles? ;)

I know what the manufacturer (Griffin/Hearing Protection LLC) is paying for them to be machined/finished, and what we are buying them at in bulk quantities, so unless the volume rises to a much higher level I don't anticipate them dropping lower in price. The volume of the Spike's will most likely be higher, and I'm not quite sure what material/heat treating they are made of at this time. I can't really find any info? I might drop a question over on ARFCOM to see what Tom says.

HK Dave
05-26-2011, 8:43 PM
From what i was told by BC, their 2.0 version is made tougher.

Just ordered a Dynacomp, going to test it out against my BC 2.0 and see how it goes.

When I scrounge up some more dough, i'll grab a Griffin and do review of all 3 or something.

JoeBobOutfitters.com
05-27-2011, 7:54 AM
From what i was told by BC, their 2.0 version is made tougher.

Just ordered a Dynacomp, going to test it out against my BC 2.0 and see how it goes.

When I scrounge up some more dough, i'll grab a Griffin and do review of all 3 or something.

Have you ever seen a RC #? I like comparing apples and apples.

Side by side comparisons are great. If someone spends $100+ on a muzzle attachment and doesn't have any others they're of course going to be partial to their choice :D.

HK Dave
05-27-2011, 10:27 AM
RC #?

JoeBobOutfitters.com
05-27-2011, 11:34 AM
RC #?

Rockwell hardness, RC scale.

HK Dave
05-27-2011, 3:16 PM
Ah... actually didn't check the BC 2.0 vs Griffin... is it a big difference?

JoeBobOutfitters.com
05-27-2011, 4:21 PM
Ah... actually didn't check the BC 2.0 vs Griffin... is it a big difference?

I've never heard an exact number even when BC chimes in on m4carbine, etc. It'd be good to know as a retailer or consumer, I was asking if you knew for sure.

HK Dave
05-27-2011, 4:54 PM
Nope, don't know for sure, I should call and find out. I recall when ordering direct from BC, they told me with the version 2.0 it was better and harder steel. Of course who knows what that really means?

JoeBobOutfitters.com
06-06-2011, 9:37 PM
Nope, don't know for sure, I should call and find out. I recall when ordering direct from BC, they told me with the version 2.0 it was better and harder steel. Of course who knows what that really means?

I have a followup regarding the hardness of the Battle Comp 1.0 and 2.0. Exchanged some PM's with Marty of Battle Comp:

All BCE comps across the board are 17-4 PH heat treated to 45 HRC min.

Materials and processes are identical (Between the 1.0 and 2.0). Wall thickness on the 2.0 is slightly thicker due to the larger OD to accommodate suppressor compatibility. The thicker wall does make the the 2.0 "stronger" but this was not the primary reason for the change. The 1.0 is actually 3X stronger than needed for safe operation. Any added thickness for the sake of adding strength is unnecessary and just adds weight. Basic materials science and flow dynamics drove my design. Hope this makes sense!

So, in summary, the BC 2.0 is stronger than the 1.0 in design, but not in heat treating or material. Previous claims of different materials between the two are false.

The M4SD Comp AND BC 1.0/2.0 are made of the same material, 17-4 PH with a Rockwell RC of 45 which is pretty damn hard. An A2 Flash in comparison is ~36RC. Have yet to hear back on the Dynacomp, but I would assume it's in that same ballpark. It'll be interesting to see the real world results of the Dynacomp + Spike's suppressor quick detach....for those in states that allow such fun toys ;)

gsrious
06-07-2011, 12:30 AM
So, in summary, the BC 2.0 is stronger than the 1.0 in design, but not in heat treating or material. Previous claims of different materials between the two are false.

The M4SD Comp AND BC 1.0/2.0 are made of the same material, 17-4 PH with a Rockwell RC of 45 which is pretty damn hard.

wait till BC's marketing manager gets ahold of Marty:rolleyes:

Cyc Wid It
06-07-2011, 1:54 AM
Battlecomps are developed here in CA (San Francisco no less). Support local folks!

UserM4
06-07-2011, 9:06 AM
Battlecomps are developed here in CA (San Francisco no less). Support local folks!

Too bad there's over a 25% price difference and since I need to buy several of them, being broke as I am, I can't justify it. Hopefully the Griffin is made here in the States at least.

mlevans66
06-07-2011, 9:57 AM

Wha? Really? I would not have guessed that. SF? Man this state has all kinds of hidden gun makers in secret.

Vandal.
06-07-2011, 10:13 AM
would M4-SD comp put a 14.5 upper off the NFA no-no list?

im looking for a comp, so far ballte comp 1.5 is the only one that i know will work with a 14.5 upper... any thoughts?

thanks guys. =)

lsellers
06-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Just a quick heads up. Thanks Joe Bob for the fast service!

Others: I bought the Griffin because I didn't want to wait for the back ordered other brands that I was looking at and it was less expensive. I wish I could give more datapoints but having moved from a standard A2 to the M4SD all I can say is that it works.. and that it's not much louder to shooters on the side.. although easy to tell that it is, infact louder and that it helped to level out my consecutive semi-rapid shots. I wish I had more knowledge and experience to build upon for review but I don't.

Vandal I think, from my random reading (I have a 16 inch heavy barrel so I don't pay too close attention to posts strictly regarding 14.5 barrel lengh issues) but I believe that you are correct. The BC 1.5 is a good option for your length requirement.

Vandal.
06-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Just a quick heads up. Thanks Joe Bob for the fast service!

Others: I bought the Griffin because I didn't want to wait for the back ordered other brands that I was looking at and it was less expensive. I wish I could give more datapoints but having moved from a standard A2 to the M4SD all I can say is that it works.. and that it's not much louder to shooters on the side.. although easy to tell that it is, infact louder and that it helped to level out my consecutive semi-rapid shots. I wish I had more knowledge and experience to build upon for review but I don't.

Vandal I think, from my random reading (I have a 16 inch heavy barrel so I don't pay too close attention to posts strictly regarding 14.5 barrel lengh issues) but I believe that you are correct. The BC 1.5 is a good option for your length requirement.

yeah i also have a 16 inch barrel, i just wanted to see what my options are with a 14.5

HK Dave
06-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Spike's also makes a 1.5" Comp... it's called the Dynacomp. You have to call Spike's directly as it is not on their website.

Yes they are backordered.

Cyc Wid It
06-07-2011, 2:14 PM
Wha? Really? I would not have guessed that. SF? Man this state has all kinds of hidden gun makers in secret.

One of the founders is former SFPD SWAT.

mlevans66
06-07-2011, 3:45 PM
One of the founders is former SFPD SWAT.

Really? Once again I'm dumbfounded. I have a question about these comps cause I've have also been eyeballin these things. Do they improve on accuracy? I heard they are good for CQB but I don't need that on my tackdriver. I'm still looking at a bunch of comps and these two keep coming up.

stormy_clothing
06-07-2011, 4:08 PM
pws or bust

L4D
06-07-2011, 4:15 PM
pws or bust

nobody was asking. lol

JoeBobOutfitters.com
06-07-2011, 8:34 PM
Spike's also makes a 1.5" Comp... it's called the Dynacomp. You have to call Spike's directly as it is not on their website.

Yes they are backordered.

Imagine that ;) :D

We have had some Dynacomps on order for ~2 months now. We should hopefully be seeing some soon so we can compare em side by side w/ the griffin comp.

The Griffin comp is not designed to add 1.5" in length as it adheres to pretty strict A2 specs to be suppressor compatible.

The BC 1.5 or Dynacomp might be good options if you're wanting a comp and not a flash hider that'll keep your BBL " to 16+

ETA: Unsure about WHERE the Griffin comps in the USA are actually machined, but they are made in the USA. The company is Veteraned owned as well. No LEO experience as far as I know, but he was a designated marksmen/sniper apparently, as well as is a defense contractor with Xe or someone similar. Definitely an operator.

Cyc Wid It
06-07-2011, 9:47 PM
Really? Once again I'm dumbfounded. I have a question about these comps cause I've have also been eyeballin these things. Do they improve on accuracy? I heard they are good for CQB but I don't need that on my tackdriver. I'm still looking at a bunch of comps and these two keep coming up.

No comps or brakes are designed to improve accuracy. IIRC a well designed comp shouldn't affect your accuracy with a precision type gun, but you may experience a slight shift in POI.

vintagearms
06-07-2011, 9:55 PM
pws or bust

Justification for your purchase? I know its not from any subjective testing....:p