PDA

View Full Version : Since when mortgage agreement and car registration aren't good enough?

PandaLuv
05-25-2011, 2:14 PM
I went to Canyon Sports in Martinez. Had a horrible experience. Prices were ok, location was horrible, couldn't find the place, it's hidden behind all the body shops in the middle of no where. Except the manager, the staff was a bunch of d*cks, I was treated with no respect . It's not like I was dressed like a hood rat and talked in a rude way. Either way, eff that store. Not going back there.

My question is, do all shops not accept mortgage agreement and car registration for DROS?

I was told that they are no good at that shop. They needed lease agreement or utility bill. I asked why and they told me that I could have a mortgage agreement or the car registered, but it doesn't mean that I live at that address since it could be my vacation house. WTF?! They said utility bill or lease agreement have to be at least for the last 5 months.
So the guy tells me to get these two things when the house is mine and the utility bill is paid by my brother.

I bought a gun before, and all they needed was my green card(since I'm a permanent resident), DL and mortgage agreement.

odysseus
05-25-2011, 2:17 PM
Car reg has always been GTG for me.

Halfey
05-25-2011, 2:19 PM
Some shops will accept my Comcast bill and CA iD, some require auto redge and ID. It's up to the shop how strict the want to be.

c3 rolling
05-25-2011, 2:22 PM
Car reg always worked for me, sometime they even accept the DMV address change card ( little brown card)

Vacaville
05-25-2011, 2:23 PM
What kind of morons wouldn't accept a mortgage agreement? Home ownership beats leasing by a long shot. You could be leasing a house and not live there too.

Mickey D
05-25-2011, 2:26 PM
I went to Canyon Sports in Martinez. Had a horrible experience. Prices were ok, location was horrible, couldn't find the place, it's hidden behind all the body shops in the middle of no where. Except the manager, the staff was a bunch of d*cks, I was treated with no respect . It's not like I was dressed like a hood rat and talked in a rude way. Either way, eff that store. Not going back there.

My question is, do all shops not accept mortgage agreement and car registration for DROS?

I was told that they are no good at that shop. They needed lease agreement or utility bill. I asked why and they told me that I could have a mortgage agreement or the car registered, but it doesn't mean that I live at that address since it could be my vacation house. WTF?! They said utility bill or lease agreement have to be at least for the last 5 months.
So the guy tells me to get these two things when the house is mine and the utility bill is paid by my brother.

I bought a gun before, and all they needed was my green card(since I'm a permanent resident), DL and mortgage agreement.

There's where your problem started.

I haven't been back there in 2 years. Never again.

DOJ says it's good enough, I don't understand why they care. If your ID and reg match you should be GTG.
Vehicle registration has always been good. Even there several years ago.

biloutkast
05-25-2011, 2:27 PM
Take your money elsewhere. They're not worth it.

PandaLuv
05-25-2011, 2:38 PM
What kind of morons wouldn't accept a mortgage agreement? Home ownership beats leasing by a long shot. You could be leasing a house and not live there too.

that's what I was thinking. The guy was an idiot, he kept asking his boss about it. Well, the boss wasn't any smarter.

hkdad
05-25-2011, 2:39 PM
5 months of utility bills? what are they smoking???:confused: if you are a green card holder, you need only 3 months of utility bills. i agree, take your money elsewhere.

Justintoxicated
05-25-2011, 2:43 PM
Jeez, I wouldn't have even had any of those things a year ago. I was renting a bedroom in someones house. No Utility bills, no lease etc...

paul0660
05-25-2011, 2:47 PM
This is not the first thread about that shop.

PandaLuv
05-25-2011, 2:53 PM
Diablo Gun Valley Works is my home, second would be City Arms East. People there are way more knowledgeable and cooler.

This guy didn't even try to sell the gun, his way of putting it was "You can take or leave it, this gun is rare and we will sell it". I asked him if it's been converted, he said "no, it's a CA model" :confused::confused::confused: GSG 1911 CA is not even out yet.

F8ck them, I wait a little longer and buy the gun from Ken at DGVW

elSquid
05-25-2011, 3:50 PM

Feds require 90 days proof of residency for permanent residents as well. It's on the 4473, explanation for line 20(c) IIRC.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/nonimmigrant-aliens.html#green-card

Q: I have a “green card” and have lived in Texas for several years. Am I prohibited from purchasing firearms and ammunition from an FFL in Texas?

As long as you are not otherwise prohibited from purchasing or possessing firearms and ammunition (for example, a felon), Federal law does not prohibit you from purchasing or possessing firearms or ammunition. However, you will need to put your alien number or admission number on the ATF Form 4473 (5300.9) and provide the FFL with documentation establishing you have resided in Texas for more than 90 consecutive days preceding the transaction. Moreover, you must make sure there are no State or local restrictions on such a purchase.

You need to satisfy both CA and federal requirements to purchase.

-- Michael

Nine2Five
05-25-2011, 4:23 PM
I bought my PX4 at Canyon Arms at the begining of March and they accepted my vehicle registration. So I dont know what could have changed since then, beside misinformation between coworkers. I can attest to the negative attitude of the folks working there. Two times in the past I got fed up and left, initially because I couldnt get the time of day, and on the second occasion I was made to feel unwelcome because I wasnt purchasing a gun that very day. This third time an older gentleman was very accomadating and I ended up buying the Beretta. So while Im sure I will return, Canyon Arms is not my first choice.

DT556
05-25-2011, 4:32 PM
Im sorry, go to another store then.
Thats why having a CCW is so much better. All you have to show is your DL and CCW.

mlgs00
05-25-2011, 4:52 PM
I have been there many times, though not recently. I found their prices to be very high compared to other shops in the East Bay. Service? What service? The guy that looks like a biker is the least friendly sales person I have EVER encountered in my life. Rude. Obnoxious. Condescending. I stopped going there and would never recommend that shop to anyone.

MongooseV8
05-25-2011, 5:13 PM
Dont get me started on Canyon Sports. I wouldnt buy anything from them if they were the last gunstore on the planet. I would make my own firearm before giving them any one of my dollars.

DOJ states car reg is accepted and I bet they would like to hear that Canyon isnt willing to use that as second proof of residency.

Go to City Arms instead, I hear they are super nice and have good prices, although I havent yet been there myself.

Retired Dave
05-25-2011, 5:40 PM
Dont get me started on Canyon Sports. I wouldnt buy anything from them if they were the last gunstore on the planet. I would make my own firearm before giving them any one of my dollars..

Exactly. I went into Canyon Sports a couple of times in 2006, when I was shopping for a 1911. Some of the things the salesmen said left me speechless. I won't be going back.

PatriotnMore
05-25-2011, 5:51 PM
Every time I read one these threads about gun shops giving potential customers crap for acceptable forms of ID required for purchases, and then others confirm the experience leaves me stunned. The requirements are clear and written, how this is not understood by dealers is unbelievable, as suggested take your money elsewhere and let them have their product. I ran into this here in the O.C. and they will NEVER get a dime from me, they lost their opportunity.

Bigtwin
05-25-2011, 5:59 PM
ID and vehicle reg. have always worked at the LGS I go to!

Fishslayer
05-25-2011, 6:36 PM
Take your money elsewhere. They're not worth it.

^^^

DL & rego is all I've ever used.

c483125117
05-25-2011, 6:46 PM
Only ever used DL and Car Registration at 4-5 different shops.

PandaLuv
05-25-2011, 6:52 PM
These guys are just a**holes I guess. I was the only customer there, and the only one who was nice was the damn dog(the dog was pretty cool though)

I didn't realize why that shop wasn't so popular. Just wasted gas to drive out there. Stay out of the shop folks, if you live in the area.

Bud11
05-25-2011, 7:57 PM
Used car reg. this past week for first gun.

gorenut
05-25-2011, 7:58 PM
Maybe they didn't like the color shirt you were wearing?

gatesbox
05-25-2011, 8:08 PM
Im sorry, go to another store then.
Thats why having a CCW is so much better. All you have to show is your DL and CCW.

I sold a pistol to a ccw holder transferred at US Firearms, and they still made her find her car reg....I guess ccw isn't even universally accepted as 2nd ID. The fact that various FFLs operate by such vastly different standards is such crap. One won't take out of state ship direct from an out of state seller, another will, different ID requirements, vastly different fees for DROSing Internet purchases.....I swear Calguns needs to establish like four or five regional FFLs to handle all of our deals at cost like my gun club, but even my gun club doesn't have it all figured out.

CapnHawk
05-25-2011, 8:23 PM
Your experience sounds like the run-around I got at Turner's in Pasadena. That chain has lost my business forever.

jeep7081
05-25-2011, 8:24 PM

I always use my registration only without any issue.

SeaweedMonkey
05-25-2011, 8:39 PM
Car reg always worked for me, sometime they even accept the DMV address change card ( little brown card)

sorry for slight off topic post but i tried using the brown address change card at three places within the past 3 months and they all said they dont take it anymore. just letting people know it wont work all the time...

PandaLuv
05-25-2011, 8:57 PM
Maybe they didn't like the color shirt you were wearing?

Lol I was wearing my work clothes. :p
At first I thought they were racist, but then I realized they are just ignorant f&cks.

psango
05-25-2011, 9:10 PM
Too bad they were such AH's. Two shops in the area that have been very good in my experience are J&R in Livermore, and Tracy Rifle and Pistol. I know there are others.

It's their loss, maybe they have more money and customers than they need? Once someone treats me like that I never go back.

GuillermoAntonio
05-25-2011, 10:12 PM
"Originally Posted by PandaLuv
I bought a gun before, and all they needed was my green card(since I'm a permanent resident), DL and mortgage agreement. <
[QUOTE=elSquid;6469733]Feds require 90 days proof of residency for permanent residents as well. It's on the 4473, explanation for line 20(c) IIRC.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/nonimmigrant-aliens.html#green-card

[I][INDENT]Q: I have a “green card” and have lived in Texas for several years. Am I prohibited from purchasing firearms and ammunition from an FFL in Texas?

As long as you are not otherwise prohibited from purchasing or possessing firearms and ammunition (for example, a felon), Federal law does not prohibit you from purchasing or possessing firearms or ammunition. However, you will need to put your alien number or admission number on the ATF Form 4473 (5300.9) and provide the FFL with documentation establishing you have resided in Texas