PDA

View Full Version : buying upper for 1st AR

pacmule
05-25-2011, 2:35 PM
As title says I am looking to buy upper for my first AR. I think I have narrowed it down to buyimg a Stag 2H from BCM, should be just under $550 shipped, ready to fire. Reason for my choice is price and 1:9 twist rate. Was originally set on BCM midlength lightweight, but by the time I get handgaurds, rear sight, CH and BCG will be in the $700 dollar range. Will be shooting mostly handloads using varmint type bullets so 55 to 60 grain so 1:9 will probably work better for me.

So the question I have for you calgunners is: did I miss anything. Any other uppers in $500 to $600 range that will serve me well? looking to keep lightweight, probably 16" but 14.5" would be alright too.

thanks, pacmule

Scutler
05-25-2011, 2:42 PM
Spikes Tactical has great stuff (if you could find them). I was going to go with Spikes until I decided on a BCM. I decided that I don't need to complete my rifle right away and that I would change hanguards regardless of what came on the upper. With that being said... from what I've read over the last six month's, Stag is a great value. My friend actually has the M4 version upper and it shoots well. We were shooting Wolf and it fed all 500 rounds.

jdouglas
05-25-2011, 2:42 PM
When I was getting all of the parts for my first AR15, I considered the Spikes Tactical upper. From what I've read it seems to be pretty good in every aspect, although it does have a 1:7 twist which you might not want. It costs a little more than a Stag upper, although not that much more.

But I have a Stag 1H, and although I haven't shot it extensively (yet), I'm happy with it. :)

Scutler
05-25-2011, 2:55 PM
http://palmettostatearmory.com/2209.php

This is the best value I have seen. All milspec. The bcg is HP and MP tested as well. All the feedback I have seen has been great. If you want a 14.5 inch in your price range then this is the way to go in my opinion.

Justintoxicated
05-25-2011, 3:47 PM

This is the best value I have seen. All milspec. The bcg is HP and MP tested as well. All the feedback I have seen has been great. If you want a 14.5 inch in your price range then this is the way to go in my opinion.

Damn thats only $150 more than I paid for my BCG a while back :(

rareair
05-25-2011, 4:59 PM
So the question I have for you calgunners is: did I miss anything. Any other uppers in $500 to $600 range that will serve me well? looking to keep lightweight, probably 16" but 14.5" would be alright too

If you want to stay witht the latest fade/craze, check out www.midwayusa.com for their Adams Arms' piston'd upper for $599

bombadillo
05-25-2011, 5:38 PM

I bought a palmetto and had to do a bit of fine tuning in the way of filing a tiny hair of metal on the rear takedown hole, but other than that it was great. I had a great time shooting the other day and put a good 200 rounds down the pipe. I had 2 malfunctions and I believe them both to be ammo related. I was shooting crappy south african nato that has given me a lot of problems in the past. I would either check out palmetto or maybe pkfirearms.com. You can get a nice rock river stainless for around the same price, or a custom PK build with free floated quad railed upper for just a hair more.

Edit: and even if you get the Stag, get it through palmetto. Great guys and it'll be shipped to your door for either 12 or 15 bucks more than the price, so 545 otd or so.

Sacramento Black Rifle
05-25-2011, 5:42 PM
http://www.sacramentoblackrifle.com/collections/ar-15-parts/products/sbr-ar15-m4-a2-upper-assembly-5-56-16-1-9-a2-front-sight-post-chrome-molly-standard-bcg

This is a great deal!

pacmule
05-26-2011, 4:24 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies. Definitely some good info there. Liking that 14.5" at palmetto, though still not sure on 1:7 twist. Like the 16" M4 lightwieght RRA at PKfirearms too.
so many choices!!

thanks, pacmule

dieselpower
05-26-2011, 5:18 AM
CMMG 556 LE series WASP upper. a heck more accurate than standard chrome lining. Chrome lining helps control corrosion on barrels in harsh environments and poor cleaning habits. It has always been thought of as a fair trade off for accuracy. Not any more. With the UKs technical advances in salt bath nitrocarbonizing, standard single layer chrome lining is bunk. Glock, HK, Sig are all doing it. Glock is 100% in the game. I hear LWRC is doing it as well as I know CMMG.

Its a cheaper right now. It produces a harder finish all over the barrel, You do not lose accuracy in the rifling, it protects from corrosion just as well if not better.

you dont need MPI tested barrels if you are not getting 4150CMV.

Standard testing on a 4140 steel barrel is fine, has been for over 60 years.

CMMG 556 NATO WASP 1/9. Its their LE series on the website.

evollep3
05-26-2011, 10:44 AM
CMMG 556 LE series WASP upper. a heck more accurate than standard chrome lining. Chrome lining helps control corrosion on barrels in harsh environments and poor cleaning habits. It has always been thought of as a fair trade off for accuracy. Not any more. With the UKs technical advances in salt bath nitrocarbonizing, standard single layer chrome lining is bunk. Glock, HK, Sig are all doing it. Glock is 100% in the game. I hear LWRC is doing it as well as I know CMMG.

Its a cheaper right now. It produces a harder finish all over the barrel, You do not lose accuracy in the rifling, it protects from corrosion just as well if not better.

you dont need MPI tested barrels if you are not getting 4150CMV.

Standard testing on a 4140 steel barrel is fine, has been for over 60 years.

CMMG 556 NATO WASP 1/9. Its their LE series on the website.

I can second the wasp finish.

even thos you get a lot of old timers that are stuck on the chrome line thing and now little or havent even tried the new uppers

nrvnqsrxk
05-26-2011, 10:46 AM
For it being your first AR, I'd go with something 16" so you can swap out FH and try out different rails, if that's something you'd like to do in the future.