PDA

View Full Version : rim fire flash hider

atlas
12-08-2006, 7:44 PM
If you had a break down 22lr rifle, could you put a flash hider on it and have a barrel that only with the flash hider attached was 16", but still be able to disassemble the flash hider from the barrel when you went to store the rifle?

What level of permanence is required?

SemiAutoSam
12-08-2006, 7:50 PM
NO that's not allowed it would be considered a SBR NFA applies here

It would have to be permanently attached pinned, welded or silver solder 1200 degrees from memory.

GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND.

blkA4alb
12-08-2006, 7:52 PM
If you had a break down 22lr rifle, could you put a flash hider on it and have a barrel that only with the flash hider attached was 16", but still be able to disassemble the flash hider from the barrel when you went to store the rifle?

What level of permanence is required?
NO. The flash hider must be permanantly attached. It must be welded, or blind pinned and welded over (there are other ways, I'm no expert.)

If the flash hider can be taken off you will constructively be possessing a SBR on the state and federal level.

atlas
12-08-2006, 7:58 PM
alright then. it sounds like its not an option short of lots of money.

Thanks.

RANGER295
12-08-2006, 10:03 PM
alright then. it sounds like its not an option short of lots of money.

Thanks.
The barrel and FH wont cost anymore than you were already thinking of and a weld costs next to nothing as long as you have the welder. If not I am sure you can find a member on here that would let you use one.
Edit: Weld/pin the FH before you put the barrel on the rifle if you do this.

atlas
12-08-2006, 11:04 PM
it would seem from the other members posts that you have to have a AW licensed gunsmith do it. Is that the gist of it?

NeoWeird
12-09-2006, 12:03 AM
I don't believe so. There is no law that says once a rifle barrel always a rifle barrel, and many people who make pistols out of what is commonly a rifle (like an AR, AK, Ruger 10/22, etc) commonly cut down rifle barrels to pistol barrels. Now if you possess a barrel under 16" and you do not own a pistol receiver, and DO own a rifle receiver, then you could be looking at trouble if you have it for any period of time. However I have heard of many people who cut down their own barrels and permanently attach a muzzle device themselves. It's kind of like the fixed mag thing and being able to take the magazine out for repairs. As long as it is in a reasonable time frame (ie in one sitting) you should be ok.

ETA: Two easy do-it-yourself methods is there is a paste from Brownells that you put on the threads and screw your muzzle device on, like Anti-Seize, and then use a torch until it bubbles up at which point it is silver soldered in place sufficient to ATF standards. A second method is to drill a hole through ONE side of your muzzle device where the threads are located. You then screw on the muzzle device and use the same drill to drill another .100" or so into the barrel (NOT into the rifling). You then use a pin, I've heard 1/8 drill bit and a coat hanger work great together, and then you tac weld the opening closed. Then file smooth and use cold blue to hide.

blkA4alb
12-09-2006, 10:07 AM
No, he would still be committing a felony. It does not matter if the barrel is attached or not, contructive possession still applies. Do not possess the short barrel and the actual gun at ANYTIME.

RANGER295
12-09-2006, 10:56 AM
I would not spend the $ on something like this but will use it as and example. Lets say that I order a single shot AR pistol receiver (should be ok without the drop test and all). At the same time I order an AR pistol upper. The pistol upper comes to my house and the receivers goes to my FFL where it sits for 10 days. Would I be in violation of constructive possession laws because I also have OLLís and could use that upper for a SBR? Would I make a difference if all of the OLLís were built? Assuming I would be ok in either of the first two scenarios, would it change anything if I changed my mind and sent back the receiver because I thought it looked like crap but decided to keep the upper because I might be moving to a free state or something like that? In the case of the posters question, would it make a difference if the rifle was fully built and he planned to change barrels? If I would be AWOL in all of these scenarios, what constitutes constructive possession? Owning the same parts or having them together? Could I have the receiver at home and the barrel in my barn on another piece of property. Or the receiver at my house and the barrel at my parents house?

JPglee1
12-09-2006, 3:33 PM
The barrel and FH wont cost anymore than you were already thinking of and a weld costs next to nothing as long as you have the welder. If not I am sure you can find a member on here that would let you use one.

I'd gladly weld it for him for $10.00 US plus shipping.

Same applies to anyone out there, if you got a brake you need permanently welded I'll do it for $10.00 US plus shipping, assuming the barrel is reasonably clean and ready to weld to.

JP

12-09-2006, 7:15 PM
Why would you take it off to store it?

RANGER295
12-09-2006, 7:22 PM
Why would you take it off to store it?
Maybe something like an AR-7?