PDA

View Full Version : SoCal Indoor Rifle friendly ranges

Prc329
12-08-2006, 7:41 PM
O.K., my Google skills are not what they were. I am looking for an indoor range to take my AR to for a test shoot or 20. I know LAX will if you buy there ammo. What is another place to go?

Paratus et Vigilans
12-08-2006, 8:36 PM
It's a hike from Long Beach, but Iron Sights in Oceanside is a great place to bring your AR's, and they don't require you to buy their ammo. They will check yours to make sure it's okay on their range.

They do have good ammo prices, though, and stock 6.8mm SPC as well as 5.56/.223. Nice place, good crowd, worth the drive! :)

I didn't know LAX was okay with AR's. That's good to know. I've only shot handguns there before.

Prc329
12-08-2006, 8:42 PM
Not sure about ARs, but rifles in general are allowed. You just have to buy there ammo.

JH2
12-08-2006, 8:43 PM
If you are up for a drive to the SFV, Augora Hills Target Range allows rifles. You can bring your own ammo.

jumbopanda
12-08-2006, 9:01 PM
I think LAX allows rifles only when you buy their frangible ammo.

jumbopanda
12-08-2006, 9:02 PM
It's a hike from Long Beach, but Iron Sights in Oceanside is a great place to bring your AR's, and they don't require you to buy their ammo. They will check yours to make sure it's okay on their range.

They do have good ammo prices, though, and stock 6.8mm SPC as well as 5.56/.223. Nice place, good crowd, worth the drive! :)

I didn't know LAX was okay with AR's. That's good to know. I've only shot handguns there before.

An indoor range that allows rifle calibers without frangible ammo? I've never heard of one before, I'll have to check it out.

Paratus et Vigilans
12-08-2006, 9:08 PM
An indoor range that allows rifle calibers without frangible ammo? I've never heard of one before, I'll have to check it out.

Yep. FMJ is the order of the day. They don't allow Wolf steel cases or steel core ammo. That's about all as far as restrictions.

kap
12-08-2006, 9:41 PM
I think LAX allows rifles only when you buy their frangible ammo.
I can confirm this is true. You must buy their ammo as jumbo stated.

AJD
12-08-2006, 9:52 PM
On-Target in Laguna Niguel allows Rifles. http://www.on-targetrange.com/

jumbopanda
12-08-2006, 10:31 PM
They don't allow Wolf steel cases

Weak. I need a place to dump a bunch of Wolf 7.62x39

TheClap1
12-08-2006, 10:48 PM
Yeah the LAX allows rifles but there fragible ammo is pretty expensive.

azn_wrx
12-08-2006, 10:54 PM
On target changed their backstop so you do not need to use frangible ammo. Supposedly the back stop is capable of stopping .50 bmg but they arent going to let you shoot it. Thank god because the 5 freeway is right on the otherside ;)

grammaton76
12-08-2006, 11:03 PM
Another vote for Iron Sights. They'll allow 30'06 and 50 Beowulf, to cite a few memorable calibers. They don't allow BMG, of course.

somekevinguy
12-09-2006, 12:58 AM
There are outdoor ranges closer to him than Iron Sights. I assume he was just looking for the closest place rather than an indoor range. I hate indoor ranges and will only go to one if I don't feel like driving farther to an outdoor one.

grammaton76
12-09-2006, 1:24 AM
There are outdoor ranges closer to him than Iron Sights. I assume he was just looking for the closest place rather than an indoor range. I hate indoor ranges and will only go to one if I don't feel like driving farther to an outdoor one.

Name of the thread is "SoCal Indoor Rifle friendly ranges", which renders all outdoors ranges irrelevant. :)

Although I have a hunch his primary reason for wanting to be indoors might be time of day. I drive a half hour north to Iron Sights because it's actually open at night (until 10pm), and I can actually shoot there after work.

Prc329
12-09-2006, 5:33 AM
The idea was to go to a range today (saturday) that was indoors since it is supposed to rain today (rained last night already). Not to mention I just didn't feel like going to Angeles and dealing with that traffic on the way back. :) Coming back from the OC will be much easier then from Angeles and going past downtown LA. I also did not want to be forced to buy range ammo since I wanted to see how my guns work with the ammo I have and will most likely use. Plus a place to shoot at night is a good idea as well.

CSACANNONEER
12-09-2006, 10:25 AM
Agoura Target Range allow anything upto and including 50bmg and even class III stuff, as long as its legal and you have the right paperwork. You can bring your own ammo including AP, just NO pyrotechnics!

jumbopanda
12-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Agoura Target Range allow anything upto and including 50bmg and even class III stuff, as long as its legal and you have the right paperwork. You can bring your own ammo including AP, just NO pyrotechnics!

Why can't all indoor (and outdoor for that matter) ranges be like this? :D

mblat
12-09-2006, 11:02 AM
Weak. I need a place to dump a bunch of Wolf 7.62x39

My house? Or you want me to stop by yours? :)